Kanye to The banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've started collecting cd's

and need advise on nas's bast cd's, i already own illmatic but im unsure on the rest of hes albums

so which other Nas albums do you suggest

It was wriiten ?
I am.... ?
Nastradamus ?
Stillmatic ?
God's  Son ?
Street disciple ?
untited ?

·
Premium Member
232,799 Posts
Illmatic-10/10
Stillmatic-9/10
It Was Written-9/10
Lost Tapes-9/10
Distant Relatives-9/10
God's Son-8.5/10
Hip Hop Is Dead-8/10
Street's Disciple-8/10
Untitled-7.5/10
I Am...-6/10
Nastradamus-3/10

imo.

If you aren't short on money I'd buy all of them except I Am and Nastradamus.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
To go with the above format...

It Was Written-10/10
Illmatic-10/10
Stillmatic-9+/10
God's Son-9/10
Lost Tapes-8.5/10
Distant Relatives-8/10
I Am...8/10
Hip Hop Is Dead-7.5/10
Street's Disciple-7/10
Untitled-7/10
Nastradamus-6/10

Get It Was Written, Lost Tapes, Stillmatic and God's son, then go from there.

Basically any and all Nas albums are worth having.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
chillyred said:
yea i think ill buy

it was written
stillmatic
God's Son
Definitely good choices there, picking up a copy of Distant Relatives might not be a bad idea either. Probably my favorite album this year.

But, if you haven't heard the albums you might just wanna check them out on youtube before you make the purchase. All of Nas' albums are fairly similar excluding Distant Relatives.

·
Registered
34,090 Posts
The Man said:
Illmatic-10/10
Stillmatic-9/10
It Was Written-9/10
Lost Tapes-9/10
Distant Relatives-9/10
God's Son-8.5/10
Hip Hop Is Dead-8/10
Street's Disciple-8/10
Untitled-7.5/10
I Am...-6/10
Nastradamus-3/10

imo.

If you aren't short on money I'd buy all of them except I Am and Nastradamus.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Just know this, 90% of people sayin' you shouldn't listen to Nastradamus or giving it 3/10 scores - haven't listened to the album.

I'd say Nastradamus is a more important Nas album than It Was Written.
But I would just get every one of his. I Am is by far his weakest imo, that doesn't make it a BAD album tho - just not on par.  Lost Tapes, Nastradamus, HHID, God's Son, Untitled, Distant Relatives and Stillmatic (still, wouldn't make it in my top 5 of his albums) are all great albums.. Just get all his stuff imo, you shouldn't miss out on anything.

·
Premium Member
232,799 Posts
Janko said:
Just know this, 90% of people sayin' you shouldn't listen to Nastradamus or giving it 3/10 scores - haven't listened to the album.

I'd say Nastradamus is a more important Nas album than It Was Written.
But I would just get every one of his. I Am is by far his weakest imo, that doesn't make it a BAD album tho - just not on par.  Lost Tapes, Nastradamus, HHID, God's Son, Untitled, Distant Relatives and Stillmatic (still, wouldn't make it in my top 5 of his albums) are all great albums.. Just get all his stuff imo, you shouldn't miss out on anything.
I have listened to the album, it's terrible.

So you honestly think Nastradamus is better than It Was Written??

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
The Man said:
I have listened to the album, it's terrible.

So you honestly think Nastradamus is better than It Was Written??
Never said that. Said that Nastradamus is more important than It Was Written..
I've had this discussion with tons of people over the years, and people are very stubborn about it. I don't know if it's because there MUST be flaws on Nas, it always boils down to either I Am and Nastradamus or Nas' not having an ear for beats, but the same people allways rates Stillmatic at the top of his releases, an album which has the most predictable sound of them all.

Nastradamus is proberly his most personal album, maybe even more personal than God's Son. It's filled to the top with his thoughts and street poetry, it's more detailed than Illmatic, it's more exploring than It Was Written, it's more gritty than Stillmatic, it's as bold as Nigger.. I'm not saying this album is a classic, I'm not saying that. I'm just saying that it's ALOT better than 3 out of 10 and I don't think if you rate it that low, you have giving it a fair chance.

A song like "New World" belongs on his Nigger album lyrical wise, that's almost 10 years later in his career. His discription of a jail cell in "Last Words" is far more detailed than any of his verses on "One Love" for instance, "Life We Choose" is as self reflecting as "You're Da Man", "Some of Us Has Angels" is more hope filled than "Thugz Mansion" it's just in a darker and realer wrap. "Project Windows" is one of Nas best songs ever! It's just as heartfelt as his verse on "Music For Life" and his discriptive powers of the life in the ghetto is unmatched on this track, "Project Windows" is so spine chilling because of the reality behind it. "Come Get Me" is the hard hitting second version of "Nas Is Like", not on the same level (my point being - very few songs are on level with "Nas Is Like") but just as hard never the less.

Sure it has misses, I'm not trying to cover up "You Owe Me", I'm just saying that you should atleast give yourself the opportunity to like Nastradamus. On Illmatic Nas was a teenager rapping or his life, on Nastradamus he's a poet beyond his years. But that's me, alot don't agree with that, I just can't understand it and can't help but think it's a matter of how you let other factors decide wether or not it's a good album.

·
Premium Member
37,799 Posts
Get it was written, I am, stillmatic, gods son, lost tapes and distant relatives. Those are his top tier, along with illmatic. His second tier is streets disciple and untitled. Bottom tier is nastradamus and hip hip is dead. Don't forget, lost tapes vol. 2 on December 14

·
Premium Member
232,799 Posts
Janko said:
Never said that. Said that Nastradamus is more important than It Was Written..
I've had this discussion with tons of people over the years, and people are very stubborn about it. I don't know if it's because there MUST be flaws on Nas, it always boils down to either I Am and Nastradamus or Nas' not having an ear for beats, but the same people allways rates Stillmatic at the top of his releases, an album which has the most predictable sound of them all.

Nastradamus is proberly his most personal album, maybe even more personal than God's Son. It's filled to the top with his thoughts and street poetry, it's more detailed than Illmatic, it's more exploring than It Was Written, it's more gritty than Stillmatic, it's as bold as Nigger.. I'm not saying this album is a classic, I'm not saying that. I'm just saying that it's ALOT better than 3 out of 10 and I don't think if you rate it that low, you have giving it a fair chance.

A song like "New World" belongs on his Nigger album lyrical wise, that's almost 10 years later in his career. His discription of a jail cell in "Last Words" is far more detailed than any of his verses on "One Love" for instance, "Life We Choose" is as self reflecting as "You're Da Man", "Some of Us Has Angels" is more hope filled than "Thugz Mansion" it's just in a darker and realer wrap. "Project Windows" is one of Nas best songs ever! It's just as heartfelt as his verse on "Music For Life" and his discriptive powers of the life in the ghetto is unmatched on this track, "Project Windows" is so spine chilling because of the reality behind it. "Come Get Me" is the hard hitting second version of "Nas Is Like", not on the same level (my point being - very few songs are on level with "Nas Is Like") but just as hard never the less.

Sure it has misses, I'm not trying to cover up "You Owe Me", I'm just saying that you should atleast give yourself the opportunity to like Nastradamus. On Illmatic Nas was a teenager rapping or his life, on Nastradamus he's a poet beyond his years. But that's me, alot don't agree with that, I just can't understand it and can't help but think it's a matter of how you let other factors decide wether or not it's a good album.
Okay, fair enough. I just didn't like the music on it and that's the most important part of the album, it didn't grab me like his other albums.  I enjoyed Life We Chose, Project Windows, Come Get Me, New World and Family but I couldn't get into the rest of the album. Maybe 3/10 is a little low but I was very disappointed listening to it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts