Kanye to The banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By Simon Vozick-Levinson
July 21, 2011

Jay-Z and Kanye West prove again that they're one of rap's all-time great tag teams - up there with Run-DMC, OutKast and EPMD - on this teaser from Watch the Throne (due August 1st). West twists a few seconds of Otis Redding's "Try a Little Tenderness" into a Blueprint-style barrage, setting the stage for some slick collar-popping from Jay-Z ("Photo shoot fresh, looking like wealth / I'm about to call the paparazzi on myself"). Jay's performance, in turn, inspires Ye to step up his wordplay ("Luxury rap, the Hermes of verses / Sophisticated ignorance, write my curses in cursive"); the younger star sounds like he pulled an all-nighter trying to outdo his mentor's rhymes. They keep trading punchlines for three minutes, opting not to interrupt the fun with anything resembling a chorus. When the verses are packed with this much wit and style, who needs one?

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/songreviews/otis-20110721

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
From the pitchfork review:

"Of course, when Jay and Kanye get enough room to drop offhand comments and conversational punchlines, that's when they actually say revealing things. So here's Jay's entire persona in one line: "Photo shoot fresh, lookin' like wealth; I'm 'bout to call the paparazzi on myself." And here's Kanye's: "Sophisticated ignorance, write my curses in cursive."

"Jay and Kanye trade off verses and never pause for a chorus, each one building on whatever the last guy said-- an old-school rap-collab style you almost never hear anymore. "

Which came first? The chicken or the egg?

:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts