Kanye to The banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...to an extent. Hear me out. I will try to keep this short.

A brilliant article came out about a week ago breaking down Runaway, and basically explained (this is the extreme nutshell version) that it was Kanye's way of saying I am a perfectionist, I am going to come off as an asshole for "finding the things that I don't like the most." so you should runaway from me, because I am unpleasant to deal with. But after the VMA performance people, including myself, were saying "Haha don't you haters see? Kanye is making fun of himself with the chorus!"...looking back, I'm not so sure about that. I think he is pointing out that he is a douchebag, but it is because he is so brilliant..."Let's have a toast for the jerk offs, who will never take work off." - thati doesn't seem completly sarcastic. I think it could go both ways, but I think part of the song is saying we should literally praise the douchebags because some of those same people happen to be masterminds. Ye isn't insulting himself, he is being cocky in a way people want to hear.

One the people should understand - Kanye West will probably never be humble 100% of the time, will never not show at least some arrogance. The change will hopefully be him not hurting others, and him being nicer. He is more empathetic...but if you want the ego to go away, forget about it.

Maybe this is all really obvious, but it was a discovery for me when I thought about the song more. Runaway isn't self-loathing...maybe that's one way of looking at it, but I think it is easily self-praising as well.

·
Registered
7,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jon2324 said:
Dude...too much writing to analyze the song lol! But I agree with you! It's a great song......it's very underrated tbh
I agree on the last part, the lyrics may seem dumb but they are wrought with meaning, which is why I think this song is worth analyzing because, trying to put all bias aside, I think it is brilliant.

I would almost go as far as saying he tricked people into thinking he was calling himself a douchebag...he did, but did they realize he was also calling himself brilliant? And that he is so gifted at finding what he doesn't like the most? Like Taylor's shitty video winning? LOL

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Timesitheus said:
why are you bumping..do you want that people see this and say..

"MAAN THIS  GUY"

"is very special"

"like a philosoph shit"

"?"

when do you IMAGINE all this threads..

everytime when you take a shit?

·
Registered
7,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, I am bumping it to get other input. Maybe it will die, and if it does I won't bump it again, but last time I bumped a thread I wanted more responses for it ended up generating a decent conversation.

And I came to this conclusion about Runaway yesterday in the car.

·
Banned
2,298 Posts
Timesitheus said:
I agree on the last part, the lyrics may seem dumb but they are wrought with meaning, which is why I think this song is worth analyzing because, trying to put all bias aside, I think it is brilliant.
I think he meant your post was too long to analyze.  :dno:

·
Banned
2,298 Posts
I don't know if Runaway was about him as much as it was the media's perception of him.  Especially the line, "Never was much of a romantic".  He LOVED his Mom as well as had a girlfriend for like 5 years... AND when those two things were out of his life, he released the incredible project that is 808's & Heartbreak!

So I don't think it was literally about himself.

·
Registered
7,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
PrinceJane said:
I don't know if Runaway was about him as much as it was the media's perception of him.  Especially the line, "Never was much of a romantic".  He LOVED his Mom as well as had a girlfriend for like 5 years... AND when those two things were out of his life, he released the incredible project that is 808's & Heartbreak!

So I don't think it was literally about himself.
D: :psyboom: :salute: :yay:

BRILLIANT

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Timesitheus said:
...to an extent. Hear me out. I will try to keep this short.

A brilliant article came out about a week ago breaking down Runaway, and basically explained (this is the extreme nutshell version) that it was Kanye's way of saying I am a perfectionist, I am going to come off as an asshole for "finding the things that I don't like the most." so you should runaway from me, because I am unpleasant to deal with. But after the VMA performance people, including myself, were saying "Haha don't you haters see? Kanye is making fun of himself with the chorus!"...looking back, I'm not so sure about that. I think he is pointing out that he is a douchebag, but it is because he is so brilliant..."Let's have a toast for the jerk offs, who will never take work off." - thati doesn't seem completly sarcastic. I think it could go both ways, but I think part of the song is saying we should literally praise the douchebags because some of those same people happen to be masterminds. Ye isn't insulting himself, he is being cocky in a way people want to hear.

One the people should understand - Kanye West will probably never be humble 100% of the time, will never not show at least some arrogance. The change will hopefully be him not hurting others, and him being nicer. He is more empathetic...but if you want the ego to go away, forget about it.

Maybe this is all really obvious, but it was a discovery for me when I thought about the song more. Runaway isn't self-loathing...maybe that's one way of looking at it, but I think it is easily self-praising as well.
Hey man, I think that's a GREAT interpretation of the song.  We all know Kanye never takes work off.  Good job, bro.

·
Premium Member
53,595 Posts
No matter what anyone says, it's an average song. And frankly, I hope this is the only blemish on the album. Power is borderline.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Shy said:
No matter what anyone says, it's an average song. And frankly, I hope this is the only blemish on the album. Power is borderline.
No matter what you say, that's your opinion.  It is my humble opinion that if they wrote a modern version of the Bible, that Kanye West would be included in it.

It is also my humble opinion that Drake sucks.  But let's not stray too off topic.....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts