Kanye to The banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you think of lyrics first then choose a beat
or do you choose a beat and then think of lyrics?
like do you need the beat to make the song?
or the song to get a beat?

·
Registered
9,363 Posts
Sometimes, I'll be inspired to write so I'll write. If they fit a beat and the flow is nice, great, if not, I'll tweak the bars so they sound right.
Most of the time though, I prefer to have the beat and write to it.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Luque said:
Sometimes, I'll be inspired to write so I'll write. If they fit a beat and the flow is nice, great, if not, I'll tweak the bars so they sound right.
Yep. I have a smartphone, so a lot of the time, while out, I'll think of a beat and a couple of bars, and I go on YouTube, get the instrumental, spit to it, jot the lyrics down in a note on my iPod, and finish it at home. But that's only if something hot just pops in my head and I get a good idea and don't want to forget it.

·
Banned
29,039 Posts
i only actually pen lyrics when i have the beat ready, but when im just walking around or whatever and think of some rhymes ill store the ideas in the back of my mind and end up using them as the foundation for my written verses when i have the beat. if that makes sense

B

·
0 Posts
For me I will get beats that relate to what I want to say and let the music inspire the words

L

·
0 Posts
I usually write out everything i'm think before i put them in song form. Sometimes I draw art to express what i'm feeling and then I use what I've done to inspire my writing once I listen to the instrumental. I might have a couple lines here and there that fit the puzzle of the song I'm doing. It's really amazing how a song comes together. Especially the process. 

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I usually use a beat to write but sometimes while im at work I will think of a few lines that I like and put them in my phone until later.  But I have a playlist of beats (several actually) that I want to write to and I have a few notes on my ipod that I write in.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Ummmmm, for me I usually get an idea first or a hook. Then I find a beat that closely resembles the hook I came up with  and then I write out a few lines and then develop the idea further. FOr me that seems to be the easiest route

·
Registered
8,333 Posts
I'll usually write about 8 bars without a beat, and if I think its good enough I'll find a beat for it and then keep writing. Or I'll find the perfect beat for the mood I'm in at the time and write to it. But when I'm somewhere I usually just store random lines into my phone and use them in whatever verse it fits in.

·
Registered
8,031 Posts
Luque said:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts