Kanye to The banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Banned
12,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to actually have some more discussion on why people replicas are right or wrong. I just had a thread where I said I was going to buy some fake visvims because of how expensive they are, and almost everyone, especially the user "anth", said not to. The main argument was that it's wrong to pay some replica shoe maker money for someone else's design. Initially, I wasn't really bothered by this idea, it still doesn't completely kill my chances getting a pair, but I did some more research on what people think about fakes
Of course I went on r/streetwear for this. There were 3 big discussions regarding this, but they all came down to the same thing: one side thinks that its okay to buy replicas if it's a highly sought out product that sells out quickly and the resell prices are ridiculous. As long as you dont flex and act like it's real, the you're good. The other side says that it's unfair because the original person that designed the piece isn't getting any money for it, while some guy in China is profiting from that design. If you really want it, you should either save up for it, find some good alternatives, or just move on and spend on clothing within your means.
I'm probably a little bias, but I feel like I'm thinking rationally by getting fakes of the visvims. I like the design. I can't find a good 'fast fashion' alternative to these. I wish I could buy a real pair, but I don't have the money for it. $600 isn't pocket change to me, and even if I saved up for them, it would just feel like a waste of money. Not because I wouldn't like the shoes, I just know that $600 could have so much more use than a pair of shoes.
At this point, you could just tell me to move on and spend on clothing within my means. But why is that fair? I'm a fan of visvim and a lot of other expensive fashion brands. I don't want to wear clothes just for the sake of them being on my back. I want them to look good. Why shouldn't I have access to better designs just because I don't have the money for it? I don't want to wear just mallcore shit just because of it's affordable (not that I have anything against that type of clothing, but it's typically very basic). This would actually be my first pair of fake shoes. It's not like this is an everyday thing for me. I appreciate Hiorki Nakamura and everything that he's doing, I just wish it was a little less expensive. It seems like poorer people are always getting fucked over in these types of situations. It parallels in other situations besides fashion.
So what do you guys think about this? Please don't respond "do you, whatever makes you happy, etc.". It's a genuine opinion, but a lot of people say it because they don't feel like arguing or they have no real argument. I want to see what you guys actually think about this. This isn't only about me, but a lot of people that buy fakes because they can't pay for the real thing feel the same way and dislike how people look down on them just because they don't have the money for expensive clothing

·
Banned
6,385 Posts
Ight so once again I understand not being in the position to buy an item that you want. Theres a shit ton of stuff that I WANT but I don't NEED them. I feel like if you truly want to have an item that you like it's worth it to save up some money and buy REAL ones. With replicas not only are you disrespecting YOURSELF by wearing a fake item but its also unfair to the designer of such brands. Your gonna be spending your money on a fake, subpar piece which is trying to pass itself off as real.

You can still dress well without that article of clothing, theres no need for you to have that piece this instant. With good spending habits you can buy your FBTs within two weeks at a minimum wage job. It might seem like a lot to blow on one piece buts that because IT IS. You are buying a shoe from a designer brand of course its expensive. Don't complain that you get fucked over because you don't have money, theres still plenty of stuff to buy below that price range.

I know you said you don't want to hear it, but honestly? Do whatever makes you happy, if you think that after you spend the money on a fake you can wear it and go out and be happy and confident go ahead man really, thats all that matters. I just believe that saving your money and buying the legit item will make you infinitely more happy.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Think, would you still desire the Visvim FBT or a replica of it if it was more accessable and lots of people had them? Part of the allure of "designer" or "high end" brands is the fact that not everyone can obtain said item.

·
Banned
12,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mxrsh said:
Think, would you still desire the Visvim FBT or a replica of it if it was more accessable and lots of people had them? Part of the allure of "designer" or "high end" brands is the fact that not everyone can obtain said item.
"accessible" and "lots of people have them" are different things. Lots of people have roshes, but i wouldnt want them even if they were limited because theyre ugly. Chelsea boots are accessible and i still want them. it wouldnt make any difference to me if i got a bottega veneta pair or a zara pair. Either way, exclusivity isnt something i really care about

·
Registered
25,829 Posts
This is what I think OP.

Buying fakes is a lot like buying a Ferrari kit for an old used Honda. Sure on the outside it looks like you have a Ferrari, and you'll probably fool the average person, but you know you don't have a Ferrari and people actually into that know your shit is bootleg too.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
natsrednu said:
"accessible" and "lots of people have them" are different things. Lots of people have roshes, but i wouldnt want them even if they were limited because theyre ugly. Chelsea boots are accessible and i still want them. it wouldnt make any difference to me if i got a bottega veneta pair or a zara pair. Either way, exclusivity isnt something i really care about
I didn't say they were the same thing. "And" is used to correlate two clauses that may or may not have relevance to each other. Either way, your post & mine both included hypotheticals that can't really be answered. My opinion, save $50-$100 a paycheck, buy a used pair off of Grailed for $400ish, and be happy. As long as you're not spending money you don't have, or spending money you can't spend, there's no problem with splurging on something to make you happy.

·
Registered
19,512 Posts
Buy them if you want to and fool the typical person but know that yourself and the real ones out there are going to be aware that you're wearing fakes and think slightly less of you because of it

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
roshes are ugly but visvims arent lmao?, i hate roshes as much as the next guy, but alls wrong with them is being basic and played out

·
Banned
12,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
etha nn said:
roshes are ugly but visvims arent lmao?, i hate roshes as much as the next guy, but alls wrong with them is being basic and played out
yeah theyre just basic now, but the very first version of roshes were undeniably ugly

i still dont really like them with the updates. but wait, are you calling visvims ugly? :dahell:

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
natsrednu said:
yeah theyre just basic now, but the very first version of roshes were undeniably ugly

i still dont really like them with the updates. but wait, are you calling visvims ugly? :dahell:
yeah i wouldn't be caught wearing those but they aint WOAT,

cmon, ask the general public which shoe they would wear,

or

·
Banned
2,154 Posts
etha nn said:
yeah i wouldn't be caught wearing those but they aint WOAT,

cmon, ask the general public which shoe they would wear,

or
General public wouldn't wear half the shit you see in here. You don't have to be the same as the general public you should be unique.

·
Registered
256 Posts
To me a big part of design is the originality in the small details which I can see and feel a connection with the designer. Brands like visvim are really built off of the quality and small details. I don't really agree with your thing of "I want it for the design" when the real brand has such a strong emphasis on the quality and craftsmanship. If you want to cop fakes yeezys that's fair bc they sell out quickly and cost an arm and a leg for resale. However, I don't think that applies to visvim shoes bc generally you can find them online for retail or below. Imo you should just save up and look for a price that you're reasonably comfortable with. If you really appreciate the design, you'll get much more out of the real deal.

·
Banned
2,154 Posts
if you ask me all replica discussion boils down to is classism.
People with alot of disposable income don't want you being able to get the same shit they have.
It's also unethical because you're supporting illegal business and usual bad work conditions (Even buying some authentic things have this problem).

But, at the end of the day it boils down to if you care about that and if you really give a fuck what people on the internet think of it because I guarantee you most people won't be able to tell when you're just walking by.

However, the problem with buying fake Visvim is that it kinda defeats the purpose of Visvim. Hiroki Nakamura and his team put alot of time into the design of their shoe, they're all hand made and stitched using very high quality materials. Visvims are a buy it for life kind of thing just because the garments age incredibly well. They will not fall apart on you ever. I highly encourage you to buy authentic Visvim because the messages behind Visvim and the cfreative process is so.....authentic. Watch this and it will really explain why you should buy authentic Visvim.

1 - 20 of 119 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.