Kanye to The banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so the obvious message behind PITW seems to be, "people strive to be perfect but not me, i accept my shortcomings and it is my destiny to be who i am so fuck being perfect" but theres gotta be more to it, it cant be as simple as that. and even then, there are some things that i dont understand so maybe some of you can add a little insight

for one thing, what does he mean when he says "a tick or a tock on the bomb"? also (and this is the part i find most troubling), how does he get from "people want to be perfect but not me, it is my destiny to be who i am" to "waitiiiiing, cuz i wont run away i wont run away, cowards run away"...? i guess i dont really understand the connection there. like what does that even mean? and then in the second verse, why does he transition from "perfect" is the word to "safety" is the word? there's gotta be something there.....

i guess im just trying to make sense of PITW, and anyone who can explain it to me (with depth, not just stating the obvious) would be greatly appreciated, shanks

·
Registered
75,333 Posts
There is something about death, definitely. Some people chose to live their lives perfect, some people chose to live their lives on the edge, some live by the rule of safety. Looks like he wants to live by the rules of safety, less drugs, more cautious, to avoid death. That whole Coke thing relates to it. The Tick/Tock bomb line, is like life is ticking away. Once the "bomb" goes off, well that's the end. That's death. The "I won't runaway" line ties it all together. Meaning he's not afraid.

·
Registered
5,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ManicMojo said:
There is something about death, definitely. Some people chose to live their lives perfect, some people chose to live their lives on the edge, some live by the rule of safety. Looks like he wants to live by the rules of safety, less drugs, more cautious, to avoid death. That whole Coke thing relates to it. The Tick/Tock bomb line, is like life is ticking away. Once the "bomb" goes off, well that's the end. That's death. The "I won't runaway" line ties it all together. Meaning he's not afraid.
i feel that. good shit thanks. also though, that makes me think.......... why does he go from the tick/tock bomb line, to "waitiiiingg"..... doesnt that make it seem like he's waiting for the bomb to go off (for death)?? D:

·
Registered
75,333 Posts
Mr. Rager said:
i feel that. good shit thanks. also though, that makes me think.......... why does he go from the tick/tock bomb line, to "waitiiiingg"..... doesnt that make it seem like he's waiting for the bomb to go off (for death)?? D:
Oh yeah, forgot about that. Yes, I think he is waiting. Or, Life is just the act of "waiting".

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
People in this section reach WAY too much. He's saying no one is perfect. Stop trying to analyze everything.

·
Registered
75,333 Posts
kari said:
People in this section reach WAY too much. He's saying no one is perfect. Stop trying to analyze everything.
I don't see what's so wrong with finding a meaning ones self can relate to.

G

·
Mr. Rager said:
so the obvious message behind PITW seems to be, "people strive to be perfect but not me, i accept my shortcomings and it is my destiny to be who i am so fuck being perfect" but theres gotta be more to it, it cant be as simple as that. and even then, there are some things that i dont understand so maybe some of you can add a little insight

for one thing, what does he mean when he says "a tick or a tock on the bomb"? also (and this is the part i find most troubling), how does he get from "people want to be perfect but not me, it is my destiny to be who i am" to "waitiiiiing, cuz i wont run away i wont run away, cowards run away"...? i guess i dont really understand the connection there. like what does that even mean? and then in the second verse, why does he transition from "perfect" is the word to "safety" is the word? there's gotta be something there.....

i guess im just trying to make sense of PITW, and anyone who can explain it to me (with depth, not just stating the obvious) would be greatly appreciated, shanks
I think that the "Tick ol Tock on the Bomb" line refers to something that he could of avoided and didn't listen.

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
kari said:
Why? I don't see a problem with people trying to find deeper meanings in stuff.

I've never even tried to really look into these lyrics, but this thread has been pretty insightful.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
4LK said:
Why? I don't see a problem with people trying to find deeper meanings in stuff.

I've never even tried to really look into these lyrics, but this thread has been pretty insightful.
I thought PITW was straightforward with its lyrics though.

& I was primarily talking about people trying to analyze the 27 Club thing by counting Cudi's tracks and stuff. That's like OD reaching.

·
Registered
75,333 Posts
kari said:
I thought PITW was straightforward with its lyrics though.

& I was primarily talking about people trying to analyze the 27 Club thing by counting Cudi's tracks and stuff. That's like OD reaching.
Well we weren't exactly doing that, but I see your point.

·
Registered
494 Posts
This song is fucking epic to be honest. The fact that it is Cudi playing the guitar, and Dot on bass.. FUCKING BEAST. Honestly, how many rappers/hip-hop artist do you know that would chance their career with a ROCK project? I love the fact that Cudi is growing and expanding, musically. Haha, almost makes me proud because hes my favorite :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts