Kanye to The banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So some of you may have seen my criticism of WTT and some of you have agreed and some of you have disagreed. Now realize I never said it was a bad record, but it was very flawed.

Slowly though, my opinion of the record right now is strangely positive. Yes, it's still very flawed. "Lift Off", while one of my favorite PRODUCED tracks, has no lyrical value whatsoever. "Why I Love You's" abrupt ending really stalls the record from being one of the best. Kanye isn't on this record as much as he should have been. But at the end of the day, it's definitely a record that pushes some boundaries.

What I think I overlooked were some of the lyrics. Some of them are some of Jay's and Ye's best and its great that they showed a wide variety of their thoughts. Some of the references to their rich lifestyles say something that I probably didn't see the first time.

I've listened to WTT about 11-12 times trying to figure the record out, and for now, while I know now it'll never be MBDTF Pt. 2, it's a good record with tons of quotables.

·
Registered
26,181 Posts
WTT grows on ya. At least that's what ****** In Paris did to me. That shit cray! Didn't like it at first. Still don't enjoy Who Gon Stop Me and Why I Love You that much though.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
very few songs do I like on a first listen so i wasn't too disappointed when i wasnt totally in love with WTT at first but now i <3 it

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SpotLight said:
strangely?! its fucking KANYE WEST & JAY-Z.
Lol, I know, but usually with these types of records, they're not growers as a whole. When I first listened to LR, I KNEW it was a classic. When I first listened to MBDTF, I KNEW it was an event for hip-hop. This record is different in that it gets better when it sits with you for a while.

·
Registered
10,902 Posts
The Illmatic Dropout said:
Lol, I know, but usually with these types of records, they're not growers as a whole. When I first listened to LR, I KNEW it was a classic. When I first listened to MBDTF, I KNEW it was an event for hip-hop. This record is different in that it gets better when it sits with you for a while.
do you feel it's a classic? I'm on the fence. it's historic but idk about classic.

·
Registered
24,536 Posts
So some of you may have seen my criticism of WTT and some of you have agreed and some of you have disagreed. Now realize I never said it was a bad record, but it was very flawed.

Slowly though, my opinion of the record right now is strangely positive. Yes, it's still very flawed. "Lift Off", while one of my favorite PRODUCED tracks, has no lyrical value whatsoever. "Why I Love You's" abrupt ending really stalls the record from being one of the best. Kanye isn't on this record as much as he should have been. But at the end of the day, it's definitely a record that pushes some boundaries.

What I think I overlooked were some of the lyrics. Some of them are some of Jay's and Ye's best and its great that they showed a wide variety of their thoughts. Some of the references to their rich lifestyles say something that I probably didn't see the first time.

I've listened to WTT about 11-12 times trying to figure the record out, and for now, while I know now it'll never be MBDTF Pt. 2, it's a good record with tons of quotables.
That's what Im talkin about

·
Registered
332 Posts
It is a masterpiece because it explores different era and genders of music...and the cohesion is just beautiful

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
SpotLight said:
do you feel it's a classic? I'm on the fence. it's historic but idk about classic.
Definitely. That record is musically the best hip-hop record in the past decade. There are so many layers and so many different textures that hip-hop didn't even discover until this record. His decision to work with Jon Brion was probably the first time we saw Ye make a decision out of his comfort zone and it worked out beautifully.

This is gonna be a weird analogy, but Late Registration is like a solar system with the songs being planets, each different sizes made of different elements that are explored intricately. And since then, I've realized that great albums can take two paths: they are either tightly bound with the same themes, sounds, people like classical suites or they are bound by how different and vast they can be like classical symphonies.

·
Registered
42 Posts
finally, i found a thread like this, because I have to say that I WANT TO KILL MYSELF, after the second listening. this is seriously the best hiphop album (after mbdtf) ever.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
This is just my opinion now
but to be comepletely honest
I've listened to the album about 10 times now and every time I listen to it it gets worse and worse to me
at first I couldn't listen to ****** In Paris, Welcome To The Jungle and Made In America
and now I can only listen to Gotta Have It, Murder To Excellence and Why I Love You
idk whats up, I truly want to like the album but cant. Maybe I'll just let it sit in my itunes for a while and come back to it in a couple of weeks

·
Registered
24,512 Posts
Green Tea-zy said:
This is just my opinion now
but to be comepletely honest
I've listened to the album about 10 times now and every time I listen to it it gets worse and worse to me
at first I couldn't listen to ****** In Paris, Welcome To The Jungle and Made In America
and now I can only listen to Gotta Have It, Murder To Excellence and Why I Love You
idk whats up, I truly want to like the album but cant. Maybe I'll just let it sit in my itunes for a while and come back to it in a couple of weeks
Don't force yourself to like it

If it's not your cup of tea then it's not and that's cool

·
Registered
967 Posts

Completely agree
I love every song now except welcome to the jungle and Who Gon Stop Me and even those are alright!
I was so dissapointed my first listen but now I literally can't wait to bang this when I get home or get my iphone!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts