Kanye to The banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.ddotomen.com/2010/10/22/ddotomen-com-x-kanye-west-runaway-screening-review-nyc/

WARNING MINIMAL SPOILERS IN IT TOWARDS THE END.

I had the opportunity to attend Kanye West's screening of his Runaway film in New York City (shouts to Kaz). In route to the theatre, I didn't really know what to expect except maybe not being able to get in and complete chaos. Fortunately I was only met with the latter, which wasn't chaotic in a bad way but more of an exciting way. The scene was decorated with a plethora of bloggers, label execs, artists, and the like. Complimentary beverages and popcorn were served and devoured well before people could make it to their seats. Not because they were hungry or the refreshments were delicious but um….WE HAD TO WAIT…DAMN NEAR AN HOUR AND A HALF just to see a 35 MINUTE FILM! Which is no direct fault of Kanye's at all, so disregard this if you're a critic/Kanye Hater. After an hour plus of disgruntled people jeering and heckling the squeamish "security" or movie theatre employees, we were finally guided from our original location down to the V.I.P. screening area.

Finally the time comes to enter the screening room, and as you enter to your left is a feverish and anxious yet tranquil Kanye West greeting the guests as they entered. Me being one of the guest, I took the golden opportunity to ask Mr. West if he'd sign the Runaway poster board I daringly grabbed in my agonizing wait to see his film, to which he obliged. I honestly must say, I was much more in awe of the man himself than the movie. On a personal note, I made my request at the risk of Kanye completely dissing my existence or flipping out for taking his promo board as we've seen him react to certain situations in the past. However, I must attest that the man who graciously gave me an autograph was very much like the role of the Phoenix in his short film, portrayed by Selita Banks. A rejuvenated Kanye stood before us and spoke calmly yet passionate about the direction he took in making this film, which clearly was reflecting in his approach of curating until the feature presentation began.

Last but not least, the details..ah yes. There was definitely several songs in which haven't been leaked (yet) or heard, at least not by me (surprisingly). All Of The Lights was played for the duration of the Michael Jackson tribute, it wasn't the leaked version either, it contained an added chorus. Hell Of A Life cued up during a scene with the Phoenix. The last verse Kanye recited in the BET GOOD Music Cypher also had a song which was incredibly dope. Blame Game was also in the mix of the songs played. I also noticed and this may have just been me but there's a scene where The Phoenix engages Kanye sexually, sitting on top of him, in a riding position., which I think probably inspired the controversial album cover.

Overall, the production and screen play was without question impressive. I may have to go out on a limb and say the movie and execution of it could very well land Kanye iconic status in the same breathe as Michael Jackson. The detail of colors, specific moments where emotions and tone were conveyed without overdoing it. A folly of most music artists getting their acting debuts is trying extremely hard to be an "actor" and not APART of the moment in the actual movie. The choreography was definitely eye catching as you'll notice most of the ballet dancers were shapely. Actually, they might not have even been curvaceous at all, but the way they were captured certainly was another aspect to be noted. All in all, you can count on this being apart of my DVD collection.

Oh and I almost forgot, Shout out to the rude and abrasive security woman who did everything in her power(less) to see to it that I didn't make it out the theatre with the autographed poster board in my hand. I guess ya'll can tell who won that struggle? I'm guessing she didn't get a chance to see the film or fell asleep during the part where The Phoenix says the reason she dislikes our world is because "we don't accept things or try to change, what is different, instead of trying to understand it".

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Nice I don't remember seeing anywhere that Hell of a Life is in it... also I think "The last verse Kanye recited in the BET GOOD Music Cypher also had a song which was incredibly dope." is Dark Fantasy.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Chamelio S. said:
Nice I don't remember seeing anywhere that Hell of a Life is in it... also I think "The last verse Kanye recited in the BET GOOD Music Cypher also had a song which was incredibly dope." is Dark Fantasy.
yeap its rumored to be, and everyone seems to say that beat is epic and one of YE's best songs this year. Epic RZA production + the sick verse from the BET cypher =  :jo:

·
Registered
35,690 Posts
Im not gonna be able to make it til tomorrow!!!

·
Registered
591 Posts
Liquid said:
pls give me facts ..my english..my head.

I CANT READ ALL THAT SHIT

pls give me 3,4 important facts from this article..
All of the Lights has an added chorus.
The verse Kanye did on the BET Cypher came from a "dope" song that's in the film.
The film's production and presentation may make Kanye reach Michael Jackson level of work and art in music.
There are some songs that people haven't heard yet. Perhaps "Keep Calling", "Blame Game" & "Dark Fantasy".

Yeah, the film's pretty much must-see.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
ROHF4L said:
All of the Lights has an added chorus.
The verse Kanye did on the BET Cypher came from a "dope" song that's in the film.
The film's production and presentation may make Kanye reach Michael Jackson level of work and art in music.
There are some songs that people haven't heard yet. Perhaps "Keep Calling", "Blame Game" & "Dark Fantasy".

Yeah, the film's pretty much must-see.
thanks

·
Premium Member
6,564 Posts
Right so the songs in the film are...

Dark Fantasy, Monster, All Of The Lights, Runaway, Hell Of A Life, Blame Game, Christian Dior Denim Flow, Devil In A New Dress and Lost In The World.

·
Banned
2,483 Posts
Jack25 said:
Right so the songs in the film are...

Dark Fantasy, Monster, All Of The Lights, Runaway, Hell Of A Life, Blame Game, Christian Dior Denim Flow, Devil In A New Dress and Lost In The World.
Not sure about about CDDF, and its either Monster OR Devil In a New Dress

1 - 20 of 30 Posts