Kanye to The banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine was describing his experience at a Lupe concert, saying 'The music was good, the performance was amazing, but everyone was getting sick of his preaching and teaching bullshit'.

At first I was a little upset at this, but then I realized some people just like their music to be music, and there is nothing wrong with that.

Then I began to think. Lupe is doing all this, but is he really doing anything? Sure many of his most loyal followers have become more enlightened, which is nothing to scoff it. But in the big picture, not much has changed. I think I realized why.  There is no ultimate goal here. People like King and Malcolm X had the final goal of equal rights, so called 'hippies' had goals of peace and love, etc. etc.

Lupe has also of course made progress in helping different relief efforts and charitable programs. But I am talking about his view on society. His insistence that something about the way we live and how our country works is fundamentally wrong. I agree. But what will make it fundamentally right?

There is no goal here. There is more criticism of the present than there are solutions offered, and for that reason, I don't believe Lupe, or anyone else out there right now, will make substantial progress in the near future. Which is a shame.

·
Registered
24,666 Posts
I agree with everything you said except:

Nova said:
I don't believe anyone else out there right now, will make substantial progress in the near future. Which is a shame.
To me there is no telling who will come out of the woodwork and insprie real change. No one predicted Malcolm, Martin, Huey, Fela, Bob Marley etc. They came at the right place at the right time and helped change or bring to light important issues in society

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
A very good point, Lu is really just preaching and...that's just it. If anything, he could practice what he preaches. While I'm all for what he says, he really should try to do just that, lest he comes off as being a hypocrite; which he is.

·
Registered
24,666 Posts
Anduhroo said:
spreading awareness of a corrupt government?
Tbh Lupe is saying the same thing millions of others are. People know the government is corrupt that's common knowledge. But shouting criticism without offering solutions just makes you look preachy and never inspires real change

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
TBM said:
Tbh Lupe is saying the same thing millions of others are. People know the government is corrupt that's common knowledge. But shouting criticism without offering solutions just makes you look preachy and never inspires real change
yeah thats true.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
TBM said:
I agree with everything you said except:

To me there is no telling who will come out of the woodwork and insprie real change. No one predicted Malcolm, Martin, Huey, Fela, Bob Marley etc. They came at the right place at the right time and helped change or bring to light important issues in society
I completely agree, I just meant nobody that I see out there, doing what they are doing now, will inspire great change.

TBM said:
TOTALLY agree. This might be what irks me the most. I'd be willing to bet if you survey'd every American over 18, the majority would say there is something really wrong with our government.

Not that I can say much, I haven't done anything to bring about change. But it's rare that one person can. It's a mob mentality.

G

·
This was a good point but all he can do is preach and maybe create something where the people act out against the government.

If he can encourage people to act out against government, I think he would also be in the act of the protest or what have you. 

he alone cant do much, unless he has the help and support of the people.

·
Registered
24,666 Posts
DAVIDRKING said:
This was a good point but all he can do is preach and maybe create something where the people act out against the government.

If he can encourage people to act out against government, I think he would also be in the act of the protest or what have you. 

he alone cant do much, unless he has the help and support of the people.
How does Lupe want us to act out?

What will Lupe do if the people did act out in a negtive fashion?

How does Lupe want the government to change?

These are serious questions

G

·
TBM said:
How does Lupe want us to act out?

What will Lupe do if the people did act out in a negtive fashion?

How does Lupe want the government to change?

These are serious questions

yeah I ask myself the same questions everyday lol

the only answer I have is to start a revolution but if anything a peaceful one lol 

·
Registered
24,666 Posts
DAVIDRKING said:
yeah I ask myself the same questions everyday lol

the only answer I have is to start a revolution but if anything a peaceful one lol 
And that's cool

But my problem is that's a very general answer and there will be no sort of change without a specific game plan or at least some sort of buildup. If one of Lupe's own fans cannot answer these questions (not singling you out I'm sure there are more than a few who couldn't) then how do you expect the general public to.

Revolution is a very serious thing, and many a peaceful revolutions have either turned violent or had a violent revolution going on at the same time. It's nothing to joke about or play around with (not saying you are just a general comment).

Last thought, very few who paint themselves as revolutionaries are ones and many who ask to be revolutionaries won't step up when the time comes to show and prove

G

·
TBM said:
And that's cool

But my promblem is that's a very general answer and there will be no sort of change without a specific game plan or at least some sort of buildup. If one of Lupe's own fans cannot answer these questions (not singling you out I'm sure there are more than a few who couldn't) then how do you expect the general public to.

Revolution is a very serious thing, and many a peaceful revolutions have either turned violent or had a violent revolution going on at the same time. It's nothing to joke about or play around with (not saying you are just a general comment).

Last thought, very few who paint themselves as revolutionary are ones and many who ask to be revolutionaries won't step up when the time comes to show and prove

Yeah I feel you.

Tbh I think he will only preach about having a corrupt government with no action.

Starting a revolution takes a serious game plan and you need to have the people support you 100%.
Lupe will only continue to preach but for him to start a revolution would probably be in the same way Gandhi did. (peaceful)
but then again who knows what could happen? A group of people fought for his album Lasers, something I thought that would never happen.
But I say let Lupe preach and spread information about having a corrupt government cause you never know what the people are capable of.

·
Registered
14,808 Posts
Lavender Blonde said:
Lupe shouldn't be preaching at concerts. =/ I'd imagine that sucks the fun out of it.
Especially if he does it after I Don't Wanna Care or another hype song.

Lupe should keep all the preaching for the readers club. But at least he's making an effort to speak out about things.

·
Registered
11,184 Posts
Didn't you read his manifesto? And change starts with the man in the mirror. Instead of waiting for someone else to sprout up with a movement, why don't you instead, act on your own and be that revolution?

1 - 20 of 54 Posts