Kanye to The banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
43,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The North Koreans have just launched the missile they promised not to launch. Clinton said UN would have to act if they reneged on launching the missile. Where is this missile going? What is the US going to do? Is this something to be taken as a grain of salt? Does this really mean anything? I really don't know much, which is why I'm asking the KTT fam.

Eyes glued to CNN as we speak.

U

·
0 Posts
Missile is supposed to land in the ocean to the right of the phillipines, iirc. It's just a test launch.

·
Registered
43,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why if it goes into orbit, the security threat will be heightened greatly? Especially if this will harmlessly hit the ocean near no populated places? No one wants this thing up there. I don't see the point of NK doing this if no one wants them to do it, if it causes threats, and if it's just a test rocket.

U

·
0 Posts
Even if it wasn't a test launch, from what I know, NK's missile capabilities and technologies are short/underdeveloped. I read the furthest they could shoot a missile is Japan, not sure if accurate.

·
Registered
43,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
CT said:
Even if it wasn't a test launch, from what I know, NK's missile capabilities and technologies are short/underdeveloped. I read the furthest they could shoot a missile is Japan, not sure if accurate.
It could easily hit China. The CNN analysts/reporters said it could easily hit Alaska/Hawaii.

U

·
0 Posts
Neil said:
It could easily hit China. The CNN analysts/reporters said it could easily hit Alaska/Hawaii.
Looks like you're right.

10. Could this missile reach the United States? Could it carry a nuclear weapon?

A ballistic missile based on the Unha rocket, in theory, would be able to deliver a 1,000 kg payload – large enough for some nuclear weapons – as far as Alaska, Hawaii, or part of the lower 48 states. That said, both of North Korea's previous launches in 2006 and 2009 failed, raising serious doubts about the reliability of the Unha. It is also worth mentioning that North Korea is taking several days to erect and fuel the missile. While fine for a space launch, such a long preparation time is undesirable for a military system. Although the Unha is clearly a step toward such a capability, it does not in itself represent a reliable system capable of delivering a nuclear weapon to the continental United States.

·
Banned
29,267 Posts
CT said:
Looks like you're right.

10. Could this missile reach the United States? Could it carry a nuclear weapon?

A ballistic missile based on the Unha rocket, in theory, would be able to deliver a 1,000 kg payload – large enough for some nuclear weapons – as far as Alaska, Hawaii, or part of the lower 48 states. That said, both of North Korea's previous launches in 2006 and 2009 failed, raising serious doubts about the reliability of the Unha. It is also worth mentioning that North Korea is taking several days to erect and fuel the missile. While fine for a space launch, such a long preparation time is undesirable for a military system. Although the Unha is clearly a step toward such a capability, it does not in itself represent a reliable system capable of delivering a nuclear weapon to the continental United States.
I live in VA thank god :slick:

1 - 20 of 86 Posts