Kanye to The banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone link me to some lessons for music theory? Preferably video?

·
Banned
18,305 Posts
RobHiko. said:
Can someone link me to some lessons for music theory? Preferably video?
But really, what do you hope to accomplish with it? Are you trying to compose? Learn an instrument?... like so I can get you the right thing.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mercy said:
But really, what do you hope to accomplish with it? Are you trying to compose? Learn an instrument?... like so I can get you the right thing.
Yeah pretty much. Just for making my own songs. Mainly piano and stuff. I took guitar lessons, but I just need some refreshing.

·
Banned
18,305 Posts
RobHiko. said:
Yeah pretty much. Just for making my own songs. Mainly piano and stuff. I took guitar lessons, but I just need some refreshing.
What genre?

·
Banned
18,305 Posts
RobHiko. said:
Jazz and Disco. :slick: Don't question it plehbo1.
im questioning to find the right stuff for you. Who you learn from has such a huge influence on how you play and ultimately how you make music.

I don't know who taught that kool-aid piano guy from the Kanye-section how to play, because he has legit skill, but this guy plays fucking power chords the whole time on every song. That shit drive's me crazy.

I'll hook you up in 5 hrs or so when im done with this essay

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mercy said:
im questioning to find the right stuff for you. Who you learn from has such a huge influence on how you play and ultimately how you make music.

I don't know who taught that kool-aid piano guy from the Kanye-section how to play, because he has legit skill, but this guy plays fucking power chords the whole time on every song. That shit drive's me crazy.

I'll hook you up in 5 hrs or so when im done with this essay
lol I was saying not to question why I wanted to learn disco and jazz theory, not what genre. And thanks dude!

·
Banned
18,305 Posts
RobHiko. said:
lol I was saying not to question why I wanted to learn disco and jazz theory, not what genre. And thanks dude!
JAZZ

For the Guitar:
This guy has some pretty good tutorials for jazz guitar. Nothing toooo fancy, but if you don't know alot about chord theory, you'll probably have to rewind a bit.

The guy's not Al Di Meola or something, so its not out of this world; its understandable if you already play. It was just too much for me because I was a guitar rookie. I aint ready for that guitar life yet.

This one talks about the 2-5-1 chord progression: VERY Very Big in Jazz

This one is a list of some chords and he shows you how to play.

For the piano:

Uhmm, if you're not already pretty good at piano, I wouldn't recommend looking at too much Jazz stuff because I think, like any other instrument, you have to walk before you run. And walk pretty damn good first, if you catch my drift.

There are a tonnnn of people that play the piano, and play by ear, but aren't really good at playing. Trust me, I was in the same boat for a while. Still am sometimes.... I try to run before I can jog. But yeah, I'll address alot of this when I make those piano tutorials.

Taking you're playing to the next level... actually being good enough to play a song all the way through, accompaniment, shit like that.

But yeah, start really really basic, and go from there. Like, don't go to the next level until you can play the shit in your sleep. If you can't don't take it to the next level.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
word, thanks. Can you link me to some beginners tutorials for piano? I don't really know theory, but I can play decently by ear.

·
Banned
18,305 Posts
RobHiko. said:
word, thanks. Can you link me to some beginners tutorials for piano? I don't really know theory, but I can play decently by ear.
Yeah, there are things you miss when you start playing by ear that can be so useful.

The biggest thing I think people miss is a sense of rhythm when it comes to playing. But simple shit like that, I had to relearn. Learning different chords, common chord progressions, different voicings, the drills. So much to learn that you don't get by ear.

I'll post some later though. I think my hand will fall off it i type anymore. I typed a 6 page paper this morning. Prcrastination >

1 - 17 of 17 Posts