Kanye to The banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This one's been making the rounds, in case you've yet to oversaturate yourself with first-class flubs emanating from presidential contenders.

Rick Santorum, the increasingly likely runner-up in the GOP nominating marathon, took a wild swipe on Monday at higher education in California while he was campaigning in Wisconsin. He said...

I was just reading something last night, from the state of California. And the California universities, I think it's seven or eight of the California system of universities, don't even teach an American history course. It's not even available to be taught. Just to tell you how bad it's got in this country, where we're trying to disconnect the American people from the roots of who we are, so they have an understanding of what America should be.

Here's the video, from ThinkProgress:

Not sure what Santorum was reading, but it wasn't the University of California web site, which states, "All undergraduate degree programs at UC require study in American history and institutions. This requirement may be met through examination or enrollment in specific courses." Despite multiple rounds of budget cuts at both UC and CSU, American history is still taught at both. (You can see some of UC Berkeley's undergraduate history offerings here, for instance.)

The Chron's Politics Blog reports the following:

Both [UC and CSU] offer American history courses at all their campuses. Even UCSF, a medical school, offers a Ph.D. in Anthropology, History and Social Medicine which offers a concentration in history of American medicine.

All 23 CSU campuses offer a variety of American history courses, said CSU spokesman Mike Uhlenkamp. Students are required to take several of those courses or test out of them in order to graduate.

http://www.npr.org/local/stories/KQED/150004214

This is the most ignorant statement from a politician I've seen in a while. This is coming from a student at a public university in California. Who studies history. While US history isn't my primary field, I have actually taken more US History classes than any other classes. In fact, I would say that our US History classes are amongst the best in the department. We have award winning historians and top-selling authors on our staff who dedicate their studies to US history.

In fact, our catalog proves that we do teach US history:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/46939825/ns/local_news-sacramento_ca/t/santorum-calif-universities-dont-teach-american-history/#.T3yuNL_UMfk

I'm am just really surprised at how unfounded and ridiculous this claim is. Rick Santorum literally made this claim with no fondation, despite saying that he read somewhere. I guess I dislike Santorum's whole attitude towards education. He thinks it's snobbish to encourage people to go to school, despite the fact that he has a business degree and a law degree. Democracy is a reflection of the people and can be an extremely dangerous tool if the people are largely uneducated.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
the saddest thing is that his supporters will eat that shit up and call him an american hero

1 - 17 of 17 Posts