Kanye to The banner

1 - 20 of 163 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kanye West is still a 'jackass': President Obama

But Obama was quick to give a nod to West, whom he insulted in 2009 after the singer ruined Taylor Swift's acceptance speech at the VMAs.

Kanye West is still a "jackass," according to President Obama.

The commander-in-chief spoke out about his rap star preferences in a brief interview with The Atlantic, telling the magazine he prefers Jay-Z to the hot-headed hip-hopper.

But Obama was quick to give a nod to West, whom he insulted after the singer ruined Taylor Swift's acceptance speech by jumping on stage at the MTV Video Music Awards in 2009.

"[Kanye's] a Chicago guy," Obama told the magazine, which published the interview on Thursday. "Smart. He's very talented."

When journalist David Samuels reminded Obama he'd previously called Kanye a "jackass," Obama said he still thought that way.

"He is a jackass," said the president. "But he's talented."

West has a history of dustups with presidents. The hip hop star also received disapproval from then-President George Bush in 2005 in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, telling NBC's "Today" show the president was "racist" and "didn't care about black people."

Bush later revealed in his memoir that West's insult was one of the lowest points in his presidency.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/kanye-west-a-jackass-president-obama-article-1.1060334?localLinksEnabled=false

Later in the interview he asked Rakim the same question:

"When I tell Rakim about my earlier encounter with President Obama, he smiles. Unlike the president, Rakim says he prefers Kanye to Jay-Z. He stops himself for a moment, and then looks sad. "It's good that the president knows about Kanye, but to have to call him a jackass?" he says, leaning forward in his chair. "He should be a little more focused … I mean, that exposure could have been 'Yeah, Kanye, he's a very interesting person.' Instead of 'He's a jackass.'"

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2012/05/american-mozart/8931/3/

1 - 20 of 163 Posts