Kanye to The banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
59,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After pretty much listening to it all day today, My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy is definitely one of the contenders of Hip Hop Album of the year/ Album of the year ( but im afraid that Taylor Swift might swiftly get that.lol >_>) Anyway, the album as a whole gives it that Dark mood from the production of the album with Monster on there, but in my very honest opinion; Its not a classic that everyone gives it off as. Yes, your entitled to your opinion, and I respect that. But, lyrically and delivery wise, Kanye has slumped which is almost expected. As you obtain longevity in the game, it becomes somewhat harder to stay relevant. Jay-Z has been in the same situation since the release of BP3, likewise Eminem, etc.., but gettin back on topic. Ye has lost somewhat of his clever lyricism, and its expected, especially when your at that status in the industry. When you first come out, everything is FRESH, and you have so much to talk about. You've gone thru so much and you just can't wait to release it. But when ur at that superstar status, its hard to stay super relevant due to popularity of features, content demand in the industry, etc.. And its understandable because Kanye West gives us something new on every album, and he is indeed an innovator and someone who isn't afraid to go out of the norm which I greatly respect, but his lyrical delivery and content has fallen off and aren't as mindblowing or catchy. Now to get onto MBDTF

Production wise...it is simply AMAZING!! From beginning to end, and it really is all of his previous albums blended into one. From Graduation esque anthems such as Power and AOTL, to string symphonic beats such as Dark Fantasy and Runaway, to CD bangers such as Devil In A New Dress with the emotion and feel similar to 808s. Somehow some way, Kanye has tossed all of his platinum selling records into one. BUT, the thing that's missing is the abrasive lyricism (minus 808s) Kanye is known for the (IN YOUR FACE) blunt (I TOLD YOU SO) lyrics like Crack Music or Last Call, or his story telling pieces filled with emotion such as Hey Mama, and pretty much the entire 808s album. It seems that Kanye has seriously out grown his school themed style and adapted to a more grown approach to his music, which I respect none the less, but it might effect him in the long run, which again is normal for a superstar of his calibur. I'll provide a review track by track followed by this thread, but these are my thoughts summed up in to like 2 paragraphs, Anyone else feel the same way? And please, no bashing or trolling, pretty please with sugar on top. I want this to be a serious discussion and a real critique his album. :)

·
Registered
830 Posts
It's a classic. But it's not "THE GREATEST HIP HOP ALBUM OF THE DECADE" like many celebrities said it would be *cough* drake.

·
Registered
59,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mikeyzee said:
It's a classic. But it's not "THE GREATEST HIP HOP ALBUM OF THE DECADE" like many celebrities said it would be *cough* drake.
True, u can argue that about it actually being a classic, but not best album of the decade classic.

·
Registered
28,422 Posts
mikeyzee said:
The album Drake and company heard is completely different from what you got

·
Registered
593 Posts
i mean i think he has some real nice lyrics on this album. Like for instance Gorgeous, those verses blew me away and kinda showed me that he still can bring it lyrically. At times he lacks, but I feel like for the most part he brought some clever and meaningful lyrics. (Also the verse on Lost in the World is pretty nice as well)

·
Registered
59,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
tengo78 said:
i mean i think he has some real nice lyrics on this album. Like for instance Gorgeous, those verses blew me away and kinda showed me that he still can bring it lyrically. At times he lacks, but I feel like for the most part he brought some clever and meaningful lyrics. (Also the verse on Lost in the World is pretty nice as well)
Thats true, I somewhat agree, maybe its his delivery that has changed. :dno: I just know that something is different with his flow as a whole. Maybe its the G.O.O.D Friday tracks.

·
Registered
59,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
▲FlyMx said:
This is could be true. Maybe we haven't heard the album of its fullest potential.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Gizmo Esquire said:
True, u can argue that about it actually being a classic, but not best album of the decade classic.
How can we know this? If this is somebody's favourite album of the year or favourite hip hop album of the year, then it's their favourite of the decade so far automatically, no...?

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Porcelina said:
How can we know this? If this is somebody's favourite album of the year or favourite hip hop album of the year, then it's their favourite of the decade so far automatically, no...?
Maybe they're saying 2001-2010. Even then, I maybe would put it up there.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
DeusExMachina said:
Oh right. That would be 'the last ten years' rather than 'the decade,' I guess. I got confused by that.

·
Registered
59,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Porcelina said:
That is true, everyone is entitled to their own feelings or opinions of the album tho. Im not gonna bash anyone who thinks or says that it is tho, I respectfully disagree, but I respect his/her own opinion of it.

·
Registered
59,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
DeusExMachina said:
Right, and you also have to look at generation gaps too and different age groups, so your gonna get different views on it.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Gizmo Esquire said:
That is true, everyone is entitled to their own feelings or opinions of the album tho. Im not gonna bash anyone who thinks or says that it is tho, I respectfully disagree, but I respect his/her own opinion of it.
I just meant because it's the first year of the decade, but as has been pointed out Drake or whoever was probably referring to the last ten years rather than the new decade.

DeusExMachina said:
Don't some people think decades start on the 1's?
Probably, nobody I know though!

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Gizmo Esquire said:
Thats true, I somewhat agree, maybe its his delivery that has changed. :dno: I just know that something is different with his flow as a whole. Maybe its the G.O.O.D Friday tracks.
I would say that the reason why his flow sounds different to you now is because he is writing his lyrics down.  He said he just started doing that for this album, so naturally the flow will be different.

·
Registered
59,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Porcelina said:
I just meant because it's the first year of the decade, but as has been pointed out Drake or whoever was probably referring to the last ten years rather than the new decade.
Oh okay, trueness.

·
Registered
59,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
cardsfanjordan said:
I would say that the reason why his flow sounds different to you now is because he is writing his lyrics down.  He said he just started doing that for this album, so naturally the flow will be different.

Really???? wowwww, I had no idea. Yea that would definitely change his flow n stuff, I understand the differences between a written down verse and a verse off the top of the head, its more natural when its just a freestyle on a topic.

·
Registered
830 Posts
▲FlyMx said:
That doesnt make sense, so what we got was a different non-superawesomeamazingbesthiphopalbumever album? makes no sense.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Gizmo Esquire said:
Really???? wowwww, I had no idea. Yea that would definitely change his flow n stuff, I understand the differences between a written down verse and a verse off the top of the head, its more natural when its just a freestyle on a topic.
Yeah, I've noticed that since he started with this album, I don't memorize his raps as fast as I used to back on the other albums.  I think that's because he puts a lot more thought into them, so for whatever reason, they are not as "rememberable".....if that makes any sense.  Like if you listen to "See Me Know".....I had to listen to that song hundreds of times before the lyrics were ingrained into my brain, whereas usually Kanye's lyrics seem to "stick" to my brain only after 2 or 3 listens.

·
Registered
59,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
mikeyzee said:
That doesnt make sense, so what we got was a different non-superawesomeamazingbesthiphopalbumever album? makes no sense.
Its possible tho :dno:

1 - 20 of 68 Posts