Kanye to The banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stumbled upon this article while looking through various reviews of Late Registration. The article doesn't review the album per song but rather its significance as the mediator on connecting hiphop to its other audience, mostly the whites. Great read tbh.

Article here:
http://www.hiphoplinguistics.com/reviews/albums/2005/09/kanye-west-late-registration

article tl;dr
During the advent of Late Registration, mainstream America has adopted Kanye West as their poster boy, in hopes that their fears about hiphop do not apply to all rappers. Kanye West, the first ever rapper to be non-gangster perceived as Hiphop's Class Act, mainly because of hiphop's stigma - just a bunch of gangsters and thugs and drug dealers making music. America sees Kanye as operating far away from rap’s usual guidelines or framework. But in reality, he does not. Kanye demonstrates a portion of hip-hop’s universalism that has previously been ignored or misunderstood by the mainstream. The greatest part of Late Registration is Kanye's myriad topics, most of which relate to things not credited as part of hip-hop culture. Kanye demonstrates his contemplations with uncertainty (Heard ‘Em Say), ambition (Touch the Sky, Drive Slow), relationship troubles (Gold Digger), struggle (Bring Me Down, Diamonds from Sierra Leone), love (Roses, Hey Mama), success (We Major, Celebration), and addiction (Addiction), while simultaneously showing how these topics apply to the hip-hop culture despite their great distances from a gangster-type appeal.
tl;dr - Read it.

/in before this thread gets buried while troll threads get 100 pages

·
Registered
56,642 Posts
My complaints dealing with this mainstream acceptance of Kanye could have gone on and on . till something great happened. I guess it was only a couple days later when somebody at NBC dropped the ball and couldn’t cut Kanye off in time. Instead, the entire nation got to hear what he thought about our president, our administration, and our country’s problems with race and class discrimination. All of a sudden, I felt a huge swelling of pride. “Who’s you’re class act now, America?” Almost immediately after being hailed as “more GQ than gangsta,” Kanye ironically pointed out who the real gangsters are, to the whole world no less. I could just see the owners of Time Magazine kicking themselves. “I told you they were all trouble makers, Johnson!”

And thus, the importance of Kanye West. America sees Kanye as operating far away from rap’s usual guidelines or framework. But in reality, he does not.
:slick:

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
first page.

coming back for edit.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
1st page, almost all reserved spots. :cmon:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts