Kanye to The banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
26,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the last year we've noticed quite a few popular artists experiment with their sounds on the albums and pay less attention to what's trending on the radio. It started with TPAB being more jazz and funk-inspired. This year we also had Beyonce drop a more personal and conceptual album with different genres inspiring the music and no real obvious radio hit, same with YG who released Still Brazy which it seems like he always was meant to make. Free TC could've been a sophmore slump but, not counting a few obvious radio singles I'd say the album seems like it's what Ty$ actually wanted to do and didn't have his vision completely blinded by what will sell the most. And Q just dropped BFLP which, although it obviously isn't hugely experimental, is less radio friendly and accessible than Oxymoron.

All of these albums didn't sell as much as their predecessors or as much as they could've if they were more accessible, but are either praised or well received by the critics and music fans more than their preceding work.

I'd say this is one of the bigger reasons why these artists who were probably being played more in the clubs and shit in 2014 are now not selling as much, although most of them aren't flopping or anything except Ty$ which is a shame cause TC is a good album. :kermit2:

·
Registered
46,633 Posts
But why are people who try to make hits like Jeremih flopping?

(Never mind, I know it's the label's fault, I just think it's unfair)  :jordancry:

·
Banned
26,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
flizzy said:
But why are people who try to make hits like Jeremih flopping?

(Never mind, I know it's the label's fault, I just think it's unfair)  :jordancry:
That's actually sad af cause his music has huge hit potential and Late Nights: The Album is great. That's just the label fucking him over. He deserves better. :feels:

·
Banned
26,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
YBJJ said:
Mac with the truth again
ALLA is also a pretty good example
:yejoice: I'm not a huge fan of ALLA but I appreciate that Rocky tried to experiment with his sound. The best tracks on it are those tracks imo.

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
MAC THE GOAT said:
:yejoice: I'm not a huge fan of ALLA but I appreciate that Rocky tried to experiment with his sound. The best tracks on it are those tracks imo.
To each his own but I was just saying that Rocky obviously didn't go for hits on ALLA :khaled2:
Best Rocky album in my opinion :hhh:

·
Banned
26,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
lilgoon said:
VFT6 out now
Good example, that is a highly successful album but Drake is getting criticized for not doing anything different or new with his subject matter or beat selection, while albums who are doing so and are not as focused on the hit factor of the album are not selling as well. Props for Drizzy for being able to make hits though, not everyone can do that.

·
Registered
46,633 Posts
MAC THE GOAT said:
But I do think Rocky should go back to the hits, some experiments like Fine Whine didn't work out, and I don't want his next album to sound like Riot Rave

I mean, ALLA was good but it seemed a little confused if you know what I mean

·
Banned
26,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
therealgenius said:
It's not necessarily bad but I prefer the normal verse-chorus song structure from mainstream acts.
Indie acts are better at the artsy shit anyway.
Fair enough, I think some artists are better staying in their own lane while I enjoy some other mainstream artists switching their style up when I think they're capable of it. :khaled2:

·
Banned
26,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
flizzy said:
But I do think Rocky should go back to the hits, some experiments like Fine Whine didn't work out, and I don't want his next album to sound like Riot Rave

I mean, ALLA was good but it seemed a little confused if you know what I mean
Yeah I feel you. I think the best tracks on the album are Better Things and Back Home so I feel like his experimentation is hit or miss but I like it better than Long.Live, mostly because some songs on it were just too poppy for him like Fashion Killa. Live.Love is the best Rocky project tho imo. :kanyeshrug:

·
Registered
35,499 Posts
MAC THE GOAT said:
Good example, that is a highly successful album but Drake is getting criticized for not doing anything different or new with his subject matter or beat selection, while albums who are doing so and are not as focused on the hit factor of the album are not selling as well. Props for Drizzy for being able to make hits though, not everyone can do that.
never actually thought about this :kermit2:

·
Registered
46,633 Posts
I think Beyoncé was on the way to do that anyway when she dropped her self titled

She was stuck in that pop star image since the late 90's, then she was executive producer in the making of 4, without her dad which gave her more freedom to display what she wanted

Then when Beyoncé came I think she made it self titled because she felt like this one is really what she wanted to do, she's already in a certain position when she doesn't have to prove anything and she's free to go left lane

So while the change she did with Lemonade was surprising, it wasn't all unexpected

·
Banned
26,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
PushaToThe said:
illegal downloads + streaming.

I might buy the album after listening to the leak for 1-2 weeks tho :kanyeshrug:
Yeah obviously but artists are still being able to sell records even with those circumstances.

ToBeAnnounced said:
never actually thought about this :kermit2:
Was that sarcasm fam? :khaled2:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts