Kanye to The banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Listen to both songs, it kinda sounds like Kanye was trying to use that type of flow, which of course wouldn't be surprising since he used so many of his lines already, but this one stood out to me as soon as I listened to My 1st Song just now

This is all I could find. It isn't the original song but the rapping is the same. It sounds more like GLC's verse IMO

Spaceship

The tempoes are different but still listen

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
My 1st song is pretty good but honestly I didn't notice any similarity to Spaceship and I have listened to both plenty of times.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Not quite the same flow.

My 1st Song is written in 6 / 8 time, so basically there are six beats per bar.

Spaceship is written in 3 / 4 time, so basically there are three beats per bar.

Although the two songs have a slighter similar feel, they are quite different. In essence, Kanye's flow in Spaceship has an emphasis on the 1st beat of the bar and Jay-Z's flow has an emphasis on the 1st and 4th beats in the bar.

Here are 8-bar lyrical examples that showcase the difference between the songs:

My 1st Song
Y'all wanna know why he don't stop /
Y'all wanna know why he don't flop /
Let me tell you people why /
Came from the bottom of the block I

Spaceship
If my manager /
Insults me again /
I will be /
assaulting him

Overall, My 1st Song is actually a bit more complex because Jay-Z's flow actually alternates between 3 / 4 time and 6 / 8 time and uses pauses for emphasis, which complicates rhythm counting.

For example, the lines "When I was born <silence> It was sworn <silence> / I was never gon' be shit" are complex to count because the 4th beat, which is normally an emphasis beat, is silent. And in the second line he emphasis all three words (gon', be, shit) which temporarily switches the feel from 6 / 8 to 3 / 4 in same way that Kanye emphasizes the three beats in "assaul ting him".[list type=decimal]
[*]
[*]
[/list]

·
Registered
7,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
tray said:
Not quite the same flow.

Although the two songs have a slighter similar feel, they are quite different. In essence, Kanye's flow in Spaceship has an emphasis on the 1st beat of the bar and Jay-Z's flow has an emphasis on the 1st and 4th beats in the bar.

My 1st Song
Spaceship
Overall, My 1st Song is actually a bit more complex because Jay-Z's flow actually alternates between 3 / 4 time and 6 / 8 time and uses pauses for emphasis, which complicates rhythm counting.

For example, the lines "When I was born <silence> It was sworn <silence> / I was never gon' be shit" are complex to count because the 4th beat, which is normally an emphasis beat, is silent. And in the second line he emphasis all three words (gon', be, shit) which temporarily switches the feel from 6 / 8 to 3 / 4 in same way that Kanye emphasizes the three beats in "assaul ting him".[list type=decimal]
[*]
[*]
[/list]

GOAT post. I learned alot here. I always mess up on the time sig thing. I quit formal piano lessons before we got into all that. I really need to learn them though. I always confuse the 4 and 8 counts

·
Premium Member
56,604 Posts
tray said:
Not quite the same flow.

My 1st Song
Y'all wanna know why he don't stop /
Y'all wanna know why he don't flop /
Let me tell you people why /
Came from the bottom of the block I

Spaceship
If my manager /
Insults me again /
I will be /
assaulting him

[*]
[*]
[/list]

Yeah.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts