Kanye to The banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been contemplating on what I want to do with my life, my whole family is really business based and have high expectations of me, my dream is to become a movie director ya know, get payed for doing great films but the chances of that coming true are like 1 in a million. Right now im in the college of business saying I will major in Economics but Film is the only thing I see myself doing. Should I pursue or stick with the sure thing

I also plan on making my own film without going to film school and if it's good enough i should get some attention (hopefully) i already have 3 grand saved up for this film, and I also have a side project of a clothing brand with a friend

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
U R rite about it, my whole thing is I rather do it and fail then wonder my whole life "what if?"
I also saw an interview where Quentin Tarantino said something like, there's no competition when many of the independent movies are shit, if you have a stick of dynamite and throw it at the audience they will notice it" so I keep thinking ima try to be the best, but at the same time stay humble

That's also why I wanna get this brand started up worse case scenario I'll have some custom clothes

·
Registered
56,642 Posts
Would you rather live your life wasting your energy on something you don't feel, or pour your heart and soul into something you truly have a passion for?

·
Registered
5,600 Posts
sometimes, youve gotta remember who its really about here.
its about you.
not your parents, not you siblings, or friends, the end result is how you choose to live your life.
do what you love, man. never let them take your voice.
I design clothes and for years my parents wouldnt stop telling me to do something different.
I've always stayed true and i'm happier than they will ever be.

·
Registered
24 Posts
i'm in sort of a similar situation haha, except my parents don't put pressure on me to do what they want. I also want to go into film too haha, cause honestly at the end of the day you only live once, might as well do something that makes YOU happy

·
Registered
48,640 Posts
Okay, I know I'm the only one in here thats probably going to say this, but I think sometimes your dreams blind you from reality.
Yes, its great to aspire for something awesome in your life, but there also comes a time where reality has to kick in and you need to realize the safe route really is the best route.  It may be hard to realize, and I'll be the first to admit that I had a dream I so badly wanted, but a day came where I just realized I needed to let it fade and do what I know would work out for me.

Now, I don't want you to think I'm being harsh, and by all means, if you think that your dream is 100% possible and you really believe deep down in your heart that you can become a great movie director, then go do it. But, if there is any doubt, if you are only 99% sure, you need to face reality.  Becoming a successful movie director and making that memorable movie that you say you want to do is incredibly hard.  I really don't want to seem like a downer here, and I know life is short and you need to do things you enjoy, but life being short works both ways. You'd be wasting a lot of your time if things didn't pan out the way you thought they might.

You really need to just sit down and think to yourself what the right decision would be for yourself.  But dont let dreams blind you.

·
Banned
7,120 Posts
Like everyone else has said, follow your dreams. I too dream only of being a film director. I couldn't possibly even think of giving up on that dream and wondering what could have been. Anytime I even come close to it I quickly throw on Em's verse on Airplanes Pt. II and get inspired to keep going.

Imagine your life 10 years from now succeeding at filmmaking. Then imagine your life 10 years from now after giving up on that dream and just doing whatever. That should be inspiration enough, man.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts