Kanye to The banner

1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Banned
165,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I start this, I just want everyone to know that this is entirely my opinion and some of the albums I list will tick some people off. As opposed to my WOAT list, I didn't loosely make this list but took a lot of time thinking about the placement of the albums and I have finally come up with a list. I will include fully detailed explanations of the top 15.

Before I start, I would like to include honorable mentions, albums which I thought were amazing and had some great diversity but did not make the final cut.

Lyfe 268-192 - Lyfe Jennings

The Dark Knight OST - Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard

Funeral - Arcade Fire

Modal Music - Nujabes

2001 - Dr. Dre

30. Hometowns - The Rural Alberta Advantage

29. Dreaming out Loud - OneRepublic

28. Hell Hath no Fury - Clipse

27. St. Elsewhere - Gnarls Barkley

26. Only Built 4 Cuban Linx - Raekwon

25. Stadium Arcadium - Red Hot Chili Peppers

24. Game Theory - The Roots

23. ATLiens - Outkast

22. Future Sex/ Love Sounds - Justin Timberlake

21. Is This It? - The Strokes

20. My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy - Kanye West

19. Confessions - Usher

18. Born in the U.S.A. - Bruce Springsteen

17. Be - Common

16. Illadelph Halflife - The Roots

Mr. Yeezy said:
15. Kind of Blue - Miles Davis

One day as I was shopping for new earphones, I settled on the Monster Miles Davis Turbine Pro edition (which I ended up returning for the Coppers). However, when I got the earphones, it came with many Miles Davis albums, which I didn't pay much heed too. After a while though, I looked in the set and listened to a couple of the albums, not overly impressed as I was ignorant to the jazz genre. Then I chose to listen to Kind of Blue, an album that not only was my favorite Miles Davis album, but changed my entire perception of jazz. I begun to listen to a lot more jazz, including Coltrane, Ellington, and Evans. While I do have more of a collection of jazz, none of the albums compare to Kind of Blue. The melodies that were used in Kind of Blue were incredibly novel for its time and captured very strong emotions for instrumentals. Blue is a seemingly short album, with only 5 tracks, but the tracks are incredibly long and while it may seem like a turnoff, the songs feel like adventures that you can either be fully engaged in or just drift off too. It is also the only jazz album, where I feel incomplete if I dont listen to the entirety of it. I dont know if Miles Davis is the greatest jazz musician considering jazz is an incredibly deep genre full of talented musicians in different eras. Davis is clearly an astounding trumpet player and while Kind of Blue wouldn't be considered his best album, since he has many classics under his belt, Kind of Blue embodies a very modern sound of jazz and has the fullest sound of his albums in my opinion.
Mr. Yeezy said:
14. Food & LIquor - Lupe Fiasco

When this album came out, it certainly was a "breath of fresh air." For one of the first times, it suddenly became cool in rap to brag through your range of vocabulary and double/triple entendres. Lupe Fiasco not only showed why he is one of the greatest rappers in the game with this album, but that he isn't afraid to bring race, nerdiness, and darkness into it as well. People complain about the beats, but I find the beats to be absolutely incredible, most noticeably Pressure, Daydreamin, Kick Push, and Sunshine. The album makes it into my top 15 because it is a strong representation of everything I want in a rapper: Versatility, personality, great flow, and technicality. How crazy is it that Lupe can go from covering racial profiling and hate in American Terrorist to a song about robots which somehow relates to the cliches of the rap game in Daydreamin and then to a feel good love song in Sunshine? Lupe Fiasco went on to drop a great followup, but not as good and then dropping one of the biggest disappointments in rap history. There hasn't been a rapper since him with the hype and potential that he had, not even Kendrick Lamar in my opinion comes close to what Lupe's level was during this period. I will always have Lupe in my list of GOAT's even if he never drops a good album again, just because this and The Cool represent everything needed to be mentioned along side the GOAT's.
Mr. Yeezy said:
13. Reasonable Doubt - Jay-Z

My first Jay-Z album makes the top 30. However, it wasn't the first Jay-Z album I listened too. But it was the first 90s album I listened too which changed my perception of 90s hip hop. I was like the many users on KTT who think every 90s album is dusty, until I heard the vibrant production which really did an enjoyable job through the instrumentals. I found myself bobbing alongside to D'evils or Feelin' It. But while the production has aged well, the lyricism on the album is eternal. This is why so many people pronounce Jay-Z as the GOAT, he was primarily rapping like Lupe Fiasco except with a better flow and rhyme scheme. A lot of his songs are about his experience as a drug dealer, which makes for a typical 90s album, however it is the way he talks about it that makes this a revolutionary album. Clearly many people have already talked about this, so I dont want to get too deep into it. All I can say is that after listening to this album, most 90s albums which I was ignorant too started becoming enjoyable for me as well. This album would have been higher in the list if it got rid of Ain't No *****, since it taints the classic feel of this album. But that doesnt stop this album from being a must listen and from being one of the greatest rap albums of our time.
Mr. Yeezy said:
12. OK Computer - Radiohead

OK Computer is the first Radiohead album that really made people realize that Radiohead is going to go down as legendary. The album is probably their second most abstract of their discography, which really shows something considering the band is known for pushing the bar musically. These instrumentals are unique and beautiful as Yorke goes for a more lyrical performance, primarily in Paranoid Android and Karma Police. While Karma Police isn't a unique concept, I really loved the structuring of the lyrics. But what is perhaps the most chilling of the song is how Yorke isn't like most people when the touch the concept of corruption in that his reasoning for arresting the man and woman isn't considered as radical as it should be. It really shows how perhaps even the people who are against corruption have a certain line to draw. And this is just one example of a song, which, seemingly simple, is actually very complex lyrically and offers a very strong direction towards the album. OK Computer was the second Radiohead album I listened too and I fell in love with it instantly. It is truly a redefining experience of music and was a great prediction which would label Radiohead as one of the greatest acts in music.
Mr. Yeezy said:
11. Mos Def and Talib Kweli are Black Star - Black Star

This is probably the best duo in hip hop ever, on a technical aspect. And I am basing it off this album, because the chemistry and delivery of their lines surpasses any group, yes even Outkast. Some of the GOAT verses in hip hop will be found in this album, such as the famous Mos Def rap on Thieves in the Night. While Kweli isn't comparable to Mos Def, I felt Kweli held his own and spit at a level never before seen in his career. The same goes with Mos Def. While the beats are nice, they take a huge step back as Mos and Talib want the listener to know why they bought this album. While Mos Def and Kweli both have great albums in their discographies, nothing comes even close to this effort and its a shame that their next effort has been delayed indefinitely.
Mr. Yeezy said:
10. Demon Days - Gorillaz

Gorillaz is a group I found out about after listening to Lupe Fiasco freestyle to the beat of Feel Good, Inc. There is something special about Demon Days that always has me coming back to it as my favorite Gorillaz release. Gorillaz truly go all out for this album in every way. They are able to get people like De la Soul and MF Doom, who spits one of my favorite raps ever on November has Come. While there is no concept in Demon Days lyrically, every song manages to talk about some diverse topic. The production which is co produced by a legend, Danger Mouse, is the key element of this album and helps create the atmosphere of the topics covered in every song. Gorillaz proved with this album that they aren't a gimmick, simply because they released one of the greatest albums of all time, with a star studded cast of people (MF Doom, De La Soul, Danger Mouse, and Shaun Ryder), unique style of music, and classic tracks like Feel Good, Inc. and Dare.
Mr. Yeezy said:
9. Aquemini - Outkast

What more can be said about Outkast? They are probably the only group in hip hop to enjoy commercial success while still sticking true to their roots and displaying some of the best raps ever in hip hop. The only rappers/groups who have a discography as astounding as Kast is Kanye and The Roots. Aquemini is basically ATLiens with slightly less lyrical wordplay and a lot more effort put in the production side. The production of this album is just crazy and I also love how they can switch their style up going from a r&b approach in Liberation to the lyrical murder displayed in Return of the G. Andre 3K and Big Boi are still going all out and showing us why they are one of the best duos in hip hop.
Mr. Yeezy said:
8. Discovery - Daft Punk

This album is just some techno banger nostalgia front to back. Whether you get hyped from the beat drop in One More Time or sing along to the addicting Face to Face, this album has everything needed for being an electronic classic. Daft Punk truly made a classic right here, and in my opinion, their only classic. Now they are a lot bigger, as they produced one of the best scores of 2011 with Tron. But during this time, Daft Punk went for some great electronic/house beats and a brilliant use of sampling. For me, this album makes you remember how great life can be as it fills the chambers of your heart with the thumping vibrant beats.
Mr. Yeezy said:
7. Illmatic - Nas

The greatest rap album of all time. It doesnt matter if you hate this album, find it extremely overrated, or, like me, dont have it listed as your favorite rap album of all time. This album has been given and respectfully earned the title from many critics and listeners alike. Nas basically invents his own language in this album as he paints you an image of the 90s NY ghettos that no rapper has even been close to describing. It doesnt matter whether or not you've ever lived his life, because he takes you through the gunfights, drug game, and chilling that he did himself. Whether you're laying down chilling to Memory Lane or getting goosebumps as Nas scares the living shit out of you with the intro the NY State of Mind, you are sucking into the narrative. And that is just the storytelling/imagery, the wordplay is another monster. They could honestly teach a class on all the hidden metaphors and analysis that Nas covers in his 40 minute narrative, which is detailed enough to be as extensive as a 3 hour gangster drama. And then there is the star studded production cast. How many albums have the reputation of having 3 of the greatest hip hop producers, Premier, Tip, and Pete Rock, in it? And they do not disappoint. Infact, they outdo themselves. The World is Yours is definitely a top 15 hip hop beat for Pete Rock, just like N.Y. State of Mind is a top 15 hip hop beat from Premier. The reason why I dont have this album higher is simply because it doesnt relate to me as well, but the way Nas brought his story, it was almost like you were born in the same hospital bed as him and spent every day with him throughout his life.
Mr. Yeezy said:
6. College Dropout - Kanye West

In 2004, when I was in elementary school, we were all given a Time magazine to read aloud in class. One of the big headlines on the magazine was about the revolutionary hip hop song, "Jesus Walks" and how it has recreated a sense of culture in the hip hop genre. The song went on to get a SOTY nomination and win best hip hop song. College Dropout was truly a masterpiece in many ways, perhaps the biggest in its production. The idea of sampling was always popular, but the idea of sampling soul tracks wasn't as popular. It really influenced the sound of hip hop, but even bigger than the production was the novel persona in Kanye West. He rapped about personal subjects, sometimes a little too personal. For example, after his near fatal car crash, he decided to rap with his mouth wired shut talking about everything going on in his life. Last Call is 12 minutes of Kanye telling us how he got his record deal, in detail. No rapper has EVER made a song devoted to Jesus or devoted to getting a record deal. Sure there are references, but Kanye took it a step further. With this album, Kanye proved that although he will never be considered one of the best rappers ever, he is one of the most passionate/ emotional rappers of all time. His production is incredible as well. And with the help of great rappers like Mos Def, Freeway, and Kweli, Kanye more than makes up for the rapping (which he does pretty well in). While Kanye has went on to make albums that are astounding and in some ways even better than College Dropout, they all lack the level of soul, passion, and sense of revolution and timelessness that this album brought to the world. It was the first hip hop album I ever listened to and to this day, I still always remember to bump some old school Yeezy.
TOP 5!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Hybrid Theory - Linkin Park

I always thought of a persons taste in music as a pedigree. Every new artist comes from another new artist. For me, I found Gorillaz through Lupe, who I found out through Kanye who was an artist I grew to love. Hybrid Theory, for me, was the album that has spawned my entire interest in music. It was the first album I ever listened too and as a young man, the album really spoke to me. Linkin Park boasts high energy vocals through the magical and astounding Chester Bennington, who seems to be perhaps one of the greatest vocalists to ever walk this world. Seriously, what can't he do? He has an incredibly wide vocal range, hitting notes in his head voice that people couldn't even think of doing unless they went all out falsetto. He is an amazing screamer, as it is intense and long lasting. Wow... I only described one member. That clearly shows the depth of this band. Yes the songs are structured, for the most part, in 3-4 minute songs with the same idea: Rap, chorus, rap chorus, short bridge from Chester, and chorus to end it all. However, some songs go away from the norm, such as Papercut, Forgotten, High Voltage, and My December. Their lyricism comes off as incredibly general, yet emotionally spoken which can relate to many events in your life. Shinoda not only raps, co produces, and writes the music, but he even drew the album art! I feel that Shinoda is incredibly underrated as a rapper, clearly proven in High Voltage, where the band decides to let him have his moment as he dominates the beat for a good 2-3 minutes. So all that it amounts to is if this album is a classic. It is an influential album, but when you think about it, this album influences a style that inhabits the godawful bands that are Limp Bizkit and P.O.D., so I wouldn't say thats the reason. Yes the album is critically acclaimed, although not excellently. So in the end, there is no way to say this album is a classic, unless you're just simply a Linkin Park fan who grew up with them. They are the only successful band to fuse rap with rock and make the end result pretty damn good. LP would later avoid their formula to make hit and miss albums (which I enjoyed anyway), nothing of which amounts to the emotion and passion of this album.

4. The Low End Theory - A Tribe Called Quest

Simply my favorite rap album of the 90s. It isn't just the mellow, jazzy production or the "I dont give a fuck" attitude of Q-Tip and Phife or even that beautiful album art, but its the feel of the album. The album just sounds so cool and swagged out that you can just listen to the album anytime, anywhere and just feel on top of the world. Whether its the groovy bass in "Excursions" or the catchy hook exchange between Tip and Phife in "Check the Rhime", its just mind-blowing music really. This album is a testament that you dont need to have Illmatic level lyrics to be a standalone of the 90s. And the chill atmosphere and production is what puts this album over Illmatic for me.

3. Dark Side of the Moon

First off, this album is incredibly ahead of its time. I would have believed it if people told me this album came out in the 2000s, just because of how clean the sound is. If you dont believe me, listen to "On the Run". The blending of the futuristic sounds and drums is just masterful. The subject matter of this album is what was typical of 70s rock bands: Greed, confusion, and the idea that the nation has become messed up. However, the fact that the band is singing for about 30% of the time, shows a more creepy and unknown side to what they are talking about. And a huge concept in the album is the passage of time. perhaps even more crazy, is the build up of the songs, lingering toward the level of insanity. Every song on this album is a classic and flawless, especially Money which is arguably the centerpiece of the album. The use of different instruments in rock music was also very unique for its time, especially using a saxophone. Basically, this is one of the greatest albums of all time and only further showcases the insanity and perfectionist-esque state of Pink Floyd.
2. Kid A - Radiohead

Easily the most haunting album of all time. So much blurred by experimentation and confusion, Kid A stands as the biggest mistake of Radiohead's career (in a good way). Thom Yorke will tell you that this album is a mess, both sonically and lyrically. He will also slap you in the face for making him remember the time he had writers block and had nightmares constantly. I always believed that when an artist is lingering between the level of insanity and the real world, their greatest ideas are formed. I can talk about the fact that this is the most experimental album of all time, using techno synthesizers to saxophones to heavily diluted pianos. I can talk about how effective the blurring of vocals are. But I want to talk about what makes this album so great for me: How it supposedly makes no sense. This is supposed to be a concept album, except not even Yorke knows what the album would be about. (he did suggest clone :joe: ) This has driven analysts to insanity trying to figure out this album, its basically the Bermuda Triangle of music. And this is why this album is so perfect for me: It leads me to think up my own meaning, or say, fuck it, and become absorbed in its mysterious and orgasmic environment of music slowly grabbing me in a wave of terror and happiness.

1. Madvillainy - Madvillain

MF DOOM is a top 10 lyricist in my opinion and Madlib is arguably a top 3 hip hop producer. These aren't the reasons why they are the best duo in hip hop in my opinion, its the chemistry. What makes this album even more astounding is how you can tell that this album wasn't very ambitious, it was all fun and games for both, who just did their thing. While doing their thing, Madlib makes some of the best beats of his career with Raid, All Caps, and Fancy Clown. DOOM spits some of his greatest rhymes with Rhinestone Cowboy and Accordion. The album isn't meant to be emotional in any way, its a feel good album mixed in with some good old school sounding braggadocio. My favorite opening lines to any song is on this album when DOOM spits, "So nasty thats its prolly somewhat of a travesty, having me and then he told the people to call me your majesty". WOW. Look at that delivery and rhyme scheme. These 2 reasons are why I love DOOM so much, even more so the fact that his rapping doesnt involve riding the beat, but rather being a part of it. And this is what makes this album so great: DOOM doing him and letting Madlib's production show his versatility. This is what many duo rapper/producer combo albums dont have: The fact that the rapper has to ride the beat and just murk it, but he doesnt show us why the beat is so special. Or at least as special as DOOM is able to make it sound. Lyrically, its one of the best rap albums and production wise, its one of the best as well. What puts this over every album for me is the chemistry. You will never find it as powerful in any other hip hop duo.

·
Banned
165,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
NeedleDrop said:
It is an astounding album yet i just feel it wasnt as well done or as personal to me as the top 30 that i have. Unfortunately im going out right now so wont be able to get to it till later tonight.

·
Registered
38,769 Posts
Mr. Yeezy said:
It is an astounding album yet i just feel it wasnt as well done or as personal to me as the top 30 that i have. Unfortunately im going out right now so wont be able to get to it till later tonight.
Idk I guess the album just isn't for me tbh

·
Banned
165,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ezcombat said:
post the rest of the list
Bout to go sleep tbh. But i will do 20-16 tmrw and possibly start writeups. Kinda just wanted to know what ppl thought so far

1 - 20 of 129 Posts