Kanye to The banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinkin about getting an mpc for christmas. give me tips and ideas of which (affordable) one i should get

:work:

·
Premium Member
20,248 Posts
guitar center has some midi input and drum machines. i think they have recent mpc's but not like kanyes mpc 2000

·
Premium Member
19,871 Posts
in all honesty, i'd advise you to get a laptop + drum pads + controller + mixer = everything you need. it'll probably come out to less than an mpc anyways. don't tell me you just want one because of Kanye? you seriously don't know where to find one besides amazon? are you even a musician??

·
Registered
19,931 Posts
1st - did you ever produced some beats on a DAW? If not then don't spend money on a MPC. You'll be doing the same thing that those people that buy a telescope without even knowing wtf is a polar star and have no clue of what star they're looking at. You will be buying a music equipment with no knowledge at all and you have huge chances of getting frustrated.

2nd - if you ever produced before then you got to see if the MPC is the best option for you. I see the MPC as being a great equipment for people that sample from vinyl. If you sample from mp3, your best option is getting some usb controller with pads (there's good akai ones if you want to stick with akai pads) that is cheaper than the MPC.

·
Registered
14 Posts
the MPC 500 isn't bad at all, especially for beginners.  wait for any random holiday for guitar center to have a sale. or go on musician's friend. 

hi pete.

·
Registered
428 Posts
singleleaf said:
Damn, so much hate.
i honestly see no hate.
being straight up > carelessness that could lead to someone misspending their money
pretty good advice in here imo

i don't think i'd advise anyone to jump right into the mpc...
these days there are cheaper and more suitable options out there
production software is easy to get  :)twisted:)
and it's pretty underrated i think...i think i can do anything i want as far as sampling in FL  :dno:
just weigh out all the options
for example: will you be primarily sampling? don't just trigger drums with a pricey machine

·
Registered
14 Posts
crackadon said:
laptop + drum pads + controller + mixer = everything you need. it'll probably come out to less than an mpc anyways.
Laptop $800
Midi Controller $300
Firewire Mixer $300
total: $1,400
MPC 500= $500

that being said, you obviously have access to a computer, and you may not need a mixer, but you will need software.  Also MPC's can be a headache for a beginner, they are not intuitive.  Like The81Slouch said, mpcs are handy for working with vinyl, but you can also load .wav files onto them from a computer.  If you get the chance get to know what mpcs are all about before you buy one.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I'm thinking on getting an mpc too, but not quite know how to use it. I was wondering if it was similar to beatmAker for iPhone. Any tips? I'm really into music and beatmaking. I'm only 16 any  help

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
I actually have an MPD24 for sale for $120...yeah It's just a controller. but it can be used with any software...Reason, Logic, fruitloops, anything

·
Banned
2,298 Posts
I had a discussion with some colleagues of mine on the subject of the MPC and how it will most likely die out with in this decade.  It's sad but seemingly true.  :work:

·
Registered
14 Posts
PrinceJane said:
die out with in this decade.
it will most likely be phased out of large scale top 40 type productions, but there will be a place for the MPC for decades to come.  People will continue to use it because of the way it has shaped hip hop, look at the SP-1200

Kanye#1 said:
not quite know how to use it. I was wondering if it was similar to beatmAker for iPhone.
I have never used beatmAker, im guessing they are nothing like eachother.  MPC's can be confusing for a beginner and they don't rely heavily on a graphical interface. 

·
Banned
29,039 Posts
The81Slouch said:
1st - did you ever produced some beats on a DAW? If not then don't spend money on a MPC. You'll be doing the same thing that those people that buy a telescope without even knowing wtf is a polar star and have no clue of what star they're looking at. You will be buying a music equipment with no knowledge at all and you have huge chances of getting frustrated.

2nd - if you ever produced before then you got to see if the MPC is the best option for you. I see the MPC as being a great equipment for people that sample from vinyl. If you sample from mp3, your best option is getting some usb controller with pads (there's good akai ones if you want to stick with akai pads) that is cheaper than the MPC.
what kind of control does the akai MPK (keyboard and pads midi/usb controller) have to offer if you use it with programs like FL Studio?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts