Kanye to The banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They gave it 2.5 stars out of 5  :sarc2:

As Drake and Kanye West have demonstrated, there's room in hip-hop for melancholic MCs who upend the self-congratulation that dominates the genre. The problem with Kid Cudi is that, since his hypnotic breakout single, "Day 'N' Nite," he's grown rote in his self-pity and flat as a singer: "These worries are heavy, they rest on my shoulders," he repeats in his hypomelodic baritone on "These Worries." "The darkness, yeah, I'd like to marry it," goes a line from "Maniac." His second album features dramatic, breathtakingly stark production by Emile and Plain Pat ("Wild'n Cuz I'm Young," riddled with sonar-style beeps, kills), but where Cudi fancies himself a deep downer, too often he's kind of a bore
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/reviews/album/45342/231359

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
The cynicism of reviewers gets on my nerves.  "Rote in his self-pity" and "A bore."  Uhhhhh....k Rolling Stone.  What they're saying there is that he's boring because he's beating the "dark" theme to death.  If Cudder is anything, he's not a bore.  His tracks are multi-layered, diverse, and refreshingly different.  His keeping of a theme on an album is a bad thing? k. Too often these sort of reviews give me the feeling that the reviewer simply skimmed through a few of the tracks.  Not that they did, but that's what these shallow reviews feel like. 

And maybe Cudi's a flat singer, but his voice is still dope.

All in all, I highly disagree. 

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Shaker said:
The cynicism of reviewers gets on my nerves.  "Rote in his self-pity" and "A bore."  Uhhhhh....k Rolling Stone.  What they're saying there is that he's boring because he's beating the "dark" theme to death.  If Cudder is anything, he's not a bore.  His tracks are multi-layered, diverse, and refreshingly different.  His keeping of a theme on an album is a bad thing? k. Too often these sort of reviews give me the feeling that the reviewer simply skimmed through a few of the tracks.  Not that they did, but that's what these shallow reviews feel like. 

And maybe Cudi's a flat singer, but his voice is still dope.

All in all, I highly disagree. 
They gave Drake's album a 3.5 and he "rotes in self-pity" more than anyone. Rolling Stone is like asking your grandpa for his take on a new videogame. They don't know shit about it, but they'll give their ignorant opinion and people will listen because they were once respected.

·
Registered
31,667 Posts
BadMotherCudder said:
They gave Drake's album a 3.5 and he "rotes in self-pity" more than anyone. Rolling Stone is like asking your grandpa for his take on a new videogame. They don't know shit about it, but they'll give their ignorant opinion and people will listen because they were once respected.
Real Post.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts