Kanye to The banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after watching the Lupe interview on Shade45, I could tell that Lupe wasn't so excited about this single, which I guess is kind of understandable since this is one of the singles that Atlantic had to be involved in.

But, in no means is this "selling out." For the people saying he sold out, you obviously don't know what selling out is, because Lupe's integrity, flow, and message are all still in tact. So what if his lyrics are not riddled with metaphors that you have to play over several times to understand? I think Lupe deserves to make one or a few even tracks like this after everything he's given us. And if this is what it takes to get Lasers, then whatever. The track is still a beast regardless.

·
Banned
1,037 Posts
DashEnder said:
But, in no means is this "selling out." For the people saying he sold out, you obviously don't know what selling out is, because Lupe's integrity, flow, and message are all still in tact. So what if his lyrics are not riddled with metaphors that you have to play over several times to understand? I think Lupe deserves to make one or a few even tracks like this after everything he's given us. And if this is what it takes to get Lasers, then whatever. The track is still a beast regardless.
PREACH BRUDAHHH

·
Registered
10,046 Posts
but this is just like a throwaway track to me. i mean how does this single match up to the first singles on his 2 previous albums? u got kick push thats a classic, then superstar an even bigger classic.

dont get me wrong i like the song but its just kinda plain and sue me if i expect more outta lupe. i just think maybe a song like stereo sun wouldve been better. but hey its just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
8,611 Posts
American Terrorist said:
but this is just like a throwaway track to me. i mean how does this single match up to the first singles on his 2 previous albums? u got kick push thats a classic, then superstar an even bigger classic.

dont get me wrong i like the song but its just kinda plain and sue me if i expect more outta lupe. i just think maybe a song like stereo sun wouldve been better. but hey its just my opinion.
It actually matches up amazingly with the other two.

Kick, Push is a storytelling song.

Superstar is a storytelling song.

Show Goes On is a story telling song.

The only difference is that Show Goes On tells a REAL story and explains a REAL situation. Not a fictional one. Because of that, it seems less lyrically complex because Lupe doesn't have to use metaphors to try to compare fictional events to a realistic comparison; All of the realism is already there, without having to go out of his way to get a point across.

Yeah, you won't get Kick, Push or Superstar on the first listen. But if you didn't know about Lupe's struggles, his fans actions, or the message he goes out of his way to put out now, would you understand what Show Goes On means from a lyrical perspective?

·
Banned
5,568 Posts
Doom said:

The only difference is that Show Goes On tells a REAL story and explains a REAL situation. Not a fictional one. Because of that, it seems less lyrically complex because Lupe doesn't have to use metaphors to try to compare fictional events to a realistic comparison; All of the realism is already there, without having to go out of his way to get a point across.

Yeah, you won't get Kick, Push or Superstar on the first listen. But if you didn't know about Lupe's struggles, his fans actions, or the message he goes out of his way to put out now, would you understand what Show Goes On means from a lyrical perspective?
Yea i agree tbh i liked the song and if you didnt thats cool but for those sayin he sold out na fuk that he didnt

·
Registered
56,642 Posts
Doom said:

I agree whole-heartedly.

W

·
0 Posts
Doom said:

Cosign.

·
Premium Member
8,611 Posts
AndrewG said:
No it's not.
Read the lyrics and try that one again.

If you can't see that it's about his struggle with his label, promoting how his fans acted in the face of it, and promoting his general positive view on life that he's been pushing for a while, I don't know how to help you.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Doom said:
Read the lyrics and try that one again.

If you can't see that it's about his struggle with his label, promoting how his fans acted in the face of it, and promoting his general positive view on life that he's been pushing for a while, I don't know how to help you.
That doesn't make it a story telling song haha. Who's the character? What's the plot? The Cool, He Say She Say, Hip Hop Saved My Life, Kick Push... Those are story telling songs.

·
Registered
10,046 Posts
Doom said:

i never said it wasnt a story telling song i just said its not a straight classic like the other two.

i can tell that song is probably from his perspective thats very easy to see, i just dont think its no where near as good as the other two.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
DashEnder said:
Well after watching the Lupe interview on Shade45, I could tell that Lupe wasn't so excited about this single, which I guess is kind of understandable since this is one of the singles that Atlantic had to be involved in.

agreed 100%

1 - 17 of 17 Posts