Kanye to The banner

1 - 20 of 288 Posts

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is just fucking sad man like WTF is wrong with people

But when it came to the casting of Rue, Thresh, and Cinna, many audience members did not understand why there were black actors playing those parts. Cinna's skin is not discussed in the book, so truthfully, though Lenny Kravitz was cast, a white, Asian or Latino actor could have played the part.

But. On page 45 of Suzanne Collins's book, Katniss sees Rue for the first time:

…And most hauntingly, a twelve-year-old girl from District 11. She has dark brown skin and eyes, but other than that's she's very like Prim in size and demeanor…

Later, she sees Thresh:

The boy tribute from District 11, Thresh, has the same dark skin as Rue, but the resemblance stops there. He's one of the giants, probably six and half feet tall and built like an ox.

Dark skin. That is what the novelist, the creator of the series, specified. But there were plenty of audience members who were "shocked," or confused, or just plain angry.
Here's what scares me…

All these… people… read the Hunger Games. Clearly, they all fell in love with and cared about Rue. Though what they really fell in love with was an image of Rue that they'd created in their minds. A girl that they knew they could love and adore and mourn at the thought of knowing that she's been brutally killed.

And then the casting is revealed (or they go see the movie) and they're shocked to see that Rue is black. Now… this is so much more than, "Oh, she's bigger than I thought". The reactions are all based on feelings of disgust.

These people are MAD that the girl that they cried over while reading the book was "some black girl" all along. So now they're angry. Wasted tears, wasted emotions. It's sad to think that had they known that she was black all along, there would have been [no] sorrow or sadness over her death.

There are MAJOR TIE-INS to these reactions and the injustices that we see around the world today. I don't even need to spell it out because I know that you're all a smart bunch.

This is a BIG problem. Think of all the murdered children. Think of all the missing children that get NO SCREEN TIME on the news.

It is NOT a coincidence.

THIS is the purpose of my blog… and to also point out shitty reading comprehension. LOL
http://jezebel.com/5896408/racist-hunger-games-fans-dont-care-how-much-money-the-movie-made

·
Banned
16,407 Posts
Hahahahaha. People are terrible. They really are.

Thresh was black, and he was badass. No problem with that though huh?

But really, I thought this would be about how the one district was overly black, the food was citrus and they were working on farm type areas to obtain it. For a white Capital.

Oh, and Rue can climb trees. Um... hello?

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
theboondocks said:
But on the real tho, are they fucking serious about this right now?

:cmon:
Like I'm almost speechless like wtf, like really people are that upset. Like wtf

·
Registered
22,240 Posts
Spythe said:
Like I'm almost speechless like wtf, like really people are that upset. Like wtf
I didn't know that her being black was such an issue for people.

Like I'm actually getting to a point where I just kinda feel sad for some people.

"She's black! She ruined the movie!"
This can't be real life

·
Registered
103,282 Posts
Cinna and Rue were supposed to be black WTF

Fucking idiots

I swear, we can't have anything nice without dumb ass ignorant ass people complaining.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
shit ive read all the books and didn't know they were black... actually the older one had a badass character so maybe I did.. i wasn't really paying attention I guess.. I read the shit online

but smh at these responses

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
2Based said:
But it says Rue is dark skinned in the book o_O
I thought the castings of Rue and Thresh were exactly how i pictured them. Especially Rue actually. I'm not sure how I pictured Cinna but Lenny was fine.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Upon reading those tweets, Im absolutely disgusted. Just horrible that people would actually publicly announce these sort of things.

1 - 20 of 288 Posts