Kanye to The banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not bad for a song that was just released, not supposed to be a single or anything.

So are they calling this a single now or what?

Cuz I don't want it to be a single, just a song thats doing well by Drake, I still want Headlines soon.

·
Premium Member
41,098 Posts
Whoever thought it was a good idea to put this out as a half assed single was money hungry and dumb as fuckkkk tbh :facepalm2:

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Derz said:
Whoever thought it was a good idea to put this out as a half assed single was money hungry and dumb as fuckkkk tbh :facepalm2:
You just described every major label. But Drake aint on a major.

He just put it on itunes, you can't blame him if he just put out a song and it happened to blow up.

·
Premium Member
41,098 Posts
2Trill said:
You just described every major label. But Drake aint on a major.

He just put it on itunes, you can't blame him if he just put out a song and it happened to blow up.
Really?  I thought someone in a label or something decided to put up.  It wouldn't make much sense for Drake to put it on Itunes himself cause he already released it for free, right? :mindfk:

I just think, if he's gonna put out a song that's meant to be a single (Headlines), he should focus all the attention on that song alone :work:

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Derz said:
Really?  I thought someone in a label or something decided to put up.  It wouldn't make much sense for Drake to put it on Itunes himself cause he already released it for free, right? :mindfk:

I just think, if he's gonna put out a song that's meant to be a single (Headlines), he should focus all the attention on that song alone :work:
Well he's on the YMCMB label, im not sure how the whole thing works.

And i dont know who's idea it was to put it on itunes, but maybe Drake say the response it was getting and thought it was a good idea to put it out there, make a little money off of it and get it some radio play.

I think it will do good on the charts for not being a single, I say anything in top 50 is good for a song thats not a single.

My only problem is I feel like this will delay Headlines cuz they won't want to take away from the buzz Marvin's Room is starting to get.

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MajorLazer said:
It's not going to go much further after this debut, will it?
Its doing well on itunes, and I'm back home in my little town for the summer with no rap or urban radio, so I have no idea how it is doing on radio. I think it will crack the top 50.

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
As I've posted elsewhere, "Marvin's Room" was the most added song this week on radio beating "Otis" even (per Source magazine). And couple that with how well it's doing on itunes and it's not hard to understand why "Headlines" was pushed back a bit.

And yes, I think it was the label that wanted this released to itunes.  Drake gave the song away free and the label wasn't happy about that and took his free songs off his own blog. Just because he signed a good contract, one that's better than many new artists, doesn't mean he can just do whatever..
After a major summer hit and 3 free tracks (one that exploded), I'm not sure it's a bad thing for Drake to slow his roll and savor the success of "Marvin's Room" a bit. 

#68 debut is good. It's #23 on the R&B/Hip Hop charts, up from #35... (I'm On One is back at #1 on Billboard's R&B/Hip Hop charts btw...it's 3rd week).

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
Young Angel said:
#68 is pretty good for a song that was released for free two months ago.

:dno:
exactly. I think they'll just let it ride it out as the "teaser" track for the official single....no harm in that.

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ThatChick said:
exactly. I think they'll just let it ride it out as the "teaser" track for the official single....no harm in that.
I think the harm is its going to delay Headlines.

Maybe itll help Drake's overall buzz tho so the album comes out on time actually :dno:

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ThatChick said:
As I've posted elsewhere, "Marvin's Room" was the most added song this week on radio beating "Otis" even (per Source magazine). And couple that with how well it's doing on itunes and it's not hard to understand why "Headlines" was pushed back a bit.

And yes, I think it was the label that wanted this released to itunes.  Drake gave the song away free and the label wasn't happy about that and took his free songs off his own blog. Just because he signed a good contract, one that's better than many new artists, doesn't mean he can just do whatever..
After a major summer hit and 3 free tracks (one that exploded), I'm not sure it's a bad thing for Drake to slow his roll and savor the success of "Marvin's Room" a bit. 

#68 debut is good. It's #23 on the R&B/Hip Hop charts, up from #35... (I'm On One is back at #1 on Billboard's R&B/Hip Hop charts btw...it's 3rd week).
What is the "label"?  YMCM?
Cuz I thought he just has a distribution deal with Universal. So Cash Money wanted to put it on itunes? I figured if that was the case Drake would have some serious say in the matter.

·
Banned
98,258 Posts
Dark-Zero said:
Most people who bought it are big drake fans because i wouldnt buy something i have for free
Shows he's getting a big fan base tbh, I would have bought it if it was released in Australia.

·
Registered
4,489 Posts

From 68 to 21 and I think with 90,00 something downloads....plus airplay picked up.

A top 20 hit on Billboard's Hot 100 for a "teaser single" that was released a month after it was given away for free. Not bad...lol Elliott Wilson said "Marvin's Room" is Drake's single, whether he likes it or not. LOL

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ThatChick said:

From 68 to 21 and I think with 90,00 something downloads....plus airplay picked up.

A top 20 hit on Billboard's Hot 100 for a "teaser single" that was released a month after it was given away for free. Not bad...lol Elliott Wilson said "Marvin's Room" is Drake's single, whether he likes it or not. LOL
I thought it would crack the top 50, but I never thought it would be #21 after 2 weeks, if the downloads and airplay keep picking up, Drake could a have a top 10 off a track he just gave away.

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
mindsonloan said:
Some of these people are fucking retarded. How is putting this on iTunes a bad idea if its selling?
My thoughts exactly.

And someone quoted Elliot Wilson, who was exactly right when he said that this is Drake's first single, whether he likes it or not.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts