Kanye to The banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a good idea? Like I will have a keyboardist, guitarist and a couple of rappers/singers. I say this because I'm not the greatest rapper like my flow/voice/mic presence is pretty rough.

·
Banned
18,305 Posts
Reason I ask is because unless your experienced in actual production and arrangement, I guarantee your band won't want to just play and sing whatever you tell them to..

You got to give your bandmates freedom. Like for the bassist, I'd tell them give me a rolling bassline or do something simple, and then we'd tweak it from there. Same thing with the other instrumentalists.

Now with the singers, it's ok to write stuff, but it's very important to give them freedom as far as what your writing, because a singer is only as good as eh are comfortable, and no one knows this better than the singer. If ey sing something that feels awkward or it's too far out of their range, it will sound bad. So you have to collab with them.

At the same time, that doesn't mean have everybody ad lib until you find something good, just work with your people.

For example, a way me and my friends come up with something is like so:

So I'll have a chord progression or something, or the bassist will have a line, a guitarist will have a riff... Etc. somebody in your band start off with something.
-then the drummer chimes in and comes up with a drum pattern, so you get a groove going.
-start throwing in other instrumentalists once you guys have the feel and the key down...
-if your vocalist wants to chime in, they can harmonize or add a melody or something to get a feel for something.
-once everyone is comfortable, start over, and hear how it sounds. Now you have something to work with that everyone is cool with.

You know where to go from there, I'm not gonna tell you how to produce and fine tune everything.

But the point I'm trying to make is that good music can be synergistic and fun, a collaborAtive process. A lot of times, old records like frm he 70s were recorded from jam sessions based off of simple chord progressions and lyrics. That's how a lot of Stevie wonder records were done. Sometimes even on the first take. But you feel that emotion and connection with the musicians when you listen to older songs..

Just my two cents

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Prince Al said:
Reason I ask is because unless your experienced in actual production and arrangement, I guarantee your band won't want to just play and sing whatever you tell them to..

You got to give your bandmates freedom. Like for the bassist, I'd tell them give me a rolling bassline or do something simple, and then we'd tweak it from there. Same thing with the other instrumentalists.

Now with the singers, it's ok to write stuff, but it's very important to give them freedom as far as what your writing, because a singer is only as good as eh are comfortable, and no one knows this better than the singer. If ey sing something that feels awkward or it's too far out of their range, it will sound bad. So you have to collab with them.

At the same time, that doesn't mean have everybody ad lib until you find something good, just work with your people.

So I'll have a chord progression or something, or the bassist will have a line, a guitarist will have a riff... Etc. somebody in your band start off with something.
-then the drummer chimes in and comes up with a drum pattern, so you get a groove going.
-start throwing in other instrumentalists once you guys have the feel and the key down...
-if your vocalist wants to chime in, they can harmonize or add a melody or something to get a feel for something.
-once everyone is comfortable, start over, and hear how it sounds. Now you have something to work with that everyone is cool with.

You know where to go from there, I'm not gonna tell you how to produce and fine tune everything.

But the point I'm trying to make is that good music can be synergistic and fun, a collaborAtive process. A lot of times, old records like frm he 70s were recorded from jam sessions based off of simple chord progressions and lyrics. That's how a lot of Stevie wonder records were done. Sometimes even on the first take. But you feel that emotion and connection with the musicians when you listen to older songs..

Just my two cents
Wow thanks for your input but it's really not for live performances just recording and making records. Kind of like Odd future meets the roots. I will be leader of course and most likely everyone I work with has side projects/ solo records but thats all on their own. It's just an idea at the moment

·
Registered
25,829 Posts
King08 said:
Wow thanks for your input but it's really not for live performances just recording and making records. Kind of like Odd future meets the roots. I will be leader of course and most likely everyone I work with has side projects/ solo records but thats all on their own. It's just an idea at the moment
It could be if you're actually good at everything. I haven't heard your writing or production so I don't know :kanyeshrug:

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
RelaxRelapse said:
I could be if you're actually good at everything. I haven't heard your writing or production so I don't know :kanyeshrug:
I'm not a great producer tbh but I have been praised for my writing skills

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Prince Al said:

Just my two cents
Damn Thats dope advice

·
Banned
18,305 Posts
King08 said:
Oh ok, well thats just different. I mean, the same stuff I said for the singers still applies.

Also the same for most instruments. I know personally, if I'm doing keys on a song, I say give me the chord progressions and the feel that you're going for and get the fuck out of the way, lol. At least thats just me, I don't really mind input, but I've worked with people who kept making me change the part and they don't even know what they're talking about.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Prince Al said:
Oh ok, well thats just different. I mean, the same stuff I said for the singers still applies.

Also the same for most instruments. I know personally, if I'm doing keys on a song, I say give me the chord progressions and the feel that you're going for and get the fuck out of the way, lol. At least thats just me, I don't really mind input, but I've worked with people who kept making me change the part and they don't even know what they're talking about.
Ha, I'll let the musicians have freedom and the singers to have input on what makes them comfortable but the rapping will be the hardest because some people will give me a hard time since they will be like I want to write my own lyrics when they don't realize that having flow, etc is talent in itself.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts