Kanye to The banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So far, some of the things I'm bringing up haven't been mentioned on rap genius, but I think some of the verses in I Am a God are not being fully understood.

I am a god
Hurry up with my damn massage
Hurry up with my damn ménage
Get the Porsche out the damn garage
I am a God
So hurry up with my damn massage
In a French-ass restaurant
Hurry up with my damn croissants
On first glance these lyrics might seem boastful of the riches that fame, power, money and influence give.  They also speak of frustration though as well.  No matter what the "luxury" Kanye is given, it comes with problems.  Take for instance "Get the Porsche out the damn garage" and "In a French-ass restaurant, Hurry up with my damn croissants".  While it sounds like a man bragging, it is also a burden he has to live with.  He can't simply step into a normal French bakery to get a simple croissant quickly, or walk across the street easily to get his own luxury Porsche, instead he has to rely on others.  This is the burden his fame brings, which has overwhelmed him with paparazzi and fans around every corner wanting something from him.

In the first set of "I am a god, hurry up..." lines Kanye ends it with this...

I am a god
Even though I'm a man of God
My whole life in the hands of God
So y'all better quit playing with God
In this part he's first clearing up the fact that he realizes he's not God himself.  He does this in two parts of the song.  He is also saying to those against him, "yeah I'm frustrated with the problems power has brought me, but I do have the power and don't forget it".

He backs this up again later with...

I just talked to Jesus
He said, "What up Yeezus?"
I said, "Shit I'm chilling
Trying to stack these millions"
I know he the most high
But I am a close high
Mi casa es su casa
That's that cosa nostra
Again he's being playful here saying he realizes he's not God himself, but a God, and it does come with benefits.  He does it twice both is his silly manner...

I just talked to Jesus
He said, "What up Yeezus?"
I said, "Shit I'm chilling
Trying to stack these millions"
And then clearing it up for those who can't read between the lines..

I know he the most high
But I am a close high
And then finally backing up his, "I am a god, I have the power, don't forget it" with...

Mi casa es su casa
That's that cosa nostra
Essentially saying God's house is my house and then referencing the Sicilian Mafia.

HIs main verse in the song is pretty obvious and doesn't need much decoding, but the last line "Until the day I get struck by lightning" is basically his way of reiterating that he is a god, and so long as God himself is not offended, he will continue his ways.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fitz Boy said:
Think I might be right here.  I think thats the reason he went from demanding a high end luxury item like his porsche to a very simple item like a croissant.

·
Registered
43,852 Posts
"Take for instance "In a French-ass restaurant, Hurry up with my damn croissants".  While it sounds like a man bragging, it is also a burden he has to live with.  He can't simply step into a normal French bakery to get a simple croissant quickly, or walk across the street easily to get his own luxury Porsche, instead he has to rely on others.  This is the burden his fame brings, which has overwhelmed him with paparazzi and fans around every corner wanting something from him."

you're looking too much into a simple line

it's just a fun, satirical line. him saying "i am a god" and then contrasting it with "hurry up with my damn croissants" is funny. like fuck you, im a god, give me my croissants. he just wants his food, who cares. not all this other stuff about relying on others, having burdens, and everyone wanting something from him. although that is true, it's not a hidden meaning in this line.

G

·
An interesting and well put insight into the song.

I personally think it's just Kanye being humorous completely but also pissed off.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts