Kanye to The banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wondering if any of y'all had seen this article on gender in music? Some really interesting stats in there...

Apparently Pop is the ONLY musical genre where women have charted above men since 2010. In every other genre, the stats show that there's a massive gender gap.

For example: despite the rise of female artists like Nicki Minaj, Cardi B, Rihanna, SZA, Beyonce, etc, female artists had just 5.98% of all hip hop songs in the Hot 100 Top 10 this decade. (If you think that's bad, then you don't want to see the stats on R&B)

Why y'all think this is? Is it bias within the industry, or do listeners just not fuck with female artists as much? Is it just a case of greater sheer quantity of male artists than female artists?

IDK if y'all remember last year when Rick Ross told The Breakfast Club that he'd never sign a female rapper to MMG because he'd "end up fucking", on account of how much money he'd spend on her promotion.

:ohnorth: :ohnorth: :ohnorth: :ohnorth:

What do you think?

Article: https://centralsauce.com/gender-diversity-music-charts

Registered
Turbo Sko said:
I like what I like. And I have no conspiracy to hold female artist back through my music choices
I think its more about you probably aren't exposed to as many female artists, and those female artists probably ain't getting the chance at that exposure or opportunity

Banned
DickerSpaniel said:
I think its more about you probably aren't exposed to as many female artists, and those female artists probably ain't getting the chance at that exposure or opportunity
well I have a hard time listening to female rappers that鈥檚 for sure. There鈥檚 like 3 or 4 females who I fuck with in the history of rap.

Registered
is it wrong that people prefer male artists?

none of my favorite artists are a female, although maybe id feel differently as a woman who knows

Registered
DickerSpaniel said:
why wouldnt they get the exposure or opportunity? At the end of the day sex sells and companies want to make the most money possible

Registered
Men objectively make better music

That being said shout out to

Lorde
Cardi B
Rihanna
Charli xcx
Ariana Grande
SZA
Kali Uchis
FKA Twigs
Sky Ferreira
Camila Cabello
etc

Keep doing y鈥檃ll thing :work:

Registered
mctate said:
is it wrong that people prefer male artists?

none of my favorite artists are a female, although maybe id feel differently as a woman who knows
outside of hip-hop most of my favorite artists are female like Fiona Apple and Joanna Newsom and Beyonce and shit. I just feel like hip-hop gets a bad rap bc of its roots it made it harder for female rappers to come up at the same time as the male ones, whereas if you're like a pop or country singer or someone I feel like there wasn't that much of a barrier prolly

1 - 20 of 68 Posts