Kanye to The banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just started to take up running middle distance, (I see myself as a sprinter though) went once and loved it, its at the local athletics club, and im running on a proper track. I want to continue it, my best friend who used to run alot in the past is bugging me to get some runing spikes, but I'm not too sure what the benefit of them would be to me? I play football/soccer and I just go along in my astro turfs, would running spikes really benefit me? I'm an amateur with the running thing, is it too early to get spikes? Help!

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
I'm a little confused as you mentioned soccer also. But I take it you're more of a 400m runner than a 800m runner. Unless you're already scores better than the competition, you will need spikes. If you need traction for football/soccer, obviously, get some cleats. Metal spikes tend to tear up both balls and people.

:oblivious:

They're strictly for competition. If you have it in your training plan, you might pull them out on your "race-running workout" days but otherwise, it's just an investment in better game day results. They lack the support that one needs to sustain the jarring leg movement of a full training session. Ignoring that would put you in a state of great vulnerability to injury.

Hope I didn't completely misinterpret the question.

·
Registered
49,174 Posts
As stated earlier, you do not want to wear racing spikes unless you are actually racing. Training in them will completely ruin your legs.

However, if you're really looking into buying some, a decent middle distance pair I would recommend are the NIke Zoom Rival D. If you are willing to spend a little more money, then I would definitely recommend the Nike Zoom Victory.

http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/#l=shop,pdp,ctr-inline/cid-1/pid-338522/pgid-338520
http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/?l=shop,pdp,ctr-inline/cid-1/pid-361602/pgid-193569

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
friendofthepeople said:
I'm a little confused as you mentioned soccer also. But I take it you're more of a 400m runner than a 800m runner. Unless you're already scores better than the competition, you will need spikes. If you need traction for football/soccer, obviously, get some cleats. Metal spikes tend to tear up both balls and people.
lol my bad, i meant that i play soccer, i wear astro turfs to play soccer with as i play on astro turf and indoors, but what i was saying is that, at the moment im using those astro turfs to do my track running in, its training so far, doing 200m, 400m, 500m 600, 800, (middle distance)

im trying to figure out what the ideal distance is for me, i see myself as a sprinter. but like i say, its training, and i literally began going last week.

but both of you answered my question, its not worth investing in some running spikes unless im actually racing as it can cause injury. ill just plod along with my astro turfs for the time being!

but out of curiosity, how can the spikes ruin your legs? wouldnt it be good to train with them, break them in and get used to them?

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
tAZ said:
but out of curiosity, how can the spikes ruin your legs? wouldnt it be good to train with them, break them in and get used to them?
Well, I can admit I tend to regurgitate what my coaches tell me but of the little support I did do, I know that to maximize mobility/lightness, they go as lightly as possible on including arch support. However, this lack of support on your heels encourages good form/ running on the ball of your foot. Though, with little over no heel support, your Achilles tendon is just absorbing the full blast of contact everytime you propel yourself forward. That same heel support issue can work its way all the way up to your knee joints which also end up absorbing far more of the blow than they normally would.

If that doesn't make sense, imagine yourself having to adjust to running barefoot. This simulates that and it's just not something we as humans have done for hundreds of years. Thus not something or bodies have adapted to.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts