Kanye to The banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this of the OddFutureTalk Forum, so I guess I'll post it here as well. Before you all brutally punch me in eyes, I'm just going to get this off my chest... And if it's too long for you to read, well...good bye and go fuck around on the next thread with your short attention span.

The Breakdown

We all know that Odd Future is more successful than before, especially with the help of Wolf Leader Tyler and his song "Yonkers". We know that they claim that they aren't about money whatsoever and just want to make a name for themselves by being themselves, thus they don't want to sell out. However, Tyler wants himself and his pack to be in the history books, win Grammys, and just gain recognition overall (he already won a VMA). "Goblin" sold over 150k copies so far, and the latest "OF Tape Vol. 2" probably sold over 50k copies as of April 2012.

The Issue: I hate to admit, but I think this group and similar acts could only go so far with their style of music. This isn't the 1990s and early 2000s anymore. The rebellious and shock values acts like Marilyn Manson, Limp Bizkit, Slipknot, and even Eminem especially were very successful in the late 90s-early 2000s. I think Odd Future would've done well in either that era, or the post-NWA era around the time when Dr. Dre left, the West & East Coast were reigning, and rugged Nasir-type shit was in. Earl Sweatshirt would've definitely excelled.

Odd Future may have some immature songs here and there, but their shit is more rough and different than almost anybody in the mainstream. It's bad enough that many people pre-judge Tyler, labelling him as "gross" or a "Satan-worshipper" because of that one video. Let's face it, as of right now this generation glorifies being hip, fly, rich, horny, drunks, potheads, assholes, party-goers, metrosexual, gay as fuck (not homophobic), and the like. That's why LMFAO, Lil Wayne, Drake, Wiz Khalifa, and Mac Miller are popular.

Funnily, Lady Gaga's popular for the same thing Odd Future isn't, but that's just because he's a pop singer if I've not mistaken. Eminem as well, but I really think it was because it was for his skin color and great personality and rap skill to go with it. I know some people are discovering decent underground artists, duos, and groups, but most are still blind and follow up with what's hot on the radio or those god-awful, sold-out pieces of trash BET & MTV.

Maybe someday a GREAT, NOTICABLE, MUSICAL RENAISSANCE will come and people will then realize that Lil Wayne isn't the best, Tupac and Biggie are not coming back, Santa Rick Ross isn't real, most modern mainstream rappers are posers, and so forth. I vividly remember a time circa 2003 when 50 Cent came out and everyone wanted to be the greatest pimpin' gangster on this motherfucking earth; sagging their pants and loving their gats. Now, those same people wear skinny waxed pants, dance to shitty music, and are swaggots. Both eras were/are low-brow worthy, but it goes to show you how fickle humans are.

Now, let me show you what I think will happen to these Odd Future members in this day of age...
And yes, I copied and pasted all the names from Wiki.

ODD FUTURE'S FUTURE:

Tyler, The Creator - Different style, average lyrical skill. Outcome: Will not succeed as a rapper, but possibly a producer, video director, and entrepreneur.

Hodgy Beats - Decent rapper, somewhat different style. Outcome: May succeed commercially, but he might have to leave those dark lyrics alone for some of his songs.

Left Brain - Good producer. Outcome: Will be a well-known producer.

Earl Sweatshirt - Above average rapper, very decent lyrical skill, different style. Outcome: May not succeed commercially and will remain a underground rapper while still making a living like MF Doom and others.

Domo Genesis - Average rapper, average style, weed-influenced lyrics. Outcome: May succeed, but not too commercially like Wiz and Mac.

Mike G - Average rapper, average style. Outcome: May succeed, but I doubt too commercially successful.

Frank Ocean - Decent singer, has good lyrics, chill rapper. Outcome: Will succeed commercially if he goes solo and hooks up with the right people, producers, and the like.

Syd tha Kyd - Okay producer & mixer. Average singer. Outcome: Will be mostly an underground producer and DJ, with possibly a few hit songs produced for other people.

Matt Martians - Decent style for "The Jet Age of Tomorrow" duo. Outcome: Definitely staying underground, unless he maybe produces some songs for well-known artists.

Jasper Dolphin - Soulja Boy/Gucci Mane-like rapper. Outcome: Unless he decides to make an album and people eat up his shit anally, I don't see him going anywhere except living a somewhat normal life later on.

Taco -  Can direct videos, but sucks at rapping more than Jasper does. Has a comical personality. Outcome: He could be the next Nick Cannon.

L-Boy - Lionel? He doesn't really.....do much except star in the Loiter Squad show. Has a nice build. Outcome: Being a bodyguard or appear in those "get fit" commercials. He reminds of Shaq for some reason.

BrandUn DeShay - Left Odd Future I know. His rapping skills are very average and has a bland style. Outcome: I don't see him being too commercially successful by himself.

Casey Veggies - Average rapper, average style. Outcome: Again, this is another guy I can't picture being commercially excellent.

To wrap this up, I'm just going to say that if you have any thoughts about Odd Future's relevance and such, just post them. By the way, here's something y'all should see about "Tyler wanting to be the best" if you haven't already: http://www.mtv.com/v...html#id=1663376

·
Registered
19,802 Posts
That was god awful. Do you legitimately see Jasper and Taco as rappers they're a joke and they know it. Frank ... a decent sing/songwriter ... he has written for and performed with some of the biggest names in music. And Earl could end up as successful as early Eminem. IDK this whole post just seems like someone ignorant wasting a month trying to sound like they know shit .... which they .... don't.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
taco can direct videos?? and frank an okay singer? and yo tylers the best rapper out of the group, flow wise, hes almost on lyrical level with earl. No offense homeboy but what you wrote up there sucks balls. Your over analyzing everything way too much dawg.

And like, if your comparing there actual rapping ability, all the actual rappers are way more skilled then most of the mainstream rappers today.

·
Registered
74,816 Posts
howami said:
Frank Ocean - Decent singer, has good lyrics, chill rapper. Outcome: Will succeed commercially if he goes solo and hooks up with the right people, producers, and the like.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
OP, you seem a little biased against them to make your point. I do understand what you're trying to say but I think you're oblivious to a lot of things happening. "Underground" music is more popular now then ever. Have you heard of a hipster? They're like a driving force behind this shit tbh.

People now have more options for music and OF markets themselves differently. I think they're successful now - despite not being on the radio. It seems to me OP that you still think that radio play = success. That shit is far from true now.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts