Kanye to The banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My interpretation, a lot of people seem confused:

Kanye (his character's name is apparently Griffin) is going out for a drive when Selita (aka Phoenix) crashes into his car.  Griffin takes her to his house and attempts to teach her about life - showing her the animals, music, his life and how to act at dinner.  Then they go to dinner, while the guests are being assholes about Phoenix - thinking she's ridiculous, calling her a bird, laughing at her.  Griffin performs Runaway as a "toast to the douchebags" at the table.  Phoenix is offended when they serve a bird for dinner and they leave.

Phoenix is sad and Griffin feels bad.  Then they go out and talk about the statues and the Phoenix tells him that statues are Phoenixes turned to stone.  She tells Griffin she wants to go back to her home.  Then they kiss and go back to Griffin's house and have sex (I'm assuming thats what that weird red scene is).

Griffin wakes up and notices she's gone.  He runs over to where she crashed as she flies through the air, presumably going back to her home.

Now what it means, I'm not completely sure, but there's a lot of ideas and symbols.  The Phoenix is obviously a symbol of rebirth and change.  The whole statue thing means that people don't like change, and don't like things that are different.  As far as the giant MJ head with the fireworks, that's just Griffin showing Phoenix his world and MJ is an immensely important part of it.

Anyone care to contribute anything to my post?  Any other insights about the plot, or any symbols, themes, ideas, etc?

·
Registered
1 Posts
it was weird but cmon what do we expect kanye a weird dude lol but shit was leegeeenndaryyy lol im trying to find somewhere that can explain all the symbolisms in movie though there are a lot your post def got the explanation started lol thanks

·
Registered
56,642 Posts
I thought it was beautiful.  Couldn't help but be genuinely moved by it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts