Kanye to The banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
funny I thought Pink Floyd the Wall was all over the place...great movie, but very hard to follow as well.

going back and watching it a second time after listening to kanye's interpretation made it much more enjoyable, even though I had no trouble following the story line in the first place.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
acp said:
funny I thought Pink Floyd the Wall was all over the place...great movie, but very hard to follow as well.

going back and watching it a second time after listening to kanye's interpretation made it much more enjoyable, even though I had no trouble following the story line in the first place.
Yea The Wall is all over the place but just like Runaway the visual aspects of it make up for that. I didn't have any trouble following the story but it just wasn't put together well in my opinion. For a project for my film class  I had clips of songs that acted as the dialogue and nobody understood what was going on. I think this is kind of similar to the movie. Also judging by Fb statuses it was "confusing" I didn't find it confusing but I could see why somebody would be confused.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
yes, I could see the confusion, but some of the best movies I've seen (inception, clockwork orange, pulp fiction -to name a few-) leave you feeling a sense of confusion, bewilderment or desire to learn more, so I don't think confusion is definitely a negative here. Like I said after hearing Kanye's interpretation of symbolism, idealism, phoenixes etc. it really opened my eyes to the level of detail and structure the film had.

I'm not sure I loved the movie as a movie, but this is also similar to my feelings about Eyes Wide Shut. Until I learned the hidden meanings or overall concept of that movie I really didn't appreciate it.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The movies you just named had incredibly carefully constructed screenplays by three of the greatest directors of all time. Not too mention Pulp Fiction & A Clockwork Orange had incredible dialogue. I think Runaway fairs better as an art film than a narrative film. Like he said in an interview he has no clue what he's doing and it shows. However when making an art film a great understanding for filmmaking isn't necessary. After watching Runaway for the 4th time, I enjoy it much more than the first veiweng, I still think it should've had a better director whose only experience isn't music videos. It's an eye opener for me too. No matter how great my concepts are if I don't shoot my inexperience will show. 

Oh & Eyes Wide Shut. I had to watch that two times in a row. Kubrick is the goat.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I was definitely not comparing the movies in terms of quality, just the "confusion" part of them. I think every film named as well as Runaway did not venture into complete disaster due to the confusion, they just required some deeper thinking to grasp the full vision.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts