Kanye to The banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
“Dark Fantasy” was my long, backhanded apology. You know how people give a backhanded compliment? It was a backhanded apology. It was like, all these raps, all these sonic acrobatics. I was like: “Let me show you guys what I can do, and please accept me back. You want to have me on your shelves.”
That’s fascinating, to look at that record through that lens.

I don’t have some type of romantic relationship with the public. I’m like, the anti-celebrity, and my music comes from a place of being anti. That was the album where I gave people what they wanted. I don’t think that at that point, with my relationship with the public and with skeptical buyers, that I could’ve done “Black Skinhead” [from “Yeezus]

Does that make “Dark Fantasy” a dishonest album in some way?

It’s always going to be 80 percent, at least, what I want to give, and 20 percent fulfilling a perception. If you walk into an old man’s house, they’re not giving nothing. They’re at 100 percent exactly what they want to do. I would hear stories about Steve Jobs and feel like he was at 100 percent exactly what he wanted to do, but I’m sure even a Steve Jobs has compromised. Even a Rick Owens has compromised. You know, even a Kanye West has compromised. Sometimes you don’t even know when you’re being compromised till after the fact, and that’s what you regret.

I don’t want to come off dissing “Dark Fantasy.” It’s me never being satisfied and then me coming and admitting and saying the truth. As much as I can air things out for other people, to air things out for myself, to say, “I feel like this could’ve been stronger.”

·
Registered
11,466 Posts
People were using this as a way of proving Yeezus is better than MBDTF

How he feels about it now is irrelevant. It captures his feelings at that particular time and that's all that matters. Hindsight doesn't stop the songs being perfect

·
Registered
12,064 Posts
kimotrip said:

How he feels about it now is irrelevant. It captures his feelings at that particular time and that's all that matters. Hindsight doesn't stop the songs being perfect
All of this.

It's easy for 'Ye to look back on it now with the point he's at three years later and say he feels a certain way about it. At the time he made it that's what he was feeling.

·
Registered
12,878 Posts
He said it's still 80% of what he wanted it to be, just like his every album, so I don't get why the interview would ruin the album tbh
Plus he basically said that he only dislikes it because he felt it could've been stronger, but he didn't make it so as he felt the public would react badly to heavy experimentation, like Yeezus is for instance.
Doesn't change the quality of the music, which is amazing. Hope you still like it fam, shame to dislike a classic like MBDTF because of a small thing like that :cryfam:

·
Banned
85,044 Posts
kimotrip said:

he felt like that at the time

it was just a "please accept me back in your good graces again buy my album please"

yeezus is raw and is only for the open minded

·
Premium Member
13,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
MattM. said:
Hope you still like it fam, shame to dislike a classic like MBDTF because of a small thing like that :cryfam:
still like it but runaway lost some of its meaning to me

·
Registered
12,878 Posts
LPanthers said:
still like it but runaway lost some of its meaning to me
IMO, you can't make a song as impacting as Runaway without being completely honest. He felt 100% like that at the time, you can hear it in his voice and tone. I mean freaking Beyonce said that she saw that he got tears in his eyes while he was recording the vocoder solo. I don't think you can fake such emotions.
He just feels different about the album now, he's in a very different mindset, has a baby girl with a girl he loves, he's def changed a bit. But at that moment, he was 100% in it and that's all that matters to me tbh

·
Premium Member
13,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
MattM. said:
IMO, you can't make a song as impacting as Runaway without being completely honest. He felt 100% like that at the time, you can hear it in his voice and tone. I mean freaking Beyonce said that she saw that he got tears in his eyes while he was recording the vocoder solo. I don't think you can fake such emotions.
He just feels different about the album now, he's in a very different mindset, has a baby girl with a girl he loves, he's def changed a bit. But at that moment, he was 100% in it and that's all that matters to me tbh
youre ok in my book

·
Registered
19,895 Posts
He's just yapping. He knows damn well that was the GOAT album.

All he's saying is that he kind of made it to apologize to people who he doesn't give a fuck about. He loves the album, but he's basically apologizing to America when he doesn't have to.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
He clearly FELT all of the shit he emoted on that album, you can't fake shit like that
But in terms of what it was meant to accomplish, MBDTF was an attempt to show that, after everything that happened, he was still the greatest MC in the game
For that reason, it had to sound mainstream, it had to get a lot of radio spins in order to affect the largest part of the population
And in the mindset he's in, the mindset where he's popular enough to move 320k units with no rollout and is trying to innovate with new sounds and arrangements, he's maybe a little disappointed with that
Long story short, MBDTF was clearly from the heart, and clearly fantastic, but didn't really present anything revolutionary, just a recap of everything he'd done before

·
Registered
5,318 Posts
To be honest, it kind of confirmed a few of my initial critiques about the album. 

An album titled My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy --'MY' being the key word-- screams personal, genuine and candid, but I always felt like a lot of it came off as forced and contrived.  Adding too many little cheap studio tricks and a large cast was unnecessary when you release an album that is supposed to be essentially a SELF-analytical study (again, 'MY' is the key word); in other words, I want to hear more from the star of the show as the LP title suggests...not the extras.

With that being said, I remained true to my own belief that 808 was and still is his most personal, palpable and genuine project -- I'd argue convincingly against anyone that disagrees. 

·
Registered
143 Posts
Wake Up said:
he felt like that at the time

it was just a "please accept me back in your good graces again buy my album please"

yeezus is raw and is only for the open minded
Yeezus is raw, unfinished, and not that great. I'm as opened minded as can be, and Ye rushed this one and missed the mark.

And fuck what he thinks now... This is some ol' sour grapes shit... He killed that album and he knows it...

That's like Dre saying the Chronic was a weak mis-step in '99 knowing damn well he dropped a classic...

·
Banned
85,044 Posts
the_focused_one said:
Yeezus is raw, unfinished, and not that great. I'm as opened minded as can be, and Ye rushed this one and missed the mark.

And fuck what he thinks now... This is some ol' sour grapes shit... He killed that album and he knows it...

That's like Dre saying the Chronic was a weak mis-step in '99 knowing damn well he dropped a classic...
implying mbdtf is in the same league as the chronic

·
Registered
5,993 Posts
KodyWittaK said:
He's just yapping. He knows damn well that was the GOAT album.

All he's saying is that he kind of made it to apologize to people who he doesn't give a fuck about. He loves the album, but he's basically apologizing to America when he doesn't have to.
Exactly

1 - 20 of 26 Posts