Kanye to The banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
5,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just want to get some of your opinions on how you feel about Ye's latest lyrics.  While he was never the best lyricist, I think he's been under-rated in that aspect and is known for dropping some lyrical gems (Jesus Walks, Through The Wire).  However, I felt that "Graduation" was a step down lyrically, from "College Dropout" and "Late Registration".  The lyrical content on Graduation, save a few songs, was kind of stale and probably the cause of being my least favourite Kanye album.  That and some songs felt a tad over-produced (Champion). 

Anyway, it's safe to say we've practically heard most of "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy" and while the production sounds superb, I can't say I'm too impressed with the lyrics thus far.  Keep in mind that I've only heard the leaked tracks a couple of times (save the GOOD Friday tracks) so I may be making a premature opinion -- so go easy on the flaming.  I mean, as beautiful as "Lost In The World" sounds, I can't be satisfied with that one verse -- even if it's a really good verse.  The same can be said about "All Of The Lights"; great, over-the-top production, but lacking that lyrical magic, in my opinion.  Kanye is probably the hardest worker in the game and you can hear that in his production, but I'm hoping his lyrics don't suffer as a result.  I may change my mind once I hear the album in full, and have a better chance of taking in the lyrics, but is anyone feeling me or am I alone?

·
Registered
35,081 Posts
Did you hear the lyrics on Gorgeous, DIAND & Dark Fantasy ? He goes hard  .

·
Premium Member
12,275 Posts
Dark Fantasy, Gorgeous, his verses on Monster + So Appalled, Devil In A New Dress, Power are all very lyrical

Seems like a good mix imo :dno: - it's funny though my favorite songs are the over-produced ones though lol

·
Registered
9,018 Posts
Graduation was a STEP DOWN??

Are serious!!!!!!!!

If anything, it was a step up.

Homecoming, I Wonder, Flashing Lights are upppp there!!!

·
Registered
5,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Szohr said:
Dark Fantasy, Gorgeous, his verses on Monster + So Appalled, Devil In A New Dress, Power are all very lyrical

Seems like a good mix imo :dno: - it's funny though my favorite songs are the over-produced ones though lol
Dark Fantasy sounds dope, but I'm not a big fan of his Monster verse.  DIAND is quite good as well, but I'm wondering if there is a third verse?  Power is great.  AOTL and LITW are lackluster.  I think that See Me Now, despite getting alot of hate, is one of my favourites lyrically, so far.

·
Registered
4,526 Posts
LatinoLoco said:
Dark Fantasy sounds dope, but I'm not a big fan of his Monster verse.  DIAND is quite good as well, but I'm wondering if there is a third verse?  Power is great.  AOTL and LITW are lackluster.  I think that See Me Now, despite getting alot of hate, is one of my favourites lyrically, so far.
have you heard Gorgeous?

·
Registered
5,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ONMusic said:
Graduation was a STEP DOWN??

Are serious!!!!!!!!

If anything, it was a step up.

Homecoming, I Wonder, Flashing Lights are upppp there!!!
Yes, in my opinion it was bro.  Homecoming was very very old and in fact, the original with John Legend sounded much better than what we got on Graduation.  Anyway, some songs were great, but overall, the lyrics on Graduation were a step down from LR and CD IMO. 

·
Banned
260,958 Posts
Graduations lyrics were different. CD and LR focused on like, problems of the world and similar things (yes, what a good job at being descriptive by me) while Grad was more introspective, him looking back at things, and realizing how great he is, among other things.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I feel you.. It's definitely a fear. The vibe that he's striving for doesn't lend itself to the heavy lyrical power and lesser production (basic definition of rap) rather a hip-hop, production masterpiece mixed with this lyrical power. That idea might not come off clear so I'll write it better:
    1/2 of MBDTF= Great Production
    1/2 of MBDTF= Lyrical/Soulful Ingenuity

·
Registered
11,837 Posts
Gorgeous: "Is hip hop just a euphemism for the new religion, the soul music of the slaves that the youth is missing"

yea, not lyrical at all...

·
Registered
7,618 Posts
LatinoLoco said:

Anyway, it's safe to say we've practically heard most of "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy" and while the production sounds superb, I can't say I'm too impressed with the lyrics thus far. 
I agree with the rest of the post in your concerns, but what makes you think this? Both Kanye and wat confirmed we haven't heard these songs, and even if we have heard what they will sound like, we haven't heard the finished versions with all the lyrics.

But to answer your question, I am not worried. People are making Gorgeous sound incredible lyrically (I haven't heard it myself), LITW has a fantastic verse, (though only 1 at this point, true), AOTL is pretty solid so far, Dark Fantasy is lyrically one of the best songs he has ever put out IMO, certainly better than anything on Graduation, DIAND is decent to great throughout, POWER has the annoying second verse and annoying parts from the third, but the final could have a different verse and thus be very good lyrically.

Overall, we are getting an album with incredible production and good-great lyrics = his masterpiece.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts