Kanye to The banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.okayplayer.com/music/who-invented-trap-music.html

Trap music has roots going back to the early '90s.

In an interview we conducted with Big Boi a couple of months ago, the rapper said that the very first time you heard trap on a song was on "SpottieOttieDopaliscious," off of the 1998 album Aquemini. On the song Big Boi caps off his verse by saying: "So now you back in the trap. Just that, trapped. Go on and marinate on that for a minute."

But the word trap goes back all the way to 1991. On Kilo Ali's debut album, America Has a Problem, he raps "quarter to three before I hit the trap" on "Keep on Rollin." After that, you heard other legendary Atlanta acts rap about the trap. Acts like Ghetto Mafia, check "In Da Paint," and Goodie Mob - listen to "Dirty South."

But it was really Dungeon Family's Cool Breeze who exemplified what modern day trap music sounded like - highly skilled, intricate drug dealing raps over brooding production. That sound could be heard all over his classic debut East Point's Greatest Hits, which he didn't call trap music, specifically. But it's trap music.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
i think they are arguing over who invented trap MUSIC not the word "trap"

cuz stankonia dropped 2000 and had snappin and trappin

snap = street ***** after paper
trap = take risks and prosper

·
Registered
25,306 Posts
Lil Daddie said:
i think they are arguing over who invented trap MUSIC not the word "trap"

cuz stankonia dropped 2000 and had snappin and trappin

snap = street ***** after paper
trap = take risks and prosper
I made that argument in another thread

Idk what ****** arguing about anymore tbh

Is it the sound? Or the word? Lol

TI came up with term trap music but he wasn’t the first to use the word nor was he the first to use that sound

I’m so confused

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
2-ill said:
I made that argument in another thread

Idk what ****** arguing about anymore tbh

Is it the sound? Or the word? Lol

TI came up with term trap music but he wasn’t the first to use the word nor was he the first to use that sound

I’m so confused
ya i def think ti out of pocket. and sounds take so long to evolve that u cant pinpoint who did what. i think the most drastic changes to sounds are like lil jon makin crunk, zaytovens sound always stood out to me and then lex luger is the forefather of todays sound with everybody after sorta using his sound as a template for theirs, but lex to me is closer to drill sound. idk lol producers never get enough credit

·
Registered
18,054 Posts
Why does anyone care who used the word "trap" first in a song??? I'm so confused why this is becoming such a big deal, ain't about who did it first it's about who did it better

1 - 20 of 23 Posts