Kanye to The banner
1 - 20 of 183 Posts

·
Registered
35,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pure innovation. It tugs at the listener's heart strings more than anything else in his brilliant catalog. I can not express how much I appreciate this song, and Kanye West for being able to make such an essential,  fresh sounding song five albums into his career, one that reminds me why I fell in love with his music.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Runaway Stronger said:
Pure innovation. It tugs at the listener's heart strings more than anything else in his brilliant catalog.
respectfully disagree. though meaninful, i find issues with the lyrics. he's being overindulgent on the song, thinking the beat is THAT good where it deserves that little rapping on it. speak more! surely that can't be the peak of your thought process when you were creating this song? that's it?

this is how i felt the first dozen or so times i heard the song. i've since decided to ignore it until i hear it in the context of the album for the first time. as far as singles go, i'd go as far as to say that this is by far my least favorite single he has ever put out. it feels like such an incomplete idea. i do love the beat though. could care less for pusha being on there if he's gonna rap more words then kanye drops in the entire song.

anybody else feel like this? i'm really hoping that when i listen to MBDTF (which by the way, i also damn near despise the title. hoping it all makes more sense once i have the album in my hands) it will fit in perfectly with the songs that surround it and leave me with one of those "excuse me while i pick my jaw up off the floor" moments.

·
Registered
35,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, people wouldn't dare mention Love Lockdown as one of Kanye's greatest songs when they first heard it, now it's in everyone's top five. It will be the same story with Runaway, this song will stick, and be recognized as a classic as the years go by, I have no doubt in my mind.

My top five goes like this...
1. Runaway
2. Stronger
3. Love Lockdown
4. Diamonds From Sierra Leone
5. Jesus Walks

·
Registered
11,770 Posts
Right now it is...but MBDTF hasn't released yet so i'm not judging the best track until Nov 18-19th when it prolly leaks...cause leaks happens but i'm supporting no matter what happens...respect! I'd say DF is my prediction which is very bold....LOL

·
Registered
35,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
West said:
respectfully disagree. though meaninful, i find issues with the lyrics. he's being overindulgent on the song, thinking the beat is THAT good where it deserves that little rapping on it. speak more! surely that can't be the peak of your thought process when you were creating this song? that's it?

this is how i felt the first dozen or so times i heard the song. i've since decided to ignore it until i hear it in the context of the album for the first time. as far as singles go, i'd go as far as to say that this is by far my least favorite single he has ever put out. it feels like such an incomplete idea. i do love the beat though. could care less for pusha being on there if he's gonna rap more words then kanye drops in the entire song.

anybody else feel like this? i'm really hoping that when i listen to MBDTF (which by the way, i also damn near despise the title. hoping it all makes more sense once i have the album in my hands) it will fit in perfectly with the songs that surround it and leave me with one of those "excuse me while i pick my jaw up off the floor" moments.
mrcornelius said:
He damn near wasted a classic beat, and that's all Ima say about it. I like the song, but there was just so much more that could have been done here.
My advice is to stop over analyzing every small detail and process the song as a whole, faults and all, and recognize that every song has it's own faults. You can make these same arguments about any strong piece of art, no matter what is produced, everyone can say what should be different to make a good song to be a "perfect song" by having the precise lyrics to connects to with whatever they feel, so they feel the need to demand to hear what they believe is what needs to be said, and it will differ for every person. This is why I try to measure quality of art, and people by knowing ahead of time that there will be faults, and everyone can see something that I believe is gold in another way and argue that it's trash, and vice versa. That being said, I respect your opinions as well, but they differ from mine, and I have analyzed the song (Runaway) throughly and cannot see why anyone has a problem with how raw Kanye's vocals are on it, or the any of the lyrics, which to me, do exactly what is needed to get the point of the song across. So to me, and not to a lot of others, there are no gripes with anything on this studio version of the song. It sounds exactly how I think it should. There's nothing wrong with debates about the quality of something, but in all circumstances don't be so quick to dismiss a positive take on anything.

·
Registered
483 Posts
mrcornelius said:
He damn near wasted a classic beat, and that's all Ima say about it. I like the song, but there was just so much more that could have been done here.
This. When I heard the beat play at the beginning of the Runaway movie trailer, I was like oh fuck yes. Then he performed it and pulled that awful MPC shit and... well. All I'm gonna say is that I'm waiting for the album before I make any more judgments. Power was one of those Stronger-type songs for me. Beat and lyrics were absolutely huge. When he does the "So exciting... suicide..." part, the beat in the background makes me brain do all sorts of flips and cartwheels. Same thing happens after he asks if we have the power to let power go. That outro is what Kanye excels at, and is a justified time for him to let the beat ride out. I was honestly picturing a music video where that last scene showed him as some mad scientist in a lab, and as those sampled guitar licks play the song off into oblivion, the camera pans and swirls around kanye as he laughs hysterically, swirling lights everywhere... man...

but yeah. runaway is alright lol

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Runaway Stronger said:
Let me guess, both of you guys think We Major is a top notch Kanye song?
this post doesn't concern me, but I happen to think We major is his best produced song, and I think Say you will is the greatest song he's made, but what are your opinions on We major, because i'm detecting a bit of negativity lol

1 - 20 of 183 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.