Kanye to The banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Schools must now have a 4 year APR of 930 in order to compete in Football Bowl Games or the NCAA Tournament.

They are doing away with single year APR's that are really not a fair way to judge academic progress.

Schools of note that would not make the Cut with their current 4 year APR.....Syracuse and Ohio State University, all schools have time to increase it before actual punishments would take place.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
29,484 Posts
Ohio State in which sport?  Basketball?  They have some of the highest APR's among top 25 football teams year in and year out.  I haven't seen any sources indicate that basketball would have missed the cut either, at least not in last years tournament.  Probably should have mentioned that last year's national champ UConn wouldn't have even made it in the tourney under this new plan.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
29,484 Posts
Based_Vol said:
Academic standards are so fucking stupid.
I agree in the sense that programs just find ways around them.  They really deter athletes from taking real classes, instead taking classes that just keep them eligible and raise the program's APR.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BobbyJames said:
Ohio State in which sport?  Basketball?  They have some of the highest APR's among top 25 football teams year in and year out.  I haven't seen any sources indicate that basketball would have missed the cut either, at least not in last years tournament.  Probably should have mentioned that last year's national champ UConn wouldn't have even made it in the tourney under this new plan.
After looking it up the ESPN article was wrong, and you are most certainly right.  I think OSU has an APR of like 950 for basketball so I don't know what the hell they were thinking.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
29,484 Posts
Alex Trebek said:
After looking it up the ESPN article was wrong, and you are most certainly right.  I think OSU has an APR of like 950 for basketball so I don't know what the hell they were thinking.
Well, ESPN hates OSU so that's not at all surprising haha.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,392 Posts
BobbyJames said:
I agree in the sense that programs just find ways around them.  They really deter athletes from taking real classes, instead taking classes that just keep them eligible and raise the program's APR.
Alex Trebek said:
I personally think that holding these athletes to academic standards is ridiculous. They are not given academic scholarships, they are given athletic scholarships. They have an amazing opportunity to go to school for free, if they want to fuck that up then that's on them. I also think there should be no direct standard on someone's eligibility for a scholarship. Look at schools like Harvard, they admit celebrities who have nowhere near the marks to go to that school, but they admit them for the publicity and potential money that can be made. If a school wants to let a dumb ass in who has a 0.5 high school GPA then the NCAA should have no say in the matter.

-Signed a fan who has seen many athletes not qualify for school
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top