Kanye to The banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
102,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
5 stars or 9/10

Track by Track Review

1. No Church In the Wild - 9/10 - Great opener to the album with Frank Ocean singing a great hook and Jay & Kanye getting it done on the verses. One of the many standout tracks on the album.

2. Lift Off - 7/10 - This was the track that Jay said would be the hit of the album, I can see why as Beyonce chorus about taking it to the stars is very infectious and gets stuck in your head. I am not a huge fan of the track though, I found the verses to be far too short.

3. Ni**as in Paris - 9.5/10 - My favourite off the album, the Hit-Boy production is impeccable and the Blades of Glory samples are very funny. Jay has the best verse in this song.

4. Otis - 8/10 - The Promo single for the album, the Otis Redding sample is used quite well, but Kanye could have lowered the volume during the verses as Otis' constant "Ma ma ma" can get annoying. Kanye takes this one.

5. Gotta Have It - 9/10 - The James Brown sample is used far better than the Otis sample in this Neptunes produced track. Kanye starts the track off with "LOLOLOLO White America, Assassinate my character". Hov takes this.

6. New Day - 9/10 - The RZA takes to the decks to create this very personal & reflective track sampling "Feelin' Good" by Nina Simone. Jay & Kanye both talk about their kids they will have in the future and how they will learn from their parents mistakes.

7. That's My B*tch - 9.5/10 - The first leaked track from the album, however, when it was leaked it was unfinished and Kanye still had to finish his verse. Great hook from Elly Jackson (of La Roux). Kanye has a hilarious verse.

8. Welcome to the Jungle - 7.5/10 - Swizz Beats has the production on this one. His adlibbing on the hook stops this being a great song. Great verse from Jay - "I look in the mirror, my only opponent".

9. Who Gon Stop Me - 9/10 - "I Can't Stop" by famous dubstep producers Flux Pavillion is sampled for this club banger with Kanye on the hook asking "Who Gon Stop Me Huh?!". Jay utterly destroys this track in his second verse.

10. Murder to Excellence - 9.5/10 - Kanye sings on the hook, with a desperate sounding " Paper Read Murder, Black on black murder". Both have good solid verses in the first part. After about 3 mins, the beat switches up to express the "Excellence" part of the song. Jay boasts about addressing the President and such.

11. Made in America - 7.5/10 - Solid album filler, Ocean's hook is very cheesy though. Kanye has a good verse.

12. Why I Love You - 9.5/10 - Sounds like a classic stadium anthem, with Hudson singing his heart out, "Oooh, I love you so, but why I love you, I'll never know". Jay owns this song due to his unbelievable wordplay and flow.

13. Illest Motherf*cker Alive - 8/10 - Begins with the oboe interlude that has appeared throughout the album. Great production from Kanye with the piano keys used perfectly

14. H*A*M - 6.5/10 - The worst song off the album. Kanye has a terrible verse. The Lex Luger beat is very average too. Jay has an OK verse.

15. Primetime - 8.5/10 - Good old school sample and Jay has an insane verse. Kanye is solid on this too.

16. The Joy - 8.5/10 - Originally one of Kanye's "GOOD Friday" joints. Great Curtis Mayfield "Makings of Joy" sample. Kanye has two great verses. Jay has a good verse too.

Overall, definitely the album of the year so far. Jay does body Kanye lyrically though.

Standout tracks- Ni**as in Paris, No Church in the Wild, New Day, That's My B*tch, Murder to Excellence & Why I Love You.

·
Premium Member
11,362 Posts
No Church and Murder to Excellence are better than ****** in Paris by far.  In fact, most if not all of the songs are.
I Reject your love for that song.  :sarc2: I would call it wack if the ending didn't save it.

G

·
Fans who pay attention on "who killed who" are the worst fans tbh. Kanye & Jay-Z weren't going at it at all, they were just trying to give us good music.
:cmon:

·
Premium Member
102,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Block said:
No Church and Murder to Excellence are better than ****** in Paris by far.  In fact, most if not all of the songs are.
I Reject your love for that song.  :sarc2: I would call it wack if the ending didn't save it.
I dont know why I love it haha, it seems to hit a nerve in my taste of music

·
Premium Member
62,523 Posts
Lol @ This Review

·
Premium Member
62,523 Posts
Lol @ This Review

·
Premium Member
102,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
UltraKid said:
Fans who pay attention on "who killed who" are the worst fans tbh. Kanye & Jay-Z weren't going at it at all, they were just trying to give us good music.
:cmon:
Something I cant help paying attention to tbh

·
Premium Member
62,523 Posts
1 - 20 of 52 Posts