Kanye to The banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After having listened through this album all weekend, high, drunk, sober, all of it, my conclusion, track by track, is as follows. I'ma rate each track like I rate women.  5 - Meh, 6 - Deece, 7 - Good, 8 - Great, 9 - Fantastic, 10 - Perfect

SM vs TW - The opener, a lot of cats be hyped on this shit, it seems like, but it's personally one of my least favorites.  I don't like Cee-Lo on the hook, the beat is decent, but it doesn't stand out to me, except for the strings and additions to the base beat.  I might need time to grow to like Cudder's verses in this one too...just an alright track imo. 6/10 

Rev of Ev - Leak ruined it for me, probably, this song is old to me by now, never liked it extraordinarily much, another decent.  The "I'm happy today, this not like other days, somehow I feel okay, somehow I feel okay" part is really what makes it worthwhile. Meh. 5/10 

Don't Play This Song - More great strings on top of a mediocre beat.  The hook is underwhelming, but Cudi's verses are dope. 7/10

We Aite -  Reeeeally dig the vibe of this song, especially the transition from DPTS in the beginning.  For an interlude, it's great, def better than In My Dreams, imo.  Just an interlude, though.

Marijuana - Classic Dot production, which is beastly as always.  Catchy ass, spacey hook is great, Cudi's one verse will be the shit once I can rap with it, and the chorus of female voices is dope as FUCK! Just a dope ass song for a dope ass herb!  Only thing I'm not a fan of is the guitar in the back, but it doesn't really detract. Aaaaand 4:20.  8/10

Mojo So Dope - Always liked this joint, I really vibe with Cudi's flow and verses here, as well as the sample (God I thought I loved you so!) The hook is reeeal catchy and unlike Rev of Ev, this song is replayable.  7.5/10

Ashin Kusher - Fuck.  One of the dopest Cudder tracks, one of my faves on this album, for sure.  His rapping here is so fucking on point, in my opinion.  The hook and song in general is high energy, and just makes me feel good as shit.  We in this bitch, 'LAXIN!  Then he goes off the top and kills the end, "Ay, we be around, fam, I'm in the clouds!" 9/10

Erase Me - This shit's the better Maker Her Say of this record.  Real catchy, real experimental, could do without Ye's verse though, kinda shitty.  Old joint, so I'ma keep it short 7/10

Wild'n Cuz I'm Young - Dark ass trippy beat is good shit.  Glad Kanye was scrapped (even though I liked his verse) for a new Cudi verse.  Honestly, I just like this song, fun to rap with, hook is meh, but that's alright because in the grand scheme of this song, it fits. 7/10

The Mood - "Yup!" Similar to Wild'n with a dark ass beat.  Love the laugh and shit, sounds sadistic and trippy, and fits perfectly with the MOOD of the song ( :problem?: ) Enjoy the verses, enjoy the echo-ey hook, another good record that fits with the dark theme of the album.  Just good though. 7/10

MANIAC - The only problem with this song is length, and/or the fact that Cudi only has one short verse.  Dope ass song with a memorable sample.  There's also some weird effect layered over Cudi's vocals that add a weird staticky sharpness that I really dig (y'all notice that?).  Song is only brought down the by meh hook and the lack of Cudi.  Cage is ill.  Had great potential, but another 7/10

Mr. Rager - The anthem!  This shit shines, and I sorta wish it never leaked.  I remember bumping this shit off Cudder's bape performance in my car, it was that good.  Still get excited when this track shuffles up on my iPod...just a classic Cudi joint with an ill beat and an emotional, inspiring hook.  Verses are great, this shit is top notch.  The added strings are ballin, too. Top 10 status. 9/10

These Worries - Another banger, shit goes hard.  The coke sniff adds a lot in my opinion, Cudi's verses are ill, the hook also.  Mary J. is a worthy feature, she does her thing.  LOVE the line "Love is like that, beat me up and I fight right back, poof poof begone..." accompanyed with that part of the production could make a muhfucka tear up (fuck off SideWays).  Shit's PROPER!  9/10

The End - I'm still not sure how I feel about this.  It needs some time to ferment for me, I think.  GLC is eh, Chip is Chip, and I think I like Cudi's verse, haha.  An alright song, I suppose, nothing special though.  6/10

All Along - Dope!  Like the whole joint, all the way through, hook and verses all.  This shit gets stuck in my head easy as sex, just more Cudi singing on point.  If this is the direction he's heading, I'm all for it.  8/10

GHOST! - Lol, I still can't decide which side I'm taking on this song either.  I WANT to like it, and I hear parts of it that i really like, but the WAHHH, WAHHHHHHH where Scotty's trying to sound like a guitar wail does not pan out.  Tryna get into the verses, but he's a little too mumbly and the beat is a tad annoying.  I do like the hook though.  Seems like a reeeeal experimental record, skippable track though. 6.5/10

Trapped in My Mind - Stop it, Dot! You're too dope!  Ha, this shit bangs, is a great closer.  Don't mind the effect on Cudder's voice either, I kinda like it actually.  Catchy as shit, unsurprisingly, and the end is memorable.  I like his african sound at the end, if anyone else got that vibe.  A fitting closer to a versatile album, but juuuust lacks the oomph to make it spectacular. 8.5/10 

And that's my feelings!  I feel like I've got a good representation here of how a lot of people feel.  I'm still torn whether I like EoD or this better, but I think EoD just slightly outdoes this.  PoH, Cudi Zone, S2ML, Alive, Sky Might Fall, Heart of a Lion, Day N Nite...hard to fuck with.  Don't get me wrong though, I highly enjoy this album and I'm excited as fuck now for Wizard.  Jus keep making dope music, Cudi.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Very good review. I agree with pretty much all of your ratings except Scott Mescudi Vs The World And Ghost!. Which i think are the two best songs on the album :D Ghost seems to be splitting peoples opinion though

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mr Rager said:
Very good review. I agree with pretty much all of your ratings except Scott Mescudi Vs The World And Ghost!. Which i think are the two best songs on the album :D Ghost seems to be splitting peoples opinion though
Thanks bro! Yeeeah Ghost is a toss up, and SMvTW just...didn't do it for me  :dno:

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jville54 said:
Its hard to agree with this when you rate SMvTW so low...that was like my favorite track from the cd.
So say a lot of people...I dunno man, it just doesn't impress me.  I don't see how you can like that record more than These Worries for example

·
Registered
292 Posts
I mostly agree with the review although i thought The End would prob be like 7.5 or 8 because it has such a classic hip hop feel to it.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Morc said:
I mostly agree with the review although i thought The End would prob be like 7.5 or 8 because it has such a classic hip hop feel to it.
The End is a good track, but it doesnt feel like cudi... my least fave on the album :/

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I agree with your review more than any other man. COngrats
Only thing I dont agree with is you bashing my dude Sideways lol

But other than that... I completely agree.
I feel like I'm the only person who doesnt rly like SMvs.The World all that much but LOVES 'We Aite'.
And Trapped in my mind is that shit.

·
Premium Member
122,085 Posts
the chorus in marijuana is cudders voice lol, not a bunch of females

but i agree on about half your ratings.  scott mescudi vs the world is a DOPE track though and a great opener.  the in my dreams bit in the beginning gave me chills the first time i listened to his album.  id put the mood and maniac a bit higher too.

your like the only person that actually enjoys listening to wild'n lol

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
itzdatNewNew said:
the chorus in marijuana is cudders voice lol, not a bunch of females
Nah man I'm talkin bout the chorus of females that kicks in at 1:35. 

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
SideWays408 said:
Why you telling me to FUCK OFF in the these worries review??
:problem?:
CUZ I BAWLED UNCONTROLLABLY! UPON HEARING EACH AND EVERY SONG, SOBS SHOOK MY BEING BECAUSE I WAS TRIPPING BALLS ON ACID AND METH

1 - 12 of 12 Posts