Kanye to The banner

Portishead.

8533 91
Let's talk about them.
1 - 20 of 92 Posts
Awesome band. What more do you wanna know?

(I've only heard their first and third album though)
I've recently discovered them (a week or two ago), i've been watching their live NYC performances. Pretty awesome.

Have they done any callobo's with anyone?
Don't think so. I had to look this one up: they did a show where Chuck D showed up and did a freestyle over Machine Gun..
MTP said:
I've recently discovered them (a week or two ago), i've been watching their live NYC performances. Pretty awesome.

Have they done any callobo's with anyone?
Woah nice.

This is on repeat atm:
Portishead is one of my favorite alternative bands. Beth Williams has this voice that's like...I can't even explain it. It's so vulnerable, but so sexy.

I also think their influence is spread out more than most people think. We definitely would not have The XX without Portishead, etc.
I re-listened to Third a few weeks ago and, although I'd always really loved the album, I seemed to have missed how superb a track Threads is. It was like discovering a brilliant new song for me, awesome.
Every song on Dummy is amazing. Glory Box is probably my favorite. I need to listen to Portishead (album) and Third some more though.
Anyone who seems to come in contact with their music goes on to pioneer Hip Hop music lol I.e. Outkast and Kanye West
Dr. Dre also. I know peeps don't all like Dre here, but it's undeniable that he was a pioneer in hip hop and he has expressed a love of Portishead. So yeah, that theory holds some major water!

I always thought it would be great for someone to spit over Dummy. The beats just drip with soul and character. That's not a shot at Gibbons either, as she sounds angelic all over it.
▲FlyMx said:
Anyone who seems to come in contact with their music goes on to pioneer Hip Hop music lol I.e. Outkast and Kanye West
School me on some Portishead.
They're one of the UK's premier music acts, in my experience often ranked only below Radiohead by a lot of people (myself included). Beth Gibbons has an incredible voice.

This is their most well-known track, from the 1994 album Dummy. The album is pretty seminal but seemingly across a range of styles, which is rare:

This is the lead track from their latest album, 2008's Third. It just bangs, basically. I always think the end bit sounds like the most joyous machine uprising imaginable, haha:

Albert McFly™ said:
School me on some Portishead.
You can def hear the influence they had on Outkast. Hopefully I'll be next in that line :D
Porcelina said:
Dr. Dre also. I know peeps don't all like Dre here, but it's undeniable that he was a pioneer in hip hop and he has expressed a love of Portishead. So yeah, that theory holds some major water!

I always thought it would be great for someone to spit over Dummy. The beats just drip with soul and character. That's not a shot at Gibbons either, as she sounds angelic all over it.
Thanks, I love her voice. I'm going to check out more songs
Haha, let's hope so!

▲FlyMx said:
You can def hear the influence they had on Outkast. Hopefully I'll be next in that line :D
Albert McFly™ said:
Thanks, I love her voice. I'm going to check out more songs
No worries, good luck with it.
Yeah it takes me a while to adjust to a new band that I'm unfamiliar with. 
Porcelina said:
No worries, good luck with it.
Yo is there like a DVD of these NYC vids ya'll are posting?
Portishead <3

listen to all 3 albums
1 - 20 of 92 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.