Kanye to The banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This movie is produced by George Lucas and it looks pretty good from the trailer. Def gonna go watch it when it comes out. Tell me what you think of it

·
Registered
526 Posts
pmub

Robert freeman from the Boondocks was in the Red Tails

G

·
Bump, cant wait. We just read choice of weapons by gordon parks at school and if im not mistaken, the photographs parks was supposed to take was of the airmen in this movie.

·
Registered
7,113 Posts
George Lucas claims racism reason for no funding

Los Angeles - George Lucas has criticized the major Hollywood studios for not supporting his latest movie because all of the lead actors are black.
The BBC reports that "Star Wars" creator George Lucas has launched a broadside attack on major Hollywood studios for their apparent refusal to support his latest film "Red Tails" because the main cast are black actors. Lucas said that he had to self-fund the film about African-American pilots in World War II (the Tuskegee aviators) as he was unable to convince any studio to back it. This was despite Lucas' successes with the "Star Wars" and "Indiana Jones" franchises. Later, according to the Hollywood Reporter, when he attempted to find a distributor for the feature about the African-American aerial combat unit, Lucas reckons that he met a similar wall of resistance and has had to pay for the distribution costs himself. The film is produced by Lucas' own company Lucasfilm and, like "Star Wars", will be distributed by Twentieth Century Fox CNN reports that when interviewed on the Daily Show Lucas, 67, said that major studios shied away from the film because "because it's an all-black movie" and "there's no major white roles in it at all". George Lucas created, co-wrote and produced "Red Tails" and has worked on the film on-and-off over the past 20 years. The focus of the film is on the the first African-American pilots to fly in a combat squadron during WWII. The film is directed by Anthony Hemingway (a TV director whose credits include “The Wire” and “ER”). The film stars Cuba Gooding Jr., Terrence Howard, Ne-Yo, David Oyelowo and Nate Parker and will be released in January 2012.

·
Premium Member
110,681 Posts
Yeah. He suggested it when he was on The Daily Show last week, and I don't see why it wouldn't be true. Hollywood is still full of shit and racist as hell. I'm glad someone like George Lucas is speaking about it and bringing the much needed attention to that issue.

·
Registered
8,031 Posts
Wolfcastle said:
Anybody seen this yet? I'm going next week. On student discount night :cryfam: I'm broke. I hope it does well and has a good opening weekend.
Some of the acting was eh...but once you over look that the movie really picks up. I will say it does have cliche characters in it. Like the young guy, the risk taker, the torture leader type of stuff. But it was an ok movie. I enjoyed it.

·
Registered
19,615 Posts
slimklp said:
Some of the acting was eh...but once you over look that the movie really picks up. I will say it does have cliche characters in it. Like the young guy, the risk taker, the torture leader type of stuff. But it was an ok movie. I enjoyed it.
That's what I was hearing, about the cliche characters. An alcoholic and some guy that didn't like being called chicken

·
Registered
8,031 Posts
Wolfcastle said:
That's what I was hearing, about the cliche characters. An alcoholic and some guy that didn't like being called chicken
Yeah exactly. But if you can overlook that it's pretty cool. Only thing i really didn't like was the transitions between scenes. It never felt natural, it just switch from one scene to something totally different, it had a really jolted effect. ALso 95% of the planes on and off the ground was damn CGI, kinda disappointing.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
dorian_j said:
Yeah. He suggested it when he was on The Daily Show last week, and I don't see why it wouldn't be true. Hollywood is still full of shit and racist as hell. I'm glad someone like George Lucas is speaking about it and bringing the much needed attention to that issue.
I think it has more to do with Hollywood thinking that an all black cast will not get as many viewers as an all white cast would. That doesnt mean that they are racist but instead that they are aware of the racism of the viewers. That said i think hollywood is right in this. It would certainly be a bigger movie if the cast had a white cast. I dont want to go into why i think this because i know some retard will think im being racist just because im talking about it.

For instance you remember the movie "Hancock"??? well the reason there is a scene cut when Will Smith goes to kiss the white girl before she throws him revealing her power is because during the pre screen viewing the white viewers where grossed out that a black man is kissing a white women. So hollywood cut the scene to please the white viewers. Its messed up but its still a reality in alot of places. I personally am a white straight male and i can honestly say i think Will Smith is a stud and he can kiss any women except fat/ugly ones and i wont be disgusted.

slimklp said:
Torture leader?? not sure what character that is. You mean like the leader that is good but tortures his crew to make them better???

slimklp said:
Yeah exactly. But if you can overlook that it's pretty cool. Only thing i really didn't like was the transitions between scenes. It never felt natural, it just switch from one scene to something totally different, it had a really jolted effect. ALso 95% of the planes on and off the ground was damn CGI, kinda disappointing.
Sounds like him not being able to find funding for the movie affected it a good amount. Kind of reminds me of G.I Joe the movie. That had pretty horrid CGI. Made me sad because i certainly think the Joes deserve a bigger funding then they got.

·
Registered
8,031 Posts
SideWays408 said:
Torture leader?? not sure what character that is. You mean like the leader that is good but tortures his crew to make them better???
I guess it doesn't spoil anything...
I was talking about the leader , he was an alcoholic which he fought with throughout the movie. SO i meant more like a "tortured leader" he basically fought with his decisions throughout the movie

·
Registered
8,031 Posts
SideWays408 said:
Sounds like him not being able to find funding for the movie affected it a good amount. Kind of reminds me of G.I Joe the movie. That had pretty horrid CGI. Made me sad because i certainly think the Joes deserve a bigger funding then they got.
I agree. The planes still looked great but it wou;d've have been great to have real ones.

·
Premium Member
110,681 Posts
SideWays408 said:
I think it has more to do with Hollywood thinking that an all black cast will not get as many viewers as an all white cast would. That doesnt mean that they are racist but instead that they are aware of the racism of the viewers. That said i think hollywood is right in this. It would certainly be a bigger movie if the cast had a white cast. I dont want to go into why i think this because i know some retard will think im being racist just because im talking about it.

For instance you remember the movie "Hancock"??? well the reason there is a scene cut when Will Smith goes to kiss the white girl before she throws him revealing her power is because during the pre screen viewing the white viewers where grossed out that a black man is kissing a white women. So hollywood cut the scene to please the white viewers. Its messed up but its still a reality in alot of places. I personally am a white straight male and i can honestly say i think Will Smith is a stud and he can kiss any women except fat/ugly ones and i wont be disgusted.
Interesting. So, with your logic we will never get a blockbuster movie with an all black cast, just because some people aren't ready for this. Yes, Hollywood might be aware of racism among the audiences, but that doesn't mean they're helping to fight the issue by not making more films where all the stereotypes are being discarded. Hollywood is at blame for this too. Let's not act like they're innocent. It's not like those films or certain scene will cause riots. This is not the early 1960s. It's 2012, so let's try to change the mindsets a bit. Instead of living in the past, let's try to make a step into the future. That's all I'm saying.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
dorian_j said:
Interesting. So, with your logic we will never get a blockbuster movie with an all black cast, just because some people aren't ready for this. Yes, Hollywood might be aware of racism among the audiences, but that doesn't mean they're helping to fight the issue by not making more films where all the stereotypes are being discarded. Hollywood is at blame for this too. Let's not act like they're innocent. It's not like those films or certain scene will cause riots. This is not the early 1960s. It's 2012, so let's try to change the mindsets a bit. Instead of living in the past, let's try to make a step into the future. That's all I'm saying.
Logic isnt the correct term for this. Im not solving an equation or something. Im pointing out what the facts of race in hollywood is.

Why would there never be a blockbuster movie with an all black cast??? How did you come to that conclusion??? cause i certainly didnt say such a thing. Im just pointing out that having an all black cast certainly affects sales. That can easily change one day. A great movie could come out tomorrow with an all black cast and it can be such a good movie that it gets huge sales. People arnt so racist that they wont see a movie because a black man is in it. But were talking about what happens "Generally". Generally speaking a movie like Red Tails gets more viewers if it has a white cast or atleast a white main role. White people feel comfortable watching a all black cast in a thug movie... that feels right to them. On the other hand imagine a movie like "Inception" with a all black cast?? That doesnt feel "realistic" and many other things so it will likely get lets viewers. That is all generally speaking.

So dont take a message from my post that isnt there. Nothing is written in stone. But hollywood is all about money and  movie like red tails typically will sell better if you have a white cast. They know this to be true which is why they didnt want to fund 30-40 million dollars into it. I read somewhere that a higher percentage of movies loses money then they make. And if a movie doesnt do good on the opening week then it could be years before the movie makes a profit for the studio itself. (This part i read from only 1 article so take it with a grain of salt until you do research on it yourself)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts