Kanye to The banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just remembered back over the summer when we were still toying with the title of "Good Ass Job" (honestly, I am really glad that's not the title), a lot of people were saying that the 5th album would be the fourth album that completed the tetralogy that started with College Dropout. Originally he was going to release this back in 2008/2009, but we got 808s instead (which was wonderful). I just feel like based on what we know about this album, it is a far cry from the "College series". Maybe I'm wrong. But I think at this point I am comfortable with calling the first three albums the trilogy. He dropped out, registered late, and finally graduated. Perfect. But as far as Power and Runaway are concerned, they just seem like far cries from the theme of the original trilogy.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
25,743 Posts
I think Graduation was an appropriate end to that series of albums. Everything from this point on should be separate.

·
Registered
352 Posts
i remember people were saying this album was going to be like oldschool raw hip hop...this is the furthest thing from it...

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
staterun said:
i remember people were saying this album was going to be like oldschool raw hip hop...this is the furthest thing from it...
Oh yeah I completely forgot about that, wtf were those guys hearing?

·
Registered
59,974 Posts
Timesitheus said:
I just remembered back over the summer when we were still toying with the title of "Good Ass Job" (honestly, I am really glad that's not the title), a lot of people were saying that the 5th album would be the fourth album that completed the tetralogy that started with College Dropout. Originally he was going to release this back in 2008/2009, but we got 808s instead (which was wonderful). I just feel like based on what we know about this album, it is a far cry from the "College series". Maybe I'm wrong. But I think at this point I am comfortable with calling the first three albums the trilogy. He dropped out, registered late, and finally graduated. Perfect. But as far as Power and Runaway are concerned, they just seem like far cries from the theme of the original trilogy.

Thoughts?
I can agree to this. At first, I thought it was like that as well, but after listening to it all day its in its own lane to be honest. Maybe he might start another trilogy or trend to keep the fans interested. Its possible.

·
Registered
59,974 Posts
staterun said:
I was the one of those people that said that tbh, and its the complete opposite of what I thought it was gonna be.

·
Registered
66 Posts
staterun said:
thats so true.....but this is something fresh which i dont mind at all. Kanye changing the way hip hop/rap is viewed...creating new boundaries...shits just crazy i dont even know what to say lol

·
Registered
866 Posts
it's either in Dark Fantasy or Gorgeous where he says something to the extent of "school's over, now this is real life."  I can't remember the specific line but it was something to that extent and really kept the continuity for me.  It's the same kanye, but life just got in the way.

·
Registered
45 Posts
staterun said:
The only reason i could think that is maybe that So Appalled and Monster were two of the first tracks he recorded? Who knows though. I'd much rather have this album then old school hip hop

·
Premium Member
39,122 Posts
not all artists can follow a theme for the rest of their careers...look at Sufjan Stevens (50 states project)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts