Kanye to The banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Banned
5,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BUDDHISM
[click buddha and be amazed by dopeness. :robo:]

Buddhism is more Philosophy than Religion, imo.
The story of Siddhartha Gautama is very inspirational, I recommend you pick up a book from a local library, store, etc. or watch a documentary on his life.
Im not an expert on Buddhism, just so we're clear.
Talk and Learn from one another.

Sacred Texts of Buddhism to study if interested:
http://www.sacred-texts.com/bud/

Buddhist Forum I Recommend [has great stuff for beginners, info on buddhism, meditation, etc.]:
http://newbuddhist.com/forum/index.php

Buddism IS NOT about worshipping Siddhartha Gautama, although paying respects to his life and what he accomplished is nice..lol.
and you CAN BE OF ANOTHER RELIGION AND BE A BUDDHIST.
Although it may be frowned upon, its not up to others what you wish to do with your life.
There are Muslims, Christians, Jews, and many different people of many different religious standings who do hold some of the core beliefs of Buddhism highly in their lives.
:robo:

Table of Contents
Lesson 1: Introduction To Buddhism - Page 1
Lesson 2: The Life of Prince Siddhartha Gautama (Part 1) - Page 2

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
What I like about Buddhists is that the religion want you to enjoy live and  your not obligated to do stuff. Comparing to like
Muslim you have to do ramadan, not drink alchool etc.. and christian you have to go to church etc..
I like to be free.  :dno:

·
Banned
5,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wake Up Mr. West said:
i wanna convert to it
I truly recommend.

Diesel said:
What I like about Buddhists is that the religion want you to enjoy live and  your not obligated to do stuff. Comparing to like
Muslim you have to do ramadan, not drink alchool etc.. and christian you have to go to church etc..
I like to be free.  :dno:
thats really why i began studying Buddhism.

·
Banned
5,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wake Up Mr. West said:
the thing is, there are no buddhist churches where i live
neither where I live, I turned my closet into my own personal temple. :D
but you dont have to go to a church/temple/whatever to be a Buddhist though.
Educating yourself on Siddhartha's teachings and many other Buddha's teachings and embracing a lifestyle of freedom and peace is really all you need.
Its also dependent on how you feel about it, even though you may not really wish to be a really peaceful being [im peaceful but i wont hesitate to fight or anything if i feel threatened] you can always take what youve learned from Buddhism to help conquer obstacles in life.
for example:

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Buddhism is the best religion imo because it's so peaceful. I'm Hindu so I believe in Buddha and his teachings and we believe he was a reincarnation of Vishnu. And it would be awesome if you could create posts about Buddhism  :banana:

·
Banned
5,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lesson 1: Intro Into Buddhism
:D
[Here is some music to play while you read along if you'd like:]

Buddhism is well known across the world, it is the 6th most major religion in the world [this may be wrong, if you believe so tell me i will correct it].
Buddha translates roughly to "Awakened One".
It is the path for many to enlightenment.
Many different Buddhists follow many different teachings. It is okay to feel confused and ask what something means, I myself may find myself unable to find the answer to something and ask about it.
I'll be taking these lessons at a slow pace at first to make sure there are some people interested.

Im hoping by posting brief lessons every other day I can help you find your path to enlightenment and peace in Buddhism or in Life in generals as many others have.

Some famous Buddhists [some may be wrong, im getting my info on celebrity Buddhists online so if anything ever seems wrong just tell me, this is most what this thread is for, for Buddhists and non-buddhists to help one another learn]:

Steven Seagull[lol]

Herbie Hancock:

Gaara:

George Lucas:

Jackie Chan:

Wesley Snipes:

Buddhism is a philosophy to some and religion to others. What you wish to call it and make it in your life is completely up to you.
Some worship Siddhartha's image, while some don't.
This thread isnt based off one particular practice of Buddhism.
The Lessons I post may not be thoroughly correct, but with your help we can all learn from this experience.
I hope to get at least 5 people interested in Buddhism tbh. lol. That'd be dope.
It may be a few days til I am able to post Lesson 2 [that is if everyone is still interested], but I promise it will be a fulfilling lesson. ill try to keep the lessons simple and easy to understand.
and although I'm not so sure this is an actual quote from Buddha, Id like to end with it, because it does kind of go with this Intro into Buddhism, imo.
I love this quote personally because it reminds me that everything takes time, whether it be growing as a musician, or learning about Buddhism,
"A jug fills drop by drop" - Siddhartha Gautama

[my next post will be about Siddhartha Gautama and his Life.
that way if you dont really feel like watching a documentary or reading a book or anything you wont have to.]

·
Registered
26,500 Posts
whats a good documentary about this

ive been wanting to learn more about this for a min seeing that im big on karma

·
Registered
53,164 Posts
I'm the kind of person who doesn't really have a religion and have made my own beliefs over time, but I can certainly agree with some aspects of Buddhism, more so than I can with other religions.

·
Banned
5,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
king. said:
whats a good documentary about this

ive been wanting to learn more about this for a min seeing that im big on karma
tomorrow ill give you a few.

DS said:
I've adopted many Buddhist principles into my life.

Island By Aldous Huxley will change your life I guarantee it
im deff checking this out.

and i found a buddhist temple in Charlotte, NC.  :tash:
love NC.
im thinking about going.
and i wish there were more Buddhists on KTT.. christians and atheists...but no buddhists.  :facepalm:

·
Banned
5,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Lesson 2: The Life of Prince Siddhartha Gautama (Part 1: Siddhartha)

Im going to make this quick and convenient to avoid boredom, and since there isnt a set date when he was born and even the year isnt positively known im skipping the typical things youd see in a "The Life of [insert anyones name]" type lesson/article/whatever.

There was once a king and queen in India, the queen had a dream that an elephant offered her a lotus and then implanted itself inside of her womb, when she asked what this meant she was told her she would have a son who would be either a great conqueror or a holy man who would become enlightened.

10 months later she gave birth to a son who her and the king would name Siddhartha Gautama. She would die 7 days after giving birth. As Prince Siddhartha grew older he was surrounded by all luxuries in the King's palace, he needn't leave the palace because he was given everything he could imagine wanting. He was given 3 ponds, one which bloomed red lotuses, one which bloomed blue and another which bloomed white. When it would rain Prince Siddhartha would stay inside and enjoy music and dancing women. He only knew happiness because his father didnt want him to leave the palace, he wanted his son not to grow to be a holy man but instead be a great conqueror. Siddhartha one day left the palace and was driven by an attendant, Siddhartha seen a man who was old and asked "What is that?", the attendant replied with "That is change, people grow old."

The next time he left the palace Siddhartha encountered a sick man and asked "What is that??", he was met with the reply of "That is sickness, people get sick."

The next time he left the palace Siddhartha and the attendant encountered a corpse, Siddhartha realized death and now realized even more that the world is suffering, what he was hidden from while he grew up.

The next time he left the palace he met an Ascetic. Ascetics are people who barely eat and choose to live on the edge of life and live in poverty and meditate and torture themselves and shed themselves of material desire and all desire.

Siddhartha was married to his cousin, they had a child. One night while His wife slept with their child in her hands he looked at them in the dark. He decided to not pick up his child and hold him, for it would be too painful for him. Siddhartha left the palace on a horse to never return again.

He went to a guru who taught him meditation and yoga for many years. He then, after years of this, realized that the trances of meditation gave only a temporary escape from suffering. He left the teacher.

He became an Ascetic himself, and tortured himself only eating a grain of rice a day. After many years of this, and incredible torture, he realized that even though he had shed himself of all desire and material things, suffering still existed in him and he was still unhappy. On this particular day he realized that this isnt the way to spiritual purity either and at that instance a girl came to him and offered him a bowl of porridge, he accepted and ate it. He then was overcame with happiness from realizing the good in the heart of the girl.

He left and went and began eating again and he bathed and then he went and sat under a Bodhi tree. He decided he would not leave this sitting until he had found a solution to his issues. He sat and meditated, battling with desire and many other things, until he finally realized the correct path in life....

/end of part 1: Siddhartha.

the next part ill do tonight will be called Lesson 2 (Part 2): The Buddha.
thats the part where ill talk about what he realized through meditation.
:robo:

[if you wish to learn more about Siddhartha Gautama's life i will have a list of great documentaries/books at the end of part 2 of lesson 2. :D]

1 - 20 of 71 Posts