Kanye to The banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
36,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Didn't see a thread about this and sincere apologies if already done. Great show :allears:

"Oz" is the nickname for the Oswald State Correctional Facility, formerly Oswald State Penitentiary, a fictional maximum-security prison (level 4). The nickname is a reference to the classic film Wizard of Oz, which is notable for popularizing the phrase: "There's no place like home". In contrast, the series has used the tagline: "It's no place like home".

Many of the plot arcs are set in "Emerald City" ("Em City"), also a concept from The Wizard of Oz. In this experimental unit of the prison, unit manager Tim McManus attempts to emphasize rehabilitation and learning responsibility during incarceration, as opposed to pure punishment. Emerald City is an extremely controlled environment in which there is a carefully managed number of members of each racial and social group, with the hope of easing tensions among these various groups.

Under McManus and Warden Leo Glynn, the inmates in Em City all struggle to fulfill their own needs. Some fight for power; either power over the drug trade or power over the other inmate factions. Others, corrections officers and inmates alike, simply want to survive long enough. In particular the prisoners want to make parole or even to see tomorrow. The show gives a no-holds-barred account of prison life with all the plots, subplots and conflicts given context and explanation by the show's wheelchair-using narrator, Augustus Hill.

Oz chronicles the attempts of McManus to keep control over the inmates of Em City. There are many groups of inmates during the run of the show and not everybody within each group makes it out alive. There are the African American Homeboys (Adebisi, Wangler, Redding, Poet, Keene, Supreme Allah) and Muslims (Said, Arif, Hamid Khan), the Wiseguys (Pancamo, Nappa, Schibetta), the Aryans (Schillinger, Robson, Mark Mack), the Latinos (Alvarez, Morales, Guerra, Hernandez), the Irish (the O'Reily brothers), the gays (Hanlon, Cramer), the bikers (Hoyt), and a number of others (Rebadow, Keller, Stanislofsky). In contrast to the dangerous criminals, regular character Tobias Beecher gives a look at a normal man who made one fatal drunk-driving mistake. The episodes are narrated and held together by inmate Augustus Hill, who provides the show with some context, some sense of humor, etc.

The ensemble cast included Christopher Meloni, Ernie Hudson, Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje, Harold Perrineau Jr., Eamonn Walker, Rita Moreno, John Lurie, Terry Kinney, Betty Buckley, Kathryn Erbe, Lee Tergesen, B. D. Wong, J. K. Simmons, Dean Winters, Scott William Winters, Kirk Acevedo, Erik King, Evan Seinfeld, David Zayas, Lauren Vélez, and Edie Falco.

Eric Roberts, Joyce Van Patten, Method Man, Luke Perry, Master P, Treach, LL Cool J, Rick Fox, Dana Ivey and Peter Criss have made appearances on the show.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oz_%28TV_series%29

·
Registered
36,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
4everAugust said:
its a mindfuck seeing simmons play nice guys in other films, he was so cruel and sick on OZ lol

dude is a legit actor...... I see him winning a best supporting actor award in the near future
Lmao I completely agree. I completely forgot he was Schillinger when I saw him in Spiderman and on Law & Order too

:psyboom:

Great actor

·
Registered
10,304 Posts
first 3 seasons and first half of season 4 were great...kinda went downhill after that but was still fun to watch if not for how awful it became...I preferred how it focused on the gangs and how they interacted more in those earlier seasons whereas in the later seasons a lot of the best characters were gone and they started focusing more on gay relationships and stupid storylines like the aging drug and pot brownies getting smuggled in lol

its a great show to watch just to see all those different actors in earlier roles

·
Registered
10,304 Posts
btw considering how the series ended who would watch the show if they decided to bring it back again...have some of the same characters who survived the series the first time around and obviously bring in some new ones...idk if it'd have the same magic the original series (that kind of goofy but still fun vibe) but I'd give it a shot

·
Registered
10,304 Posts
whitemalcolmx said:
Bump, in season 5 and it is turmoil so far. Discongulated storylines and they just bring in a disposable character whenever they can't risk one of the main characters taking a hit.
yeah lol this show fell off after
Adebisi died
tbh...still had some good moments here and there but it felt like they put more focus on the gay prison relationships and other stupid storylines like the
aging medicine
lmao and the god awful
musical episode
and strayed away from the interactions of the different gangs/crews that made the show so fun to watch in its earlier seasons

·
Registered
10,304 Posts
THIZZ said:
Goat show.
while they're bringing Twin Peaks back I say they should bring this show back lol...throw in characters from the original series of course but also bring some new faces in...shit they way the series finale ended practically hinted at a sequel/spinoff someday but it just never happened

1 - 20 of 49 Posts