Kanye to The banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any album this year with production that compares to the sampling we got on Bandana?

Madlib has to be one of the top samplers of all time - this is a man who owns four tons of vinyl.

But how does it stack up to Pinata?

Let's start with the numbers on hand: Piñata incorporates an average of 2.8 samples per song, whereas Bandana currently manages a modest 1.5 s/ps. Even taking into account the unidentified samples, such as those that open "Soul Right" and underpin "Gat Damn," Bandana still falls far behind Piñata in terms of distinct samples.

Piñata employs 48 samples: of these, thirteen are strictly soul. That's 38% of the record, surely enough to warrant Madlib's soulful reputation. Beyond these samples, many of which form instrumental loops, Madlib pulls an eclectic selection, incorporating the funk of James Brown's revue, the prog rock of Goblin, the psych rock of Food, and the early electronica of Delia Derbyshire, to name a few.

Bandana, meanwhile, is far leaner. Whilst it would be irresponsible to claim we'd found all the samples - there's a handful I know we're missing, and perhaps a few beyond that - the tally it currently sits at a modest 23, just six of which are soul-sourced. The numbers might be less impressive, but that's still roughly 26%.

Which record was more impressive to y'all in terms of production?

Shameless plug -- I went through and compiled the story behind every single one of those 23 beats on Bandana once it came out. Here's the link if you wanna peep: https://centralsauce.com/bandana-samples-madlib-freddie-gibbs

·
Read Only
23,087 Posts
Both great records and both showcase Madlib as one of the greatest to ever do it.

Gonna read your article soon, good work OP :khaled2:

G

·
Si-$ said:
Which record was more impressive to y'all in terms of production?
pinata's production was more impressive to me, primarily because of the heavier use of samples. I thought it added a lot of character to the album and made it feel like more of a collaborative project whereas bandana feels more like a solo work over madlib production, although there's nothing wrong with that. im sure the sample trimming was so that they could avoid the album being tied up in clearance limbo

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I think Piñata is a more impressive album on a production standpoint. Much more polished and virtuosic. Bandana is a more enjoyable album for me though and has more cohesion, better songs, better rap performances, and better sequencing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts