Kanye to The banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I was getting a ride with my mom this morning listening to the radio when Try a Little Tenderness came on. My mom immediately perked up and started bobbing her head to his soulful voice, asking me if I had heard it before, claiming that this is "real" music. When Otis first came out, I skimmed through the original song looking for the parts Kanye sampled, but I didn't listen to the track in its entirety. While in the car, though, I started to gain a new appreciation for Kanye and Jay-Z's Otis, which I originally was not a huge fan of. Upon its release I couldn't help but think of the song as empty and unfinished, even when I listened to the versions where people had added in their own drums. However, when I listened to the original song, I recognized the soul in the sample which I hadn't before. When I went back to listen to Otis, while I still wasn't crazy about it, I couldn't stop myself from bobbing my head to Otis' voice in the sample.

tl;dr version - Listen to the original Try a Little Tenderness, go back to Otis, see if opinion of track has changed.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I had the exact same feeling. We share this feeling, man.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts