Kanye to The banner

PS Vita vs. 3DS

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that we're close enough to the Vita's release date and know enough about it, I thought I would do a comparison, as the DS and PSP franchise seem to always be compared.

Display

PS Vita: 5-inch, 960x544, 220ppi
3DS: 3.53-inch, 3D, 800x240, 237ppi

With the PS Vita, you get a massive 5-inch OLED touch-screen with a resolution of 960x550 pixels. Considering the size of the screen, that's amazing. Games and movies will look flawless. Also, it's been said the the PS Vita has "graphics almost on par with the PS3," which is amazing.

On the other hand, the 3DS has an 800x240 pixel resolution, which is slightly higher than that of the Vita's, but when it comes down to it, the Vita will still look better. That said, the 3DS only has one advantage in this category. 3D, obviously. And 3D without glasses, that's something that we haven't seen before.

When it comes down to it, the display on Sony's PS Vita has the edge here. With its 5-inch OLED screen and 960x550 pixel resolution, it's still no match for the 3DS's 3D capability. Added to that, the PS Vita will have amazing color at low battery cost. Plus, the PS Vita's screen is going to be perfect for watching movies with it's big screen and high resolution, making me hope more and more that I will be able to download a Netflix app on it.

Power

PS Vita: Quad-core ARM Cortex-A9 MPCore, SGX543MP4+ GPU
3DS: 2x 266MHz ARM11, 64MB RAM, PICA200 GPU

PS Vita obviously wins here. I'm not going to spend any time with this category because we all know that the Vita has the edge here because of the fact that it uses a quad-core processor with a much faster GPU than the 3DS.

Connectivity

PS Vita: Wi-Fi, 3G, Bluetooth 2.1
3DS: Wi-Fi

Need I say more?

Media

PS Vita: NVG Cards, PlayStation Store Downloads, PSP Downloads
3DS: DS Compatible, 2GB Flash, SD Card Slot

With the PS Vita, there's a couple ways to get games. With Sony's new "NVG" cards coming in 2GB and 4GB versions as of now (will most likely be expanded), and PlayStation Portable game downloads via the PlayStation Store. No more UMDs. That's a good thing, by the way.

Along with the new 3D capable games on the 3DS, you will also be able to play DS games on it. The 3DS comes with 2GB of flash memory as well as an SD card slot.

This category ends up being a draw, as gamers can get games-both old and new-for both devices with much ease.

Games

PS Vita: 30 Launch Titles (May differ)
3DS: 15 Launch Titles, many added

This is the big category, one most gamers look at them most so I will try and do my best to make this category as accurate as possible.

Although there is still no official word, the PS Vita will be launched with (most likely) 30 launch titles. Some include gamers' favorites such as Killzone, Resistance, Uncharted, LittleBigPlanet, and maybe even Call of Duty (Thank God for dual analog sticks) as well as many new games that will integrate all of the PS Vita's impressive innovations. It seems the PS Vita will have no problem in this category.

When the 3DS first launched, it came with 15 launch titles including Nintendogs + Cats, Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition, and Pilotwings Resort. All of these looked great in the 3DS's dazzling 3D support. Many more games have been added to the list since the 3DS's launch, and by the time the Vita is out they will many new gamers' favorites such as Mario and Zelda.

At the end of the day, both devices will deliver a large selection of great games using both devices' innovations that will keep gamers playing for hours.

Controls

PS Vita: D-Pad, Touchscreen, Gyroscope, Rear Touch-Pad, X, Square, Triangle, and Circle Buttons, Dual Analog Sticks, Left and Right Shoulder Buttons, Start Button, Select button
3DS: D-Pad, Gyroscope, Analog Stick, X, Y, A, and B Buttons, Left and Right shoulder Buttons, Home Button, Star Button, Select Button

Not much to say here but the Vita definitely has the edge. It seems more comfortable (by its looks) and with the front touchscreen and rear touch-pad, the possibilities are endless.

Portability

The 3DS wins here, although I would never play a 3DS out in public because of the fact that I don't want to be playing with the same device as the nine year old girl next to me. With the PS Vita, yeah, sure it's big, but the graphics and power of it make up for that. 3DS still has the edge, obviously.

Camera

PS Vita: 2D video capture, 640×480, 0.3MP, 2D images
3DS: 2D video capture, 640×480, 3D playback, 0.3MP 3D images

The 3DS has the edge here, but only because it can play video in 3D and take 3D pictures, otherwise it'd be a draw. The 3D video playback and 3D still camera is awesome, I do have to say.

Social

PS Vita: Full PlayStation Network Capability, Near, Party
3DS: Messaging System, StreetPass

With the PSP and PSPGo, there really was no way to connect with friends or play online or anything like that. No trophies, you couldn't even see your friend list. With the PS Vita, you get ALL PlayStation Network capabilities, plus Near and Party. Near allows you to find what other PS Vita users around you are playing and what games they like the most. With Party, you can connect with friends and chat (both text and voice) during whatever your doing. You can be playing different games, the same game, whatever, and chat at the same time. Pretty cool. I just hope they add that to the PS3 soon.

With StreetPass on the 3DS, the device will detect other 3DS's around you and allow you to play games with them. You can also send messages using the Messaging System, which replaces PictoChat.

The PS Vita has the edge in this category because of the added PlayStation Network capabilities. Nintendo has yet to make a service or network that can even come close to comparing to all the things you can do with PlayStation Network.

Price

PS Vita: Wi-Fi: $249.99, 3G: $299.99
3DS: Originally $249.99, Currently $169.99

The PS Vita has been confirmed that its starting price will be $249.99 for the Wi-Fi model and $299.99 for the 3G model. That is a GREAT price considering what you receive, plus Sony was first considering to make it around $400. The price will go down, obviously, after some time.

The 3DS started out at $249.99, but after sales flopped, the price dropped to an amazing $169.99. Anyone who bought the device at $249.99 will receive 20 free games.

The 3DS has the edge here. `Nuff said.

Conclusion

My conclusion is that the PS Vita is far more superior to the 3DS. With it's massive screen, great graphics, good selection of titles, and more, it definitely beats the 3DS. The 3DS is still fun, though, and Nintendo did a great job with it.

Thoughts?

I will put up a poll soon, no worries.

Feel free to post your own reviews, and discuss mine.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Haha I don't know why I wasted my time comparing all those things because my review (I guess you could call it that sorta) sucked. I predict about 15% of the people who enter this thread will actually read it.

:kanyeshrug:

·
Premium Member
133,380 Posts
when they were both $250 vita no doubt

now there is a $80 difference it could go either wey

still though i would prefer a vita by far

·
Registered
63,121 Posts
The Vita will have the better hardware, while the 3DS will have the better games. The $80 price difference between the two also makes the 3DS quite enticing. While the Vita has the potential to be a great system, I'll stick with my 3DS.

·
Registered
63,728 Posts
Gonna buy a 3DS on August 12, the Vita is clearly the better multimedia and technical device but i don't really need all that stuff, i got other mobile devices to listen to music or go to the internet and stuff like that

·
Registered
23,388 Posts
3DS is most likely gonna pull out the win IMO. Vita definitely has the better specs and hardware, but from what i've seen of the 3DS's current library, and what's to come in the future, it's going to win because of the library.

same thing that happened between the PSP and DS.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
JCM said:
3DS is most likely gonna pull out the win IMO. Vita definitely has the better specs and hardware, but from what i've seen of the 3DS's current library, and what's to come in the future, it's going to win because of the library.

same thing that happened between the PSP and DS.
Naah, the PS3 didn't have good games like Uncharted and Killzone and LittleBigPlanet. As far as games go they're tied.

·
Banned
1,883 Posts
I'm kinda done with portable gaming outside of the iPhone tbh.

I barely end up playing them lol.

I spent like 300 on a PSP when it first came out, and I stopped playing it like a year later

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Pinhead Larry said:
I'm kinda done with portable gaming outside of the iPhone tbh.

I barely end up playing them lol.

I spent like 300 on a PSP when it first came out, and I stopped playing it like a year later
I feel ya but all the PSPs so far flopped, especially with the lack of PSN capabilities, but Sony really fixed that shit with the Vita. I'd be amazed if it flops, especially with wide variety of amazing games coming out for it.

·
Banned
1,883 Posts
^ Idk, it still might flop, I feel like the portable gaming industry isn't as big as it used to be.

for 250, someone could buy an Xbox 360 or a used PS3

·
Premium Member
122,085 Posts
even for $250 the vita is still wayyyyyyyyyyy more value than the 3ds at the recent $180.

vita >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 3ds

not even close

·
Registered
195,493 Posts
Kingly said:
Haha I don't know why I wasted my time comparing all those things because my review (I guess you could call it that sorta) sucked. I predict about 15% of the people who enter this thread will actually read it.

:kanyeshrug:
i actually read it :h5: good reviews. i agree for all of them except maybe controls

1 - 20 of 52 Posts