Kanye to The banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
30,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've recently discovered them (a week or two ago), i've been watching their live NYC performances. Pretty awesome.

Have they done any callobo's with anyone?

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
MTP said:
I've recently discovered them (a week or two ago), i've been watching their live NYC performances. Pretty awesome.

Have they done any callobo's with anyone?
Don't think so. I had to look this one up: they did a show where Chuck D showed up and did a freestyle over Machine Gun..

·
Registered
610 Posts
Portishead is one of my favorite alternative bands. Beth Williams has this voice that's like...I can't even explain it. It's so vulnerable, but so sexy.

I also think their influence is spread out more than most people think. We definitely would not have The XX without Portishead, etc.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I re-listened to Third a few weeks ago and, although I'd always really loved the album, I seemed to have missed how superb a track Threads is. It was like discovering a brilliant new song for me, awesome.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Every song on Dummy is amazing. Glory Box is probably my favorite. I need to listen to Portishead (album) and Third some more though.

·
Registered
28,422 Posts
Anyone who seems to come in contact with their music goes on to pioneer Hip Hop music lol I.e. Outkast and Kanye West

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
▲FlyMx said:
Anyone who seems to come in contact with their music goes on to pioneer Hip Hop music lol I.e. Outkast and Kanye West
Dr. Dre also. I know peeps don't all like Dre here, but it's undeniable that he was a pioneer in hip hop and he has expressed a love of Portishead. So yeah, that theory holds some major water!

I always thought it would be great for someone to spit over Dummy. The beats just drip with soul and character. That's not a shot at Gibbons either, as she sounds angelic all over it.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Albert McFly™ said:
School me on some Portishead.
They're one of the UK's premier music acts, in my experience often ranked only below Radiohead by a lot of people (myself included). Beth Gibbons has an incredible voice.

This is their most well-known track, from the 1994 album Dummy. The album is pretty seminal but seemingly across a range of styles, which is rare:

This is the lead track from their latest album, 2008's Third. It just bangs, basically. I always think the end bit sounds like the most joyous machine uprising imaginable, haha:

·
Registered
28,422 Posts
Porcelina said:
Dr. Dre also. I know peeps don't all like Dre here, but it's undeniable that he was a pioneer in hip hop and he has expressed a love of Portishead. So yeah, that theory holds some major water!

I always thought it would be great for someone to spit over Dummy. The beats just drip with soul and character. That's not a shot at Gibbons either, as she sounds angelic all over it.
You can def hear the influence they had on Outkast. Hopefully I'll be next in that line :D

1 - 20 of 92 Posts