Kanye to The banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
51,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah, I'm jumping on the top game list trend :work: And I'm talking strictly home console games.

20. WWE All Stars
THQ, how do you release a great wrestling game like this, then go back to the same tripe you release every year with WWE '12? This is exactly the direction wrestling games need to take. Brilliantly over the top.

19. Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing
Best kart racer since Crash Team Racing. I don't even like Sonic/SEGA, but this is a seriously fun game that probably didn't get the attention it deserved. Don't write this off as another shitty SEGA game aimed at kids.

18. LittleBigPlanet
While the platforming was never great, the charm and style of the game, along with the ridiculous amount of levels thanks to the deep level creator, easily made up for it. Great game, that's an even better experience with co-op.

17. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
Probably the most important game of the generation. It was the only game any of my friends were playing for about two years. While the series is still breaking records every year, they've yet to come close to making another Call of Duty game on the same level as Modern Warfare.

16. InFamous
I don't think I could have named a single GTA-style open world game I liked before InFamous. It did what all those games before it failed to do; make it fun to play. Very few games have done character movement better; traversing the city was such a thrill in itself. And causing chaos with the electricity powers at your disposal made the combat a ton of fun.

15. Catherine
Catherine is definitely flawed, but it does so many things right; the voice acting, the game's style, the set of characters, the music, the bizarre story - all great. I even warmed up to the box climbing puzzles by the end of it. There's nothing quite like Catherine out there. It's not Atlus' best work, but certainly an interesting game to hold us over until Persona 5.

14. Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter
My favourite modern day shooter. Hell of a single player campaign. The combat, the locations, the pacing; it nails it all. And controlling your squad couldn't be simpler, but still incredibly satisfying.

13. Journey
Beautiful really is the one word to describe Journey. An experience like no other in video games. It may only be an hour and a half long, but really that's the perfect length; Journey does everything it needs to in that time, and not an ounce of filler. A game best played in one sitting.

12. Fable II
A wonderful game with a lot of character. Some of the most pure fun I've had with any game this generation. Peter Molyneux delivered as far as I'm concerned.

11. Enslaved: Odyssey to the West
The closest thing to Uncharted, and it actually eclipses it in a few ways; the characters most importantly. Trip and Monkey may be my favourite duo from any game, and Pigsy is brilliant in his own right. The way they delicately build the relationships has rarely been done so well in games before. The combat and climbing are fun, but it's the characters that really shine through. And a pretty good story on top of that. It's a shame it sold so poorly. Pigsy's Perfect 10 is some of the best DLC I've come across as well.​

10. Mass Effect
Coming from the developers of one of my favourite RPGs, KotOR, I was hyped about Mass Effect from the day it was announced. Gameplay-wise it may have been lacking, but everything else was spot on. BioWare had created a brilliant sci-fi universe, a mixture of Star Trek and Star Wars, one of the best stories of the generation, and choices that really felt like they made an impact.

9. SSX
It's been a long wait for the SSX reboot, and while it's not quite the same game as the likes of Tricky and 3, it's just as good. 159 drops and I've done them all. Such a great sensation when you get that perfect run/time/score that you've been slaving away at. Great addition to the series and the future of SSX is looking good.

8. Borderlands
Few things in video games top the thrill of opening up a weapons box to find a new unique randomly generated weapon sitting there waiting to be used to wreck havoc. Not to mention the vending machines. Loot is done brilliantly in Borderlands. It plays great as well; the shooting is incredibly satisfying, and the RPG aspects only add to the carnage. I just wish more people I knew played the game for co-op purposes, but I still had a hell of a time with randomers. So close to being the perfect co-op FPS. The DLC was also superb.​

7. Uncharted 3
I'll start off by saying, it's not as good as Uncharted 2. Single player wise anyway. But its big epic moments were on par, if not better, than anything from the second game. It's the multiplayer where I really fell in love with Uncharted 3 though. Forget your Call of Duty's or your Battlefield's, for me this is the best multiplayer shooter of the generation.

6. Dragon Age: Origins
A brilliant throw back RPG to an era of role playing games that has been lost for a couple of generations. I spent over 100 hours with my Elvish archer, Eruestan, and I can't remember enjoying a class as much as in Origins. Loved the dreary dark atmosphere in the medieval, high fantasy setting. Everything you'd expect from a top BioWare game was here. And the expansion Awakening was almost as good. I pray one day Origins gets a true sequel.

5. Gears of War
The first game to blow me away of the generation. What a way to show off the 360's capabilities. So many great memories with Gears. I played through the campaign with my best friend at the time, and it was brilliant. The tight corridors, the heavy atmosphere, the intensity to the fights; Gears never did them quite as well as it did in the first game. And the multiplayer was hella fun too. Nothing could top the Gridlock map.

4. Saints Row: The Third
I don't do GTA-style games. They bore me to death. So when another Saints Row game came along I didn't think for a second I'd even bother playing it. Word of mouth spread and I finally decided to check it out. Good thing I did. The game is downright outrageous, in all the right ways. It completely embraces the art form. It sticks a middle finger up to all those games trying to go for gritty realism. Saints Row the Third is purely about fun, and it's executed in the most creative way. The game is hilarious, the use of music is better than in any other game I've played, and it has so many ridiculous, memorable moments, it puts everything the GTA series has ever tried to do to shame.​

·
Premium Member
51,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Moseley said:
not bad so far..but enslaved having better characters than uncharted? i call shenanigans
On face value Uncharted may have a better cast, but they don't really do anything with them. Rarely are their interactions meaningful. It's one of my complaints against the series; they play it far too safe. They may have had the odd scene here and there, but Enslaved was constantly building the relationship between Trip and Monkey, and then the addition of Pigsy added a whole new dimension.

·
Premium Member
51,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Darksiders has been cut, for:

15. Catherine
Catherine is definitely flawed, but it does so many things right; the voice acting, the game's style, the set of characters, the music, the bizarre story - all great. I even warmed up to the box climbing puzzles by the end of it. There's nothing quite like Catherine out there. It's not Atlus' best work, but certainly an interesting game to hold us over until Persona 5.​

Will do the top 10 in a few hours.

·
Premium Member
135,482 Posts
samcotts said:
On face value Uncharted may have a better cast, but they don't really do anything with them. Rarely are their interactions meaningful. It's one of my complaints against the series; they play it far too safe. They may have had the odd scene here and there, but Enslaved was constantly building the relationship between Trip and Monkey, and then the addition of Pigsy added a whole new dimension.
i disagree i think along with deadly premonition, uncharted has the best character developement in any game of all time (specially with sully and drake). its the main appeal in uncharted tbh. i played enslaved and found the characters to be souless

·
Premium Member
51,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Moseley said:
i disagree i think along with deadly premonition, uncharted has the best character developement in any game of all time (specially with sully and drake). its the main appeal in uncharted tbh. i played enslaved and found the characters to be souless
In what way do they develop?

The only example I can think of is the Drake/Elena relationship, and even then there's like only a few scenes.

·
Premium Member
135,482 Posts
samcotts said:
In what way do they develop?

The only example I can think of is the Drake/Elena relationship, and even then there's like only a few scenes.
drake and sully relationship is perfect. the way they talk to each other about things they have done in the past while you are playing. 3 filled in all the gaps as to why they are such good friends...its so hard to dislike them

all other characters in uncharted are just filler

·
Premium Member
51,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Aside from the top 3, the rest of the list of games are all ridiculously close.

10. Mass Effect
Coming from the developers of one of my favourite RPGs, KotOR, I was hyped about Mass Effect from the day it was announced. Gameplay-wise it may have been lacking, but everything else was spot on. BioWare had created a brilliant sci-fi universe, a mixture of Star Trek and Star Wars, one of the best stories of the generation, and choices that really felt like they made an impact.

9. SSX
It's been a long wait for the SSX reboot, and while it's not quite the same game as the likes of Tricky and 3, it's just as good. 159 drops and I've done them all. Such a great sensation when you get that perfect run/time/score that you've been slaving away at. Great addition to the series and the future of SSX is looking good.

8. Borderlands
Few things in video games top the thrill of opening up a weapons box to find a new unique randomly generated weapon sitting there waiting to be used to wreck havoc. Not to mention the vending machines. Loot is done brilliantly in Borderlands. It plays great as well; the shooting is incredibly satisfying, and the RPG aspects only add to the carnage. I just wish more people I knew played the game for co-op purposes, but I still had a hell of a time with randomers. So close to being the perfect co-op FPS. The DLC was also superb.​

·
Premium Member
51,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

7. Uncharted 3
I'll start off by saying, it's not as good as Uncharted 2. Single player wise anyway. But its big epic moments were on par, if not better, than anything from the second game. It's the multiplayer where I really fell in love with Uncharted 3 though. Forget your Call of Duty's or your Battlefield's, for me this is the best multiplayer shooter of the generation.

6. Dragon Age: Origins
A brilliant throw back RPG to an era of role playing games that has been lost for a couple of generations. I spent over 100 hours with my Elvish archer, Eruestan, and I can't remember enjoying a class as much as in Origins. Loved the dreary dark atmosphere in the medieval, high fantasy setting. Everything you'd expect from a top BioWare game was here. And the expansion Awakening was almost as good. I pray one day Origins gets a true sequel.

5. Gears of War
The first game to blow me away of the generation. What a way to show off the 360's capabilities. So many great memories with Gears. I played through the campaign with my best friend at the time, and it was brilliant. The tight corridors, the heavy atmosphere, the intensity to the fights; Gears never did them quite as well as it did in the first game. And the multiplayer was hella fun too. Nothing could top the Gridlock map.

4. Saints Row: The Third
I don't do GTA-style games. They bore me to death. So when another Saints Row game came along I didn't think for a second I'd even bother playing it. Word of mouth spread and I finally decided to check it out. Good thing I did. The game is downright outrageous, in all the right ways. It completely embraces the art form. It sticks a middle finger up to all those games trying to go for gritty realism. Saints Row the Third is purely about fun, and it's executed in the most creative way. The game is hilarious, the use of music is better than in any other game I've played, and it has so many ridiculous, memorable moments, it puts everything the GTA series has ever tried to do to shame.​

·
Premium Member
135,482 Posts
samcotts said:
No one even cares that much about 90% of the shit posted on forums.

It would have all been posted the day I made the thread if I wasn't so lazy tbh.
tbh

writing out 25 reasons a game is good takes fucking ages...its easier to just do like 5 at a time

1 - 19 of 19 Posts