Kanye to The banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
4,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm Mexican-American, look it too and have seen and experienced a minimal amount of racism. I'm from a town of about 100,000 people in New Jersey with a population that is about 90% white 3% black 5% latino and 2% Asian. With whites being the overwhelming majority, one would expect more racism against the minorities but I haven't seen any serious racism. I haven't seen anyone being called out or called racial slurs in public and I haven't seen anyone being bluntly discriminated against. I'm 22 and I've had just as much luck, if not more than my white friends when it comes to getting jobs, schooling, and police interactions. I've been all over Jersey and it's been more of the same in my experience so it's shocking when I see how many people believe there is some kind of systemic racism set up by white people keeping minorities down and I'm starting to think racism, at least the kind of racism that closes doors on life opportunities is really only a major issue in the south and/or west coast, I'm not sure.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
10,354 Posts
I'm ridin' through New York
Finna go and shoot New Jersey up
Tryna take my chain, I ain't goin'
We gon' come and blow New Jersey up

·
Registered
4,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
lil yzy vert said:
You cant be serious :dead:
I'm just speaking from personal experience bro. I've rarely if ever felt discriminated against when I've been surrounded by whites my whole life and I don't think it's a coincidence.

·
Registered
4,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OSS said:
i thought only orange people were native to NJ
Yeah there's mostly Italians but there's a decent amount of everything. There's a lot of black people in cities like Newark and Trenton and south Jersey where I live now.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Big Bean said:
I'm just speaking from personal experience bro. I've rarely if ever felt discriminated against when I've been surrounded by whites my whole life and I don't think it's a coincidence.
congrats.

·
Registered
25,743 Posts
Big Bean said:
Yeah there's mostly Italians but there's a decent amount of everything. There's a lot of black people in cities like Newark and Trenton and south Jersey where I live now.
word
i want to visit NJ one day
i feel like people talk so much shit about it but i dont buy that it could be that bad
need to see for myself

·
Registered
4,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OSS said:
word
i want to visit NJ one day
i feel like people talk so much shit about it but i dont buy that it could be that bad
need to see for myself
It's no paradise but I think it definitely catches too much flack. If you come visit, visit in the summer. We have some nice beaches and boardwalks. Bars/clubs get lit af then too

·
Registered
4,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Big Papi Nizzy said:
Northern Jersey not racist, just garbage

Lower Jersey mad racist
North jersey is garbage lol I'm from the shore so I can't speak on south jersey too much but I've been living here for almost a year now and have experienced more of the same.

·
Registered
4,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
KELYE said:
“there’s no racism”

“i’m speaking from personal experience”

:jordanlaff:
Lmao obviously not literally fam but I just thought my experience was interesting and wanted to share. Maybe get some opinions from other minorities from Jersey to see if it's something bigger than just my hometown.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts