Kanye to The banner

1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
37,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Arguably two of the greatest producers, drop some of your opinions and favorite beats by them
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bukowski said:
For someone who never listened to J Dilla before, is Donuts a good album to begin with?
hmmmm i think that wuld be a good album to start with but before probably listen to some of his key tracks like
The Pharcyde-Runnin
Common-The Light
De La Soul-Stakes is High
Mos Def-History
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
640 Posts
I listened to those tracks already, they are classics (not saying J Dilla isn't lol)
But ive been listening to Donuts for some weeks now, and I just don't "get" it.
I feel this album is praised alot, and besides "One For Ghost" I don't like a single song on it.
So I was kind of hoping someone to explain the magic that is Donuts to me, or just point me to some stuff that would learn to appriciate Donuts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bukowski said:
I listened to those tracks already, they are classics (not saying J Dilla isn't lol)
But ive been listening to Donuts for some weeks now, and I just don't "get" it.
I feel this album is praised alot, and besides "One For Ghost" I don't like a single song on it.
So I was kind of hoping someone to explain the magic that is Donuts to me, or just point me to some stuff that would learn to appriciate Donuts.
it's definitely a grower i think you should check out Champion Sound by Jaylib it's not as abstract and has some Madlib in there
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
428 Posts
i'm sure some saw this already but i just saw it the other day
really great madlib interview
http://www.laweekly.com/2010-06-24/music/the-madlib-mystique/

"Dilla was a John Coltrane-type dude. He was always on a higher level than me. He inspired my music to become looser and more soulful. If you look at our beat tapes, you can see when I went in his direction, and when he went in mine."

i really love that he said that because the influence they had on each other is undeniable

classes could be taught on dilla and madlib...i couldn't be more serious...it should happen
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,465 Posts
kollage... said:
classes could be taught on dilla and madlib...i couldn't be more serious...it should happen
Such a good interview/write-up, thx for that. My professor who's a jazz musician said the same thing about Madlib and Dilla, there is just so much depth to what they've done, pretty much like this generation's Pete Rock and Premier, we'll come to an even higher appreciation years from now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
EscoStar said:
Such a good interview/write-up, thx for that. My professor who's a jazz musician said the same thing about Madlib and Dilla, there is just so much depth to what they've done, pretty much like this generation's Pete Rock and Premier, we'll come to an even higher appreciation years from now.
well dilla's dead
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,107 Posts
atl said:
well dilla's dead
Ironically a fantastic bump, but possibly the worst post to ever bump a thread.

EDIT: Oh, I see now that you are actually a Dilla fan and this is even your thread! I still don't see your point though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Porcelina said:
Ironically a fantastic bump, but possibly the worst post to ever bump a thread.

EDIT: Oh, I see now that you are actually a Dilla fan and this is even your thread! I still don't see your point though.
im kinda confused rite now but i meant Madlib and Dilla can't be this generations DJ Premier and Pete Rock beacuse Dilla is deceased
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,107 Posts
atl said:
im kinda confused rite now but i meant Madlib and Dilla can't be this generations DJ Premier and Pete Rock beacuse Dilla is deceased
Dilla and Madlib pretty much already took that title didn't they? Unless you're saying we're moving on to a third generation...?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,984 Posts
Madlib makes some beats that are so advanced, that shit is crazy, it's like you need to listen to them so many times, the more you listen the better they get

 
1 - 20 of 128 Posts
Top