Kanye to The banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And one of three tracks we look at is "21st Century Schizoid Man". Of course the teacher loves it. What a piece. of. shit. (I knew my teacher was on his game tonight when he called guitar pedals "foot buttons".)

I like hip-hop for its entertainment value but the best thing I've gotten out of it since I started listening is the sampling. I've been exposed to a shit-ton of old-school stuff and now I can call Ye a definite maestro for his ability to turn Crimson's brain dump into "Power".

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's 'History of Rock and Roll'. Funny fact: we don't cover Jimi Hendrix for one second but we spent two and a half hours on Frank Zappa and King Crimson. (Velvet Underground too but I naturally fancy them so I don't mind much)

And I love Kanye's sampling. His production is my favorite thing about him; he can pull the best stuff from an overall average to crap record and use it to his advantage.

·
Premium Member
6,185 Posts
costeezy said:
Got it. What % of his own record does he produce then? I'm sure it varies but do we have an idea for MBDTF?
I ain't him or Kanye so I can't give you exact numbers. I think his son said awhile ago on KL that he came up with the sample and the drums/drum pattern.

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
costeezy said:
Got it. What % of his own record does he produce then? I'm sure it varies but do we have an idea for MBDTF?
s1 did the 21st century sample and the cold grits sample

while kanye did the afromerica sample as well as that epic ending

·
Registered
516 Posts
The best part of the original song is when it goes "21st Century Schizoid Man" LOLOLOL

BTW idk if anyone knows but I was wondering. how does sampling work?? Do they have to credit the sample? Or pay to use the sample??

·
Registered
7,267 Posts
I like how the original changes timing. The instrumental part is pretty epic but I hate the singing parts

·
Registered
7,267 Posts
I gotta admit though. I didn't like it at first, then I listened couple months later and I was like "WOW"

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
The Freshman said:
The best part of the original song is when it goes "21st Century Schizoid Man" LOLOLOL

BTW idk if anyone knows but I was wondering. how does sampling work?? Do they have to credit the sample? Or pay to use the sample??
Yes they give both credit and pay to use it. If you look in the album booklets they name the samples.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts